advice on anxiety/seperation/dementia? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default advice on anxiety/seperation/dementia?

I have a gsd called Mia who is 14 and 3 months of age.
She has started this awful whining between half six and half seven every night. Nothing happens at this time apart from we usually settle down to watch the soaps. At first we thought she was in pain due to arthritis and took her the vets for a check up. I took a video of the whining to show the vet. The vet confirmed she did have arthritis in her shoulders now ( already had it in her back legs) so upped her tramadol dose but did discuss could be other things also. She now has one tablet in the morning, which then lasts 8 hours according to the vet and to then give her the second one to get her through the evening. We thought great, glad we have sorted it. But the whining has not stopped.
My husband is convinced it is behavioural. She will go all day without a murmur then as soon as I'm home it starts. The other night I went out for dinner with friends and my husband said she was quiet the entire time. As soon as I got back she started. The weird thing is she doesn't look at me when she's doing it. Tonight I have tested the theory. Sat here watching t.v. and she starts. As soon as I go into the hall way she stops. As soon as I come back she starts. Surely a dog in pain would continue regardless of whether I was in the room or not? We never hear the whining at night or are ever woken up by it which is another reason my husband says it is not pain related. I have just taken her out for a walk this evening in the hope that might tire her out and make her sleep.
She has been doing this for the last month or so.
Last week me and hubby went on holiday for a week to Portugal. My parents looked after her. When we dropped her off she fell asleep on the rug so rather than have big goodbyes we just snook out. For two days she was fine. Then she stopped eating and refused anything and everything my parents offered. They were reduced to hand feeding her chicken breast and called the vet several times for advice. I had told my vet I would be away and trust her to do anything needed in case of emergency. Mia was an absolute state when I got home and my poor parents nerves were in shreds. She goes to my parents any days me and my husband are both at work. I drop her off at 8 and collect her at 4. She grew up most of years in this family home. But I guess she has always been my dog. When I moved out to live with hubby four years ago my parents suggested keeping her as we work but she got so distressed at seeing me every now and again rather than all the time. My parents are convinced she was pining for me while I was away. She started eating as soon as we got her home but was very off with me. She followed me everywhere, lay next to me but kept giving me filthy looks. It was only today (almost a week after returning from holiday) that I received a greeting on my return from work with a lick and waggy tail.
Is this separation anxiety, attention seeking or dementia? I know not to reward the behaviour by fussing over her but is there anything else to do or not do?

At a loss what to do. It's heart breaking to listen to.
I am ignoring her as I write this and she has now settled.
Pinkflamingo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Old dogs, like people, have a harder time adjusting to change.
My 14 year(s) old got demented and followed me everywhere to the point of exhaustion. Some I have euthanized when their brains went haywire as no one had quality of life, whether us or the dogs themselves.
For now make her life as predictable as possible, maybe crate her more often if she is crate trained at all. She is not mad at you, but more likely keeping a close eye on you that you interpret as "being mad" because you feel guilty (?).
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Old dogs, like people, have a harder time adjusting to change.
My 14 year(s) old got demented and followed me everywhere to the point of exhaustion. Some I have euthanized when their brains went haywire as no one had quality of life, whether us or the dogs themselves.
For now make her life as predictable as possible, maybe crate her more often if she is crate trained at all. She is not mad at you, but more likely keeping a close eye on you that you interpret as "being mad" because you feel guilty (?).
Thank you for your advice.
I also forgot to mention I am five months pregnant. Someone on another forum who knew this has suggested this might be the cause. My change in smell maybe? It has just started to sink in with my husband and I. I wonder if we are giving off anxious/excited/nervous vibes...
Old 06-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Your description sounds like Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. I just went through this with my senior non-GSD.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

and besides that, your pregnancy is a major change too. My dogs have always reacted to that. Female became clingier, male more distant.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVGSD View Post
Your description sounds like Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. I just went through this with my senior non-GSD.
I have just looked it up on You Tube. Think you are right there!
She does many of the other 'symptoms' - circling, standing/getting stuck in cornors, greeting me then forgetting where I am.

Thankyou so much for your comment.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

maybe this one behavior where it would be ok to pet here during this behavior.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it is such a gift to have them this long... I think it is OK to spoil her and make her feel comfortable. Maybe she is just telling you the story of her day when the family settles down to watch TV. love her and spoil her... She has earned it.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelGSD View Post
I think it is such a gift to have them this long... I think it is OK to spoil her and make her feel comfortable. Maybe she is just telling you the story of her day when the family settles down to watch TV. love her and spoil her... She has earned it.
Thankyou. I do. She is my best friend. Love her so much. I tell her all the time she is the best dog in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.