Do ya smell that smell??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Location: I live in Northeastern Oklahoma on a Cherokee indian reservation.(No we dont live in TP's anymore!)
Unhappy Do ya smell that smell???

I have a full grown black lab that lives with my GSD. As we all know, labs love water. So I had an extra kiddy pool that was big enough for him to get in. Needless to say he LOVES it. He constantly dips in there to cool off. Sounds great. Until the pool started to get dirty. I cleaned it frequently but it has some kind of algea or moss growing on the bottom that will not come off. That plus him dipping in then running around outside or doing whatever else he does, has absolutely made him stink to high heaven!! I realize dogs have their own natural smell but this is worse than month old unwashed homeless feet!!! Yesterday I lathered him up in soap and let it sit for about 5 min before I washed him off and it took his stink from level 10 to level 8.9 on a stink rating! lol The goal is to have both dogs inside but he smells like a man that lives in a van down by the river. Does anyone know any really good shampoo, a small pool that will not be as easy for algea or whatever it is to bond to, or even some type of tablet or something that I could put in the water to clean it? I dumped out his pool yesterday to keep him from getting in it. Any ideas will help!!! I want him to be able to have some kind of pool to cool down in!
OklahomaGSDonTheRez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a kiddie pool for my GSD. I dump and refill regularly. We live in South Florida so mosquitoes love it to. The pool gets some green on the bottom within a couple of days but it easily washes off. Not sure what you have but I would try bleach since that kills mold, etc.
Maybe you could try some diluted apple cider vinegar and water rinse for the dog.
Lynn & Traveler
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think the key is getting the dog completely dry.

Kind of hard when they are in and out of the pool all day but at least at the end of the day get him dried really good.

Apple cider vinegar rinses are very soothing to the skin.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't use a kiddie pool, they are too hard to dump and keep clean. I purchased a plastic horse trough and use that. It's deeper and I don't get the nasties growing in the bottom. I dump it every other day.

I have a LH GSD. He swims in our pond every day and is rarely completely dry. I bathe him often because he'll get really stinky. After his bath, he doesn't smell at all. If yours does, I'd be more concerned with the possibility of a gland infection.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Try adding baking soda to your shampoo, lather him up, and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Then rinse, and do a final rinse with a vinegar and water solution. Dry the dog as thoroughly as you can; put him in a crate with lots of dry towels and put a fan on him. Between baths, spray him down with the vinegar/water solution, especially on the trouble areas like under his chin and neck, ears, feet, or anyplace that stinks.

Labs tend to have an odor if they are wet all the time, especially black Labs. I don't know what it is about black dogs, but regardless of breed, they tend to have a distinctive odor. I call it "black dog whiff". The baking soda helps neutralize the odor, and the vinegar helps ward off growth of yeast, bacteria and mildew.

Alternatively, take him to a professional groomer!
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh, and clean out your kiddie pool with bleach and water often.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

The OP said she bathed the dog and he still stinks pretty bad. I assumed this had nothing to do with the dog staying wet. I KNOW that wet moldy smell since Traveler stays pretty damp particularly in the summer with our high humidity levels. I do a reverse flow of the wet/dry vac and blow him as dry as possible but that's not 100% effective. A serious doggie dryer is one option I would consider.
Lynn
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

did he develop a yeast skin infection?
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Location: I live in Northeastern Oklahoma on a Cherokee indian reservation.(No we dont live in TP's anymore!)

Wow, I have never heard of using apple cider and vinegar with baking soda! I will definitely give it a try. I think the source of the problem is that he is rarely dry! Is there a ratio to the apple cider and vinegar or is half and half good? Is the vinegar and apple ciger better than dog shampoos? Seems a little more natural which I am definitelly down for!
OklahomaGSDonTheRez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

The spot right above their tail seems to be really slow to dry and last summer did give my pup a certain 'odor'. After washing it well with his shampoo, I used vinegar on it (I gave him another bath a day or so later as I couldn't stand that vinegary smell). After going through that, I found that paying special attention particularly to that spot helped. In our humid weather, I think he was actually mildewing!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.