German Shepherds Forum banner

Really stinky farts

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Lucy&Jax 
#1 ·
JAX's farts bring tears to my eyes, they are silent and deadly :sick: The food he is currently on is Purina Beta Large Breed With Turkey.

Composition: Cereals (wholegrain 20%), Meat and animal derivatives (meat 14%, turkey 4%), Vegetable protein extracts, Oils and fats, Derivatives of vegetable origin (dried beet pulp 1.1%), Vegetables (dried chicory root 1.1%), Minerals.

Additives: Nutritional additives: IU/kg: Vit A: 18 300; Vit D3: 1 070; Vit E 145; mg/kg: Fe (E1): 76; I (E2): 1.9; Cu (E4): 8.4; Mn (E5): 5.7; Zn (E6): 135; Se (E8): 0.18; Vit C 140. With antioxidants.

I don't know if anything in this is causing it but any help would be appreciated to stop him lol :help::eek:

#2 ·
At times the lacking of a dog's digestive system being able to break down and utilize the carbohydrates in it's diet....I'd be suspect of the "Cereals (wholegrain 20%)" if JAX's farts are caused by this. Gulping down food can be a contributing factor as well....so I have read.

Maybe try a raw diet and see if that ceases the stinkies....

SuperG

#4 ·
Are his poops normal looking?

If his poops are runny, yellowish and impossible to pick up then along with the stinky gas, he may have SID small intestinal dysbiosis and will benefit from a course of Tylosin (Tylan) or Metronidazole antibiotic, depending on the bacteria in his gut. Otherwise a pre-probiotic may help his gut. Definitely something to discuss with your Vet.

#5 ·
Check what treats you feed him,easier to switch treats or cut them back
If that's what's causing the poor air quality:eek:
Switching Dog food should be done slowly to prevent bad side effects,
I've always found GSD's to very sensitive sudden food changes.

#6 · (Edited)
Going to sound really stupid now but what do you mean by a raw diet? I've seen it taken about a lot.

His poop is normal, never had an issue in that department lol

He gets tripe training treats, a dentastix before bed and just normal dog biscuits (no colouring) when we go for a walk (as encouragement to return to me off lead)

#8 ·
Doesn't sound stupid at all....

A raw diet is a diet consisting of raw meat, bones and organs...think of a wolf, coyote or fox and what they eat.

There is a rather high percentage of people in this forum which feed their dogs a raw diet.

If you should choose to explore the wonderful benefits of feeding your dog a raw diet, make sure and ask many questions as you do your research on the proper raw diet for your dog.

SuperG

#12 ·
Treats like dog bones from China are killing hundred's of animals. Stop one thing per week until you can handle the odor. I had undigested shredded chicken, dogs must not have gag reflexes, because I nearly dropped to the concrete after a slight whiff and hurled for several minutes, because I could not stop gagging..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.