German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Two year roller coaster - now bloat?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/457450-two-year-roller-coaster-now-bloat.html)

scubajoe 06-05-2014 01:57 PM

Two year roller coaster - now bloat??

Our dog has been up and down for the last two years with her liver problems. We've had her on all sorts of supplements, and now she's on a maintenance dose of prednisone (in addition to the S-adenosyl and milk thistle), as she kept getting skin infections, and the pads of her feet were splitting open. Vets believe it's all related to the liver.

Last week she stopped eating. This has happened many times before over the last few years. Sometimes a food change works (although that's a bit risky, as her system doesn't always handle it well). Sometimes some broth or meat mixed in. I didn't think much of it, gave her a couple days, and started mixing some beef with it and she's eaten the last few days.

Then my wife noticed a lot of swelling of her abdomen, and a little more trouble walking than normal. She got worried this morning, so I said maybe it's time for a trip back to the vet. I thought about bloat, but anytime I've ever heard of it it seemed like a pretty sudden thing, and I've always thought that they deteriorated pretty fast.

Reading up on it, I guess that's not necessarily the case. I think I've convinced myself that bloat will be the prognosis, but waiting to hear back from the vet after the xray. Of course, then I read about the different forms, and can only hope that we have a chance to treat it with a minimally invasive procedure. She's about 10 years old, and I really don't want to talk about surgery. She's been through so much.

hunterisgreat 06-05-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubajoe (Post 5605930)
Our dog has been up and down for the last two years with her liver problems. We've had her on all sorts of supplements, and now she's on a maintenance dose of prednisone (in addition to the S-adenosyl and milk thistle), as she kept getting skin infections, and the pads of her feet were splitting open. Vets believe it's all related to the liver.

Last week she stopped eating. This has happened many times before over the last few years. Sometimes a food change works (although that's a bit risky, as her system doesn't always handle it well). Sometimes some broth or meat mixed in. I didn't think much of it, gave her a couple days, and started mixing some beef with it and she's eaten the last few days.

Then my wife noticed a lot of swelling of her abdomen, and a little more trouble walking than normal. She got worried this morning, so I said maybe it's time for a trip back to the vet. I thought about bloat, but anytime I've ever heard of it it seemed like a pretty sudden thing, and I've always thought that they deteriorated pretty fast.

Reading up on it, I guess that's not necessarily the case. I think I've convinced myself that bloat will be the prognosis, but waiting to hear back from the vet after the xray. Of course, then I read about the different forms, and can only hope that we have a chance to treat it with a minimally invasive procedure. She's about 10 years old, and I really don't want to talk about surgery. She's been through so much.

Bloats pretty scary. Follow the vets advice. 10 is up there... I'd have difficult decisions to make if there was any damaged tissue at all :-(

Sincerely wish you the best of luck!

huntergreen 06-05-2014 03:07 PM

if bloat even enters your mind when dog is not right, i would get to the vet pronto. better to go and be wrong than act too late to be sure your right.

scubajoe 06-05-2014 03:38 PM

And that's exactly what we did. Wife is going to talk to the vet in a bit. They wouldn't tell her anything over the phone, so I suspect it's not good news.

huntergreen 06-05-2014 03:41 PM

i am hoping you are wrong about and it is a wasted trip an burp cured all.

BowWowMeow 06-05-2014 04:08 PM

I hope your dog is ok--sending all good thoughts your way!

My dog Chama bloated when she was 14. No torsion, just bloat. The e-vet strongly pressured me to euthanize her but I refused because she looked ok, just very round. They gave her a shot of narcotic pain meds that almost killed her but I was able to get her through the bloat by alternating between activated charcoal and Gas X and keeping her moving (lots of very short, slow walks). Unlike the vet's dire predictions, she did not bloat again.

scubajoe 06-05-2014 05:06 PM

Well, vet doesn't think it's bloat .... not that that's good news.

They think it's more progression on her liver disease, and she seemed to think she's near the end. The X-ray showed a lot of fluid in her abdomen, and her liver was larger than it was the last time they did an x-ray. Sent her home with a diuretic to get rid of the fluids, and see what happens. Didn't sound very optimistic, but this dog has surprised us several times before.

One thing is for certain, it's going to be a rough couple days dealing with the diuretic.

huntergreen 06-05-2014 05:35 PM

sorry for the not so encourage ing news.

scubajoe 06-05-2014 05:46 PM

Read some other stuff related to this situation. Doesn't look great, but I guess we'll see what happens over the next couple days. They did say she had gained 20 pounds since her last visit, only a month or two ago. I didn't believe it, but this certainly explains it. The diuretic they gave her was already working, and she was peeing a lot at the office, so hopefully this will reduce the fluid quickly .... and not all over the floor.

BowWowMeow 06-05-2014 05:51 PM

I hope that helps to make her more comfortable. Set your alarm and take turns taking her out.