German Shepherds Forum banner

I'm so upset =( (problem w/puppy following neuter surgery)

10K views 121 replies 29 participants last post by  Diesel7602 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My boy got neuter today. Every thing went fine, until 4 hours later. He started to have diarrhea, now it's blood. I called the vet after hours and they said that that's not normal, he has to go the the er soon as possible.
I just can't stop crying, I don't want anything to happen to him. I have only had him for a few months, but my bond with him is so strong =( just had to vent.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#5 ·
I hope he is okay. Some dogs have bad reactions to anesthesia. Usually ut slows the digestive tract down a lot. In some cases it does the opposite.

Hopefully some fluids and a bland diet will help.

Good thoughts coming your way.

#13 ·
Any updates? I hope he's feeling better

#18 · (Edited)
Perseus just got home a few hours ago. They had him suck to a Iv all night. They said they think he is a having a bad reactions to the anaesthesia. He has to be on a diet of white rice, chicken, and broth. I have to keep a good eye on him. If he gets worse, he has to go back in. Gosh, I feel like such a baby. I was so worried, I couldn't turn off the water works. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts.

#22 ·
Perseus just got home a few hours ago. They had him suck to a Iv all night. They said they think he is a having a bad reactions to the anaesthesia. He has to be on a diet of white rice, chicken, and broth. I have to keep a good eye on him. If he gets worse, he has to go back in. Gosh, I feel like such a baby. I was so worried, I couldn't turn off the water works. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts.

He will be better in no time !

#20 ·
Poor thing :( I hope he feels better soon, hopefully the rest and fluids helped

#24 ·
You should ask them (Vet) what anesthesia they used. Then search this on the MDR1 list of NO and possible NO.

If it is on the list, then maybe, just maybe your vet is responsible and should be paying for post reaction treatment.

Herding dogs are at most risk of MDR1, Shepherds are herding breed. Estimated that 10% of GSD's are mutant. The vet SHOULD know this and stayed away from anesthetic (or pre) on the list.

busteralert.org

^^^link to WSU in this link above

Many different drugs and drug classes have been reported to cause problems in Collies and other herding breed dogs that carry the MDR1 mutation. We and other researchers have documented the toxicity that occurs with several of these drugs.

Acepromazine (tranquilizer and pre-anesthetic agent). In dogs with the MDR1 mutation, acepromazine tends to cause more profound and prolonged sedation. We recommend reducing the dose by 25% in dogs heterozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/normal) and by 30-50% in dogs homozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/mutant).
Butorphanol (analgesic and pre-anesthetic agent). Similar to acepromazine, butorphanol tends to cause more profound and prolonged sedation in dogs with the MDR1 mutation.We recommend reducing the dose by 25% in dogs heterozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/normal) and by 30-50% in dogs homozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/mutant).

IF...and I say if, your dog is MDR1, then he is also at risk of many HW/flea/tick preventions...so check out the more comprehensive list on Buster Alert.

#26 ·
This is very interesting! I need to find out and see what kind of blood work she can do. Just incase next time he might need surgery again. Poor dog=( it made me feel worse because I was the one that had him get surgery =( the vet even tried to send me home with no pain meds. Only a shot right after to help him. She tried to tell me, oh he won't need them, it's just a neuter, it's worse for female. I told her I don't care and I got some any ways so he is at ease for a few good days.

#36 · (Edited)
Mine did. So the fact that others don't doesn't help me.

Why take the chance? At the very least she should've been warned and given the opportunity to make the decision.

ETA I meant that mine had problems after that, not the same problems the OP is having. Mine developed really bad allergies.

Also, if her issues happened because of all that given at once then the fact that it's rare is of no consolation to her either.
I'm just saying she should've been told about this and given the chance to decide.

#37 ·
If you get your little one neutered before he is physically mature, then there's a strong chance that he won't ever begin to lift his leg during peeing. He might squat permanently -- no biggie. Not only does early neutering potentially prevent leg hiking in male puppies, it also often stops other behaviors that are linked to sexual maturity, whether urine marking, aggressive fights with other males, restlessness, low concentration or constant frenzied runaway missions. Puppies frequently undergo neutering before they are reproductively mature -- before 6 months old.
this is my own opinion. other will disagree, i didn't get him done before he lift his leg so he wouldn't lift his leg. i wanted him done before he lift his leg, which shows he is sexual maturity .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.