German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   URGENT please, need specific's re: diagnostics (fear Hemangio), Vet tomorrow a.m. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/456642-urgent-please-need-specifics-re-diagnostics-fear-hemangio-vet-tomorrow-m.html)

GatorBytes 06-03-2014 10:30 AM

URGENT please, need specific's re: diagnostics (fear Hemangio), Vet tomorrow a.m.

So. I think Gator is very sick. We have an appointment Wed. June 4 in the a.m. As noted in title, I fear the worst. Not sure if it's b/c of everything I have read here regarding HS and I am seeing similarities (or maybe I'm wrong), maybe I am just being neurotic/paranoid and this is an infection.

Naturally when I booked the app. the Vet wasn't available to discuss what testing I could be looking at, as well $$$ for.

I did ask the receptionist to book a time slot that could include x-rays as I don't want to reschedule for. They don't anesthetize for (that's a plus)

I got a cup off her to bring in a urine sample.

First, I know I will need to do a CBC, and Chem:

What specifically should be the add-on to this, CBC + reticulocytes (?) - what abnormality could be found in a CBC?
What Chem screen? In anyones exp. what abnormality would be found in this panel that may point to cancer?

On to x-rays. Looking from bowel to heart (lungs I am concerned with, and/or heart as symptoms could be related). How many need to be taken?

I do NOT have an unlimited amount of money. I have to be extremely careful for what and on what I am paying for. Choices have to be made and I don't know this vet and I don't want to get caught up in emotion at the time as I have in past. I could be wiped out ($$$), find nothing and have nothing for further tests.

Thank you in advance

P.S. I'm scared

Saphire 06-03-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBytes (Post 5595434)
So. I think Gator is very sick. We have an appointment Wed. June 4 in the a.m. As noted in title, I fear the worst. Not sure if it's b/c of everything I have read here regarding HS and I am seeing similarities (or maybe I'm wrong), maybe I am just being neurotic/paranoid and this is an infection.

Naturally when I booked the app. the Vet wasn't available to discuss what testing I could be looking at, as well $$$ for.

I did ask the receptionist to book a time slot that could include x-rays as I don't want to reschedule for. They don't anesthetize for (that's a plus)

I got a cup off her to bring in a urine sample.

First, I know I will need to do a CBC, and Chem:

What specifically should be the add-on to this, CBC + reticulocytes (?) - what abnormality could be found in a CBC?
What Chem screen? In anyones exp. what abnormality would be found in this panel that may point to cancer?

On to x-rays. Looking from bowel to heart (lungs I am concerned with, and/or heart as symptoms could be related). How many need to be taken?

I do NOT have an unlimited amount of money. I have to be extremely careful for what and on what I am paying for. Choices have to be made and I don't know this vet and I don't want to get caught up in emotion at the time as I have in past. I could be wiped out ($$$), find nothing and have nothing for further tests.

Thank you in advance

P.S. I'm scared

What are his symptoms?

Carmspack Gus

GatorBytes 06-03-2014 10:52 AM

Oh, right.

He is having breathing problems in morning, sounds like fluids (seemed to go away after a.m. walk)
Monday, a couple hrs. later the breathing was heavy through nose/throat (if that makes sense), as in I could hear it w/o having to put my ear to him
nausea - no vomiting, but seems like slight regurgitation or reflux (with or w/o food), swallowing and licking lips.
No exercise tolerance, seems weak, in pain.
Sometimes lethargy when time to go out.

There's more, but can't think

Still excellent appetite, Still rambunctious greeting at door.
Still wants to kill kitties:rolleyes:

Um...
That face, when they put their ears back and look at you sad, when it is usually the happiest time (like going for walk) for him

duenorth 06-03-2014 10:56 AM

For Jaeger, we did bloodwork and a urinalysis, which both came back clear and showed no signs of cancer. We then moved on to the ultrasound and chest X-rays, and that gave us the diagnosis.
I will keep my fingers crossed that it's nothing too serious.

LaRen616 06-03-2014 10:57 AM

If he is so sick and is having trouble breathing and seems to be in pain, why are you waiting to take him in? I would have taken him in immediately.

Also, if you have limited funds, maybe you should look into getting a credit card. I got a credit card for emergencies incase something ever happened to one of my animals, it has a $10,000 limit.

GatorBytes 06-03-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 5595554)
If he is so sick and is having trouble breathing and seems to be in pain, why are you waiting to take him in? I would have taken him in immediately.

Also, if you have limited funds, maybe you should look into getting a credit card. I got a credit card for emergencies incase something ever happened to one of my animals, it has a $10,000 limit.

B/C he is breathing, just seems to be heavy, like if you have a cold.
He is aging, arthritis could be the pain I'm seeing along with joint damage from the pit bull attack a month ago. Comes and goes. It's also extremely hot and humid and in past 3 yrs has shown lethargy on walks in heat waves.

If I could, I would. Life.
Thanks.

GatorBytes 06-03-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duenorth (Post 5595546)
For Jaeger, we did bloodwork and a urinalysis, which both came back clear and showed no signs of cancer. We then moved on to the ultrasound and chest X-rays, and that gave us the diagnosis.
I will keep my fingers crossed that it's nothing too serious.

Thanks Cheryl

barnyard 06-03-2014 11:24 AM

Our first shepherd girl many moons ago had this cancer. She was my running partner and started limping. I brought her in thinking she hurt her leg running. The vets first thought a tick disease. She had pale gums. Xrays didn't show anything, blood work was ok. Ultrasound showed a small mass in spleen/liver.
We scheduled a surgery and when we brought her in she had lost weight in just a few days. When they operated they found it had spread all over and we put her to sleep then.

She didn't show lethargy nor did she have heavy breathing. Just the limp, and pale gums.

I hope your pup is fine.

my boy diesel 06-03-2014 11:36 AM

sounds like chf

GatorBytes 06-03-2014 11:37 AM

No pale gums here. Not yet.

Something else, not sure if significant. There are a few area's on his skin that have these little tiny rust coloured dots. At first thought some type of parasite, not itchy or bothered by. Not raised, or scabby, not flea dirt...dime size area, but in 3 area's that I found, shoulder area.