90% urgent help needed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default 90% urgent help needed

I walked into the door tonight to 8 huge piles of diarrhea all over the carpet and pee all over my couch. From the looks of one of the piles Gunther ate a bird's nest that fell out of the tree. He is only drooling right now off and on. His behavior is completely normal and he seems to be over the worst of it. I took his food away for the night and plan on boiling some white rice for him, nothing else. Not sure whether to limit is water or not. I went through an entire roll of viva paper towels and 3 washcloths cleaning just the carpet. I'm not concerned about the cleaning, I am concerned about his health. Obviously if he wasn't acting completely normal like nothing happened I would be much more concerned.

Is the rice only idea good or does he need his food? How about water intake? Please let me know, I don't want to starve him or dehydrate him.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 02:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Rice would probably be good to help settle his stomache. And I would give him a good amount of water. If he gets too dehydrated due to the diarrhea, I would think that could cause more problems. White rice and lots of fluid until you get normal bowel movements. That's what I would do, at least.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Thank you! I browned some hamburger but drained it and rinsed it out completely and dried it to rid of all grease. Since I've been home I went and found the remainder of the nest and threw it out and he has only drooled twice more. Knock on wood, I think it's almost over. Not much sleep for me tonight!

Old 06-05-2014, 02:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

He will most likely recover quicker if you do not feed anything for 24 hours just provide water. On day 2 feed half his normal food.
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 02:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packen View Post
He will most likely recover quicker if you do not feed anything for 24 hours just provide water. On day 2 feed half his normal food.
I'll keep that in mind, thank you. I already fed him some rice, I could tell he was really wanting something but don't plan on giving anymore tonight. If this doesn't go well I'll cut him off for the remainder of the time. Thank you!

Old 06-05-2014, 03:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

In retrospect I think it might be puddles of drool on the couch not pee. But I can't tell from smell probably because the overwhelming odor of the other issue. Either way I'm not sitting on that couch tonight, or until I can clean it with the machine. Which now I have to do tomorrow.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

The worst part of all of it? The horrible knowledge that while I was at work my poor baby was feeling like he was dying and not knowing what was wrong. My husband was in bed asleep and I wasn't even home. I feel like such a failure to Gunther that I wasn't here when he needed me. I love this dog so much and the fact that he was hurt, confused, and scared without me to help hurts more than anything.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well he knows you care...he sees you taking care of him now. Hope he gets better fast.
emilybyrne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 04:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

There was no way you could have known something like this was going to happen. Accidents happen. The important thing is you're there now to make him feel better.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 05:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Thank you both for that. I stopped feeling guilty when he obviously started feeling better. He is back to his ornery self. He had a good hard sleep and is up fighting with me, talking back, tugging my arm to go out, and doing zoomies around the yard. If only I could keep him away from his feces and other stuff. But I can't walk around in the dark without stepping all in it and the best I can do is watch and re-direct. Why he feels the need to go eat what his body has already expelled is far beyond my reach of understanding. It makes me shudder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.