anabolic steroids and older GSD male.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default anabolic steroids and older GSD male..

So about a year ago I found my Buddy walking across a busy intersection almost getting hit by a bunch of cars. I jumped out stopped traffic and h jumped right in the car with me poor guy was tired and although he is a beautiful dog, he is older. Right away I could tell that his hearing wasn't the best and he was losing his eye sight. My vet guesses that he is 11-12 years old, but said that for his age, he was the best (healthwise) GSD that she has seen. He has no hip problems, but it is very apparent that he is losing the strength to get up and walk in his hind legs.

to this point I have done everything that the vet has recommended, but she is strictly against the use of anabolic steroids.

Last night he went to the bathroom in the house which he has never done before and I can see that his health is diminishing quickly. I have read multiple places that a cycle of anabolic steroids can work wonders on dogs with his issues and I am to the point where I feel like we may only have a few months left with him unless I do something, even if it means going against the recommendation of my vet.

Unfortunately, I do not have the money right now to go to get various opinions from different vets, so I am hoping that there is someone here that can give me some guidance.

In my research on this topic I came across this old post on this forum....

Anabolic Steroids/senior GSD

There is a ton of valuable info in this thread, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts or suggestions for me.

I understand that to many this may be a little controversial, but everything my vet has done to this point has not been successful and I refuse to sit and watch him wither away.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading this.

Bo
Buddybo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

since you do know his age it may be that time is short. kudos for letting him enjoy his time with you since the rescue. just what is it you think anabolic steroids will do for him?
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am hoping that it will help him to build a little muscle mass in his hind legs and help with his joints as well. I can tell everytime he gets up or down it hurts him...
Buddybo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Curcumin (constituent of turmeric - 95% standardized extract) along with boswellia for inflammation. Curcumin also has anti-cancer properties. Steroids don't.

NEM (natural eggshell membrane) supplement as glucosamine supp. contains type 1 collagen as well as hyaluronic acid (lubes the joints)

Type II collagen from chicken sternum
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

You need to figure out why the dog is weak in his hind end. If it's DM, then steroids I don't think will help.

The side effects are huge, most vets do not even carry anabolic steroids on site.

I would suggest looking into a rehabilitation facility, where they can do acupuncture(decreases inflammation, increases blood flow), underwater treadmill(builds muscle with out stress on joints), strength building excersises(sit to stands), or cold laser therapy or estim.

You did an amazing thing by rescuing this wonderful dog. I wish you all the best with him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.