Great. (moved to health) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Great. (moved to health)

So, my manager puppy sat for us last weekend and I had given her the food that he's been on for a few months already and she had told me that her bulldogs + my dog managed to get into the dog food bag that I had given her and they ate the whole thing. This was.. on Sunday, I think. So she told me that she had been giving him Blue Buffalo.. because.. what else could have been done since all they have near their place is a Petsmart and they don't sell the brand of food I was giving my dog.

Anyway, we picked him up Monday evening and he got right back onto his normal food. Everything was normal. In the morning, my boyfriend took him out to use the potty, then an hour or so later, I got up to feed him because I had to get ready for work and I took him out one last time before I left and I put him right back in his crate.

I get home from work and he's literally covered in poop. Diarrhea came to visit and it decided to self-destruct all over the front right side of his WIRED crate, mind you. Poop and poopy water was all over the place.. and the smell is unforgiving. Sorry for the details.

It HAS to be because he was randomly switched, FOR A DAY, to Blue Buffalo.

What I was wanting to ask was what on earth can I do so I don't have to clean up another big fat splurge of diarrhea off the floor tomorrow (IF it does happen again)? My boyfriend and I both work in the morning and no one is here to take him out until the poop rampage is over. I don't want to leave him outside in the backyard until I get home because he's only 6 months and he's still in land shark mode, plus I live in Texas. IT'S HOT.

Last edited by kakarot; 06-03-2014 at 05:40 PM.
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Pumpkin? I think a little spoonful at each meal should help.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Unfortunately I'm not able to help, but one my stepdad gave my dog a piece of steak and the next day I come home to see that he had a massive diarrhea attack all over a 156 sq foot persian rug that my mom has owned for over 20 years. Fortunately we were able to have it dry cleaned, and there is no trace of that event ever having taken place, but it was an expensive lesson.
Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-
CharlieB.Barkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

check with your vet but i have used imodium.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

If your pup still has major diarrhea, one suggestion would be to rest his gut from food for 12 hours with offering water only.

If you feel he is ready for food, mix equal parts of boiled, shredded, boneless chicken breast with plain canned pumpkin (no spices). Feed a small meal and watch. In a few hours if no diarrhea, feed another small meal. If he handles this, switch to a full size meal and keep him on this mix for one or two days to let his gut rest. If all is well, begin to introduce his regular food in small amounts and wean off of the chicken/pumpkin mix.

Slippery Elm capsules opened up and mixed with his food can sooth the intestinal tract. You can purchase this at a local health food store. Good to have on hand for tummy upsets and diarrhea......dogs or humans!

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

make sure your dog is staying hydrated.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.