Runny poo/sensitive stomach-best dog food? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Runny poo/sensitive stomach-best dog food?

I have a question. Our male german shepherd, 7 months, has had soft runny stools, we've been to the bet every two weeks, tried a bunch of brands, and the only thing that has worked so far is the prescription Royal Canine Gastro Puppy (?) the downfall is, a) it's a prescription, and b) it costs $40 for an 8lb bag that lasts 10 days...we feed our choc lab Canidae, we don't like low end dog food, but honestly, $120 a month for one dog for dog food is a bit much...has anyone had experience? Or have any recommendations on good foods? We've tried, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Blue Buff Basics, Canidae, Royal canine GD puppy, Wellness, and I'm sure I'm missing one...we've also tried using probiotics on his food as well as pumpkin, no luck. And all his tests have came back great...thank you all for any help!
KMorley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

We're going through the exact same thing right now with our Shiloh pup. 5 Months, thought it may have been Giardia, so treated for that, meds worked for 2 days, then stopped working the rest of the 5 days. Vet said it wasn't Giardia because the meds wouldn't just stop working... so we tried probiotics, those help the first BM after having the probiotics but don't help the rest... so our next step is switching her food... we're going to be trying Natural's Choice Lamb recipe. She's on Acana LBP right now, but we're having trouble finding a local LBP food that doesn't have grains or chicken as the main ingredient.
Tattersail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm wondering if it might be a bout of giardia (or even coccidia). Giardia is very, very hard to spot in a fecal test, so it gets missed a lot. Conditions have to be "just right" to catch it on the slide.

Whipworms can also be very tricky to spot on a slide. I've had many shelter techs miss them, only to have our rescue's vet find them a week or two later. Re-running the fecal test is possibly worth doing. I have known a lot of dogs who had "negative" fecal tests one week who then had "positive" tests a week later upon being re-tested, when we were skeptical of the "negative" result.

With that many food changes, I wonder if the frequent food changes themselves may be stoking this. That's a lot of foods -- how long were you on each one of them? Have you tried novel proteins and a limited ingredient diet long enough (~10 weeks) to see if it's an allergy?

What probiotic did you use? For how long? What about digestive enzymes?

Last edited by Magwart; 06-10-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The Honest Kitchen brand, grain or no grain - both are easy to digest
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

We use Loyall Lamb and Rice made by Nutrena/Cargill. We wet through two rounds of treatment for Giardia so I know what you are going through either the hard to clean up stools. Since he has been in that, he has also stopped scratching/corn nibbling all the time and his runny eyes has stopped as well. Success!
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi, KMorley, I sent you a PM.
Aviorwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This works really well for my dogs when needed
The Honest Kitchen Perfect Form Herbal Dog & Cat Nutritional Supplement

Read the reviews...very good!

Last edited by GSDLoverII; 06-11-2014 at 01:11 PM.
GSDLoverII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I know a few folks who have had lots of success with Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. Might be worth looking in to. You could do a search here on the forum and see where it's popped up in discussions before. I know I've read a few things about it working for dogs with loose stools when other kibbles did not, or as an alternative to prescription kibble.
_Zero_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

BilJak Sensitive Solutions.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Pro plan sensitive skin and stomach that food is amazing. I used it for my Dane and one of my Goldens. I can't say enough good about it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.