German Shepherds Forum banner

URGENT please, need specific's re: diagnostics (fear Hemangio), Vet tomorrow a.m.

16K views 161 replies 34 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 · (Edited)
So. I think Gator is very sick. We have an appointment Wed. June 4 in the a.m. As noted in title, I fear the worst. Not sure if it's b/c of everything I have read here regarding HS and I am seeing similarities (or maybe I'm wrong), maybe I am just being neurotic/paranoid and this is an infection.

Naturally when I booked the app. the Vet wasn't available to discuss what testing I could be looking at, as well $$$ for.

I did ask the receptionist to book a time slot that could include x-rays as I don't want to reschedule for. They don't anesthetize for (that's a plus)

I got a cup off her to bring in a urine sample.

First, I know I will need to do a CBC, and Chem:

What specifically should be the add-on to this, CBC + reticulocytes (?) - what abnormality could be found in a CBC?
What Chem screen? In anyones exp. what abnormality would be found in this panel that may point to cancer?

On to x-rays. Looking from bowel to heart (lungs I am concerned with, and/or heart as symptoms could be related). How many need to be taken?

I do NOT have an unlimited amount of money. I have to be extremely careful for what and on what I am paying for. Choices have to be made and I don't know this vet and I don't want to get caught up in emotion at the time as I have in past. I could be wiped out ($$$), find nothing and have nothing for further tests.

Thank you in advance

P.S. I'm scared

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh, right.

He is having breathing problems in morning, sounds like fluids (seemed to go away after a.m. walk)
Monday, a couple hrs. later the breathing was heavy through nose/throat (if that makes sense), as in I could hear it w/o having to put my ear to him
nausea - no vomiting, but seems like slight regurgitation or reflux (with or w/o food), swallowing and licking lips.
No exercise tolerance, seems weak, in pain.
Sometimes lethargy when time to go out.

There's more, but can't think

Still excellent appetite, Still rambunctious greeting at door.
Still wants to kill kitties:rolleyes:

Um...
That face, when they put their ears back and look at you sad, when it is usually the happiest time (like going for walk) for him

#4 ·
For Jaeger, we did bloodwork and a urinalysis, which both came back clear and showed no signs of cancer. We then moved on to the ultrasound and chest X-rays, and that gave us the diagnosis.
I will keep my fingers crossed that it's nothing too serious.

#5 ·
If he is so sick and is having trouble breathing and seems to be in pain, why are you waiting to take him in? I would have taken him in immediately.

Also, if you have limited funds, maybe you should look into getting a credit card. I got a credit card for emergencies incase something ever happened to one of my animals, it has a $10,000 limit.

#6 ·
If he is so sick and is having trouble breathing and seems to be in pain, why are you waiting to take him in? I would have taken him in immediately.

Also, if you have limited funds, maybe you should look into getting a credit card. I got a credit card for emergencies incase something ever happened to one of my animals, it has a $10,000 limit.
B/C he is breathing, just seems to be heavy, like if you have a cold.
He is aging, arthritis could be the pain I'm seeing along with joint damage from the pit bull attack a month ago. Comes and goes. It's also extremely hot and humid and in past 3 yrs has shown lethargy on walks in heat waves.

If I could, I would. Life.
Thanks.

#8 ·
Our first shepherd girl many moons ago had this cancer. She was my running partner and started limping. I brought her in thinking she hurt her leg running. The vets first thought a tick disease. She had pale gums. Xrays didn't show anything, blood work was ok. Ultrasound showed a small mass in spleen/liver.
We scheduled a surgery and when we brought her in she had lost weight in just a few days. When they operated they found it had spread all over and we put her to sleep then.

She didn't show lethargy nor did she have heavy breathing. Just the limp, and pale gums.

I hope your pup is fine.

#11 · (Edited)
chf?..edit: ugh, never mind, congestive heart failure. dah.

Brought on by HS?

#10 ·
No pale gums here. Not yet.

Something else, not sure if significant. There are a few area's on his skin that have these little tiny rust coloured dots. At first thought some type of parasite, not itchy or bothered by. Not raised, or scabby, not flea dirt...dime size area, but in 3 area's that I found, shoulder area.

#13 ·
#16 ·
He has always checked out well on heart rate. In fact all vets have said Wow, has really good strong heart.

Other then CHF or HS...parasites? He had ate cat poop awhile ago, treating for parasites. Lung flukes? What could he have got from a cat?

#15 ·
Early symptoms of HS would have him recovering from small bleeds each time. Bleeds become. Bleeds become progressively worse and much more noticeable. They become. anemic and low on platelets. Then bleeds can start anywhere including lungs but this would be very near to the end..

Floyd was diagnosed by symptoms and blood work.

Carmspack Gus

#18 ·
Early symptoms of HS would have him recovering from small bleeds each time. Bleeds become. Bleeds become progressively worse and much more noticeable. They become. anemic and low on platelets. Then bleeds can start anywhere including lungs but this would be very near to the end..

Floyd was diagnosed by symptoms and blood work.

Carmspack Gus
K. This is what I'm looking for in blood work? Gums are good. He is having bowel issues too (re: prior post)

I had read a post on another thread about HS had taken the dog via the lungs. This is what got me thinking about it. Then Duenorth's post about the Mass in bowel.

That is why I am thinking x-rays bowel to heart. At $150 for set up and 1st film and then $75 a shot, going to add up. Bloods and exam are going to run at least $250

If HS and has metastasized to liver, would there be any significance in values

#17 ·
I would have bloodwork done. Discuss Chem10 vs. Chem 17. CBC to check for infection. Chest xray to look for abnormalities possibly tumors depending on blood work results.

Really, I think you are better off discussing with your vet the needed testing based on the exam. Of course, I trust my vet 100% which helps in that.

#19 ·
I would have bloodwork done. Discuss Chem10 vs. Chem 17. CBC to check for infection. Chest xray to look for abnormalities possibly tumors depending on blood work results.

Really, I think you are better off discussing with your vet the needed testing based on the exam. Of course, I trust my vet 100% which helps in that.
I don't know this vet. Couldn't get an app. with one I wanted to go to for a month who also a chiro.

I don't want to get caught up in tier testing. Don't have the money to get for example a blood test that costs $100, to find an anomaly then they say, well we can do a more specific test which is the exact same with inclusion of...like what I posted about reticulocytes (young blood cells). Not offered in an CBC, a CBC+

#20 ·
ok but without examining him nobody can really recommend the proper diagnostics. If he's having problems breathing then a chest xray may be the place to start BUT do you really need a chem17 for all values when what you really want is a basic organ function test. I think you waste more money by jumping into higher level testing than starting with the basics. Or at least that is my experience.

#21 ·
Personally I would want him seen today...somewhere by some vet. Call around and find a vet that can see him immediately. He is not a young dog and even the most simple of illness can quickly go bad with a senior dog.

Carmspack Gus

#23 ·
GatorBytes,

I am sorry to hear Gator isn't feeling well. I don't have any experience or suggestions but the information in this link may help. Hemangiosarcoma in dogs
I think suggesting HS may be a bit of a leap although I can understand your fears. The thought of losing our best friend is beyond expression.

Sorry I'm no help but know that you and Gator will be in our prayers.

Lynn & Traveler

#26 ·
GatorBytes,

I am sorry to hear Gator isn't feeling well. I don't have any experience or suggestions but the information in this link may help. Hemangiosarcoma in dogs
I think suggesting HS may be a bit of a leap although I can understand your fears. The thought of losing our best friend is beyond expression.

Sorry I'm no help but know that you and Gator will be in our prayers.

Lynn & Traveler
Thank you Lynn. Just seems to be at the age for. Whatever is wrong, I don't think it's going to be a simple fix.

GatorBytes my thoughts and prayers are with you and Gator. I have no advice sounds like you have some solid ideas of what to ask for and youve asked here where lots of people with experience are. Daisy's tumour was on the heart and by the time we found it was pressing on the lungs.This was at the very end Your ideas for xray sound right to me. Take care
Maggi
Thank you Maggi. I hope I am wrong.

Was also thinking this could be a reaction to pesticides people are putting on their lawns. No test for that that I could find

#25 ·
GatorBytes my thoughts and prayers are with you and Gator. I have no advice sounds like you have some solid ideas of what to ask for and youve asked here where lots of people with experience are. Daisy's tumour was on the heart and by the time we found it was pressing on the lungs.This was at the very end Your ideas for xray sound right to me. Take care
Maggi

#28 ·
In my dogs who had hemangio pale gums was the give away and breathing was more like fast panting not struggling to breath.

I hope you get a workable answer. It also sounds like CHF to me. Is there any swelling in the legs/paws? I agree..money or not...I would not waste any time getting to the vet...but I see you ARE going tomorrow am.

#30 ·
In my dogs who had hemangio pale gums was the give away and breathing was more like fast panting not struggling to breath.

I hope you get a workable answer. It also sounds like CHF to me. Is there any swelling in the legs/paws? I agree..money or not...I would not waste any time getting to the vet...but I see you ARE going tomorrow am.
Just checked gums again. Fine, colour comes back immediate. He is panting here and there, have the A/C on. May be due to walk time nearing. He gets panty when he has to go.

No swelling.

He isn't lethargic when you say treat.

#29 ·
So sorry that Gator isn't feeling well. As you have read, I'm sure, hemangio can affect multiple organs and symptoms seem to be a bit different depending on what's affected. When Basu became sick with hemangio he went from a turbo-charged dog to a dog who could not walk around the block and had no appetite. Then the next day he was absolutely fine and then same symptoms came back two days later. He did not have breathing problems but it was his spleen that was affected. The only diagnostics he needed was an x-ray.

I hope that Gator doesn't have hemangio. Sending all positive thoughts his way.

#32 ·
I just checking his nose, Right side has some mucous, his right eye last couple days as well.

#42 ·
At this time he does not seem in distress, He doesn't seem in distress in morning when sounds fluidy. Heat seems to be an issue on walks. Night walk he is always much better. Monday seemed sickly which is what prompted me to make the Vet app. Nothing has happened since that has made me feel urgency to rush him to e-vet. I am with him, not going anywhere out of his site

#40 ·
Look, speculating is going to get you nowhere except more anxious. And more anxiety is not going to help Gator. Take him into the vet right now so that you can get a diagnosis and figure out where to go from there. You will forever regret waiting if he takes a turn for the worse before tomorrow morning.

#43 ·
I am so sorry for you..and afraid...the big C scares all of us..and is the first conclusion we come to..either for our dog family or ourselves...keep your faith..stay strong..and don't let your mind take you where fear is the only option...pull on your faith..love your dog...(I know you do)...and try to find peace of mind til tomorrow...PLEASE KNOW YOU ARE IN THE THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS OF MANY... Blessings...jan

#58 ·
jan. always, thank you

I also agree with possible allergies, my vet said this is the WORST year ever, for pollen, breathing related allergies, everything coming out late, and in full force.

I just did a super chem on one of my dogs, cost was 150$, that includes a cbc+ .

Hope it's nothing serious.
I got quotes in that range, chem I, II, III, 6, chem incl. cbc, w/o cbc...Why I started the thread. Dizzying.

Thank you. What is a super chem lol....chem 17 jax08 said may not be necessary?

#45 ·
Have not read all responses, so sorry if I am repeating something.

CBC- red and white cell count, will tell you if there is an infection and anemia or dehydration, plus will let you know if and what white cells are elevated which can point to different issues. Do it.

Chemistry- never hurts, will tell you is there is a problem in most major organs, not really the the spleen though.

Radiographs- two view chest and abdomen. I would probably ask to start with lateral views if both areas and go from there. A big bleeding mass is going to be seen in that view. But they may need another.

Special tests. Not really. But if everything comes up equivocal, then a blood smear can rule out or in blood parasites. An ultrasounds may be useful as well. They may ask to do a tap, if the suspect fluid in the abdomen, to figure out what type if fluid it is. But that should not be done until radiographs are taken.

In my area, MD, this basic run of blood work and radiographs with exam is going to run you about 400 bucks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#48 ·
Have not read all responses, so sorry if I am repeating something.

CBC- red and white cell count, will tell you if there is an infection and anemia or dehydration, plus will let you know if and what white cells are elevated which can point to different issues. Do it.

Chemistry- never hurts, will tell you is there is a problem in most major organs, not really the the spleen though.

Radiographs- two view chest and abdomen. I would probably ask to start with lateral views if both areas and go from there. A big bleeding mass is going to be seen in that view. But they may need another.

Special tests. Not really. But if everything comes up equivocal, then a blood smear can rule out or in blood parasites. An ultrasounds may be useful as well. They may ask to do a tap, if the suspect fluid in the abdomen, to figure out what type if fluid it is. But that should not be done until radiographs are taken.

In my area, MD, this basic run of blood work and radiographs with exam is going to run you about 400 bucks.
Bolded - do you mean two each? or two "to view" chest and abdominal, lateral and other. What about heart?

In my area (going on quote from 3 yrs. ago - diff vet, but called around and variance of 10$ per), 150 for 1st, 75 per thereafter, so looking at 400 just for xrays. Exam is 85, blood work for both CBC and chem is another 200+

Thank you for reply:)

#56 ·
gator start small, you don't need a cxr until after vet listens to heart. if he thinks a heart issue, then discuss x-ray. keep in mind could be a cold or allergies.

There in lies the problem. Cold find nothing with diagnostics, doesn't mean he isn't sick...Too many times and too many times on this forum they call things allergies, take this pill and come back in two weeks.

I just have a sick sense that there is more going on

What's a cxr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.