German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Does anyone have a dog that had 2 TPLO surgeries? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/461441-does-anyone-have-dog-had-2-tplo-surgeries.html)

Gretchen 06-17-2014 08:00 PM

Does anyone have a dog that had 2 TPLO surgeries?

How long was it before your dog needed a 2nd TPLO knee surgery after the first? Molly had her 1st surgery 14 months ago and of course just when I feel like she's really made progress with healing and getting back to normal activities, she is toe tapping and not bearing full weight on her non-surgical knee. The vet warned us this would happen, just curious if there is a typical time period before the 2nd knee goes out.

joneser 06-17-2014 08:30 PM

My Dane had this happen. It was 3 months between tearing the first cruciate to the 2nd. We waited 3 months between surgeries.

blehmannwa 06-17-2014 08:32 PM

With our Troidog, it was about two years. She blew one knee out at around the age of 8 and two years later, the other one went.

Her sister had a TPLO at around 3 and never had another one.
Hope all goes well with Molly.

Gretchen 06-17-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joneser (Post 5654001)
My Dane had this happen. It was 3 months between tearing the first cruciate to the 2nd. We waited 3 months between surgeries.

Wow, that must have been rough on you and your dog. Over time did the surgeries hold up well and did your dog have a good quality life?

jmdjack 06-17-2014 08:39 PM

I had a dog that had two done. It was a while ago, but to the best of my recollection we did them approximately one year apart. At the time we had the first one done, we knew that the other would have to be done as well. We did the worst one first, rehabbed it and gave the dog some time, and then did the other. I don't know if there is a typical time and don't recall any specific recommendation from the vet on this. Our decisions were driven based on the dog's condition and quality of life.

Nigel 06-17-2014 08:44 PM

Crap, Molly needs the other side done for sure? Sucks to hear this.

Gretchen 06-17-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5654089)
Crap, Molly needs the other side done for sure? Sucks to hear this.

Thanks for your concern.
We haven't got the "official" diagnosis from the vet yet, but I am too well aware of the signs. I'm not looking forward to keeping her calm and downstairs which means sleeping next to her on the sofa for 3 months. My daughter helps too, but we got a cheap, uncomfortable couch.

Gretchen 06-17-2014 09:19 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. Did you feel your dogs had a good quality of life after both knees were repaired?

DaniFani 06-17-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 5654393)
Thanks for everyone's input. Did you feel your dogs had a good quality of life after both knees were repaired?

I haven't personally had a dog with TPLO repairs. However, I know a couple of working dogs that went on fine after the surgeries. One just got her TR2 in tracking last year, the other has multiple rally and OB titles. One just joined out club, and she is starting bite work soon. Another has been working in bitework for a year since both of hers. TPLO repairs are my worst fear, but the dogs I know with them are all happy and involved in sport. Most of them had the second one blow within a year (I believe), I think I only know of one that only had one happen. Good luck, sorry you're going through this.

Colie CVT 06-18-2014 01:54 AM

We very often do bilateral TPLO surgeries where I work. We actually did one this past friday on a rottie that was barely over a year. Normally it seems like if they are going to have trouble with the other leg, it is about a year out. Some dogs never do. We did a study comparing the TPLO to the TTA, and some of the dogs ended up having both of them done within the year time frame (which kind of changed their status in the study).

Least the upside is that with the TPLO we didn't tend to see dogs back for limping on the same leg because they tore their meniscus about 6 months out if it hadn't been at time of surgery. xD