German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   flea and heartworm advice (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/454914-flea-heartworm-advice.html)

rocksdad 05-28-2014 05:56 PM

flea and heartworm advice
 
What do you recommend for flea and heartworm prevention? Was doing fine on trifexis last year but negative reviews steered me away,dont know what to try now? We live in Buffalo NY,

alexg 05-28-2014 06:06 PM

We have never used any combos.
K9 Advantix for fleas and ticks, Heartguard for hw.

Stevenzachsmom 05-28-2014 06:07 PM

I am using Frontline plus and Heartgard. Heartgard is relatively new to me, but so far, so good.

Magwart 05-28-2014 07:01 PM

Advantage Multi is a topical that gets all the same critters as Trifexis, at a few dollars cheaper per month. Since it's a topical, it's less convenient (you get the greasy, stinky spot on the shoulders for a few days). It's quite effective, as long as you take care to apply it to the skin (not the hair).

In your area up North, do you need flea protection year round? If not, since HW is needed year round everywhere according to AHS, why not separate them? Use a good flea stuff in the warm months only (FYI, Vectra 3D is getting rave reviews from friends, and it gets ticks too, which Adv. Multi and Trifexis don't).

Then pick a heartworm preventative -- you could do the 6 month injection (Proheart 6) for convenience, or use Heartguard or a generic equivalent all year long (e.g., Iverhart Max has the same ingredient to prevent HW (ivermectin) as Heartguard, and it's $28/6 pills at KVsupply.com; Pet Trust is another generic for Heartguard that costs $30/6 pills at local Walmart pharmacies). Compare that to around $90/6 months for Advantage Multi from KV Supply, and you'll save a chunk of change by not wasting money to treat fleas that aren't around during the winter.

GatorBytes 05-28-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magwart (Post 5575954)
In your area up North, do you need flea protection year round? If not, since HW is needed year round everywhere according to AHS, why not separate them? Use a good flea stuff in the warm months only (FYI, Vectra 3D is getting rave reviews from friends, and it gets ticks too, which Adv. Multi and Trifexis don't).

The American Heartworm Society is saying that in -20 temps you can still get heartworm? In Buffalo NY, the land of the blizzards...LOL

Just take a look at the AHS homepage to see who sponsors this nonsense.

FYI...You need 57 degree temps or higher for 2 weeks CONSECUTIVELY, day and night - 24/7, any drop below interrupts the HW cycle in the mosquito. It takes approx. 4months for it to migrate from the dermis into the blood. So if you treat every three months, you can kill it, but not until AFTER you have hit the noted temps.

Prevent mosquito bites - eucalyptus essential oil. Run few drops between your hands and fluff into the fur.

Nigel 05-28-2014 10:25 PM

Hey Gator, Got this from a a WSU report

A climate that provides adequate temperature and humidity to support a viable mosquito population, and also sustain sufficient heat to allow maturation of ingested microfilariae to infective, third-stage larvae (L3) within this intermediate host is a pivotal prerequisite for heartworm transmission to occur. Laboratory studies indicate that development and maturation requires the equivalent of a steady 24-hour daily temperature in excess of 64F (18C) for approximately one month. Intermittent diurnal declines in temperature below the developmental threshold of 57F (14C) for only a few hours retard maturation, even when the average daily temperature supports continued development. At 80 F (27 C), 10 to 14 days are required for development of microfilariae to the infective stage. The length of the heartworm transmission season in the temperate latitudes is critically dependent on the accumulation of sufficient heat to incubate larvae to the infective stage in the mosquito.

GatorBytes 05-28-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5576586)
Hey Gator, Got this from a a WSU report

A climate that provides adequate temperature and humidity to support a viable mosquito population, and also sustain sufficient heat to allow maturation of ingested microfilariae to infective, third-stage larvae (L3) within this intermediate host is a pivotal prerequisite for heartworm transmission to occur. Laboratory studies indicate that development and maturation requires the equivalent of a steady 24-hour daily temperature in excess of 64F (18C) for approximately one month. Intermittent diurnal declines in temperature below the developmental threshold of 57F (14C) for only a few hours retard maturation, even when the average daily temperature supports continued development. At 80 F (27 C), 10 to 14 days are required for development of microfilariae to the infective stage. The length of the heartworm transmission season in the temperate latitudes is critically dependent on the accumulation of sufficient heat to incubate larvae to the infective stage in the mosquito.

Even better info. Thanks Nigel.

Take that AHS!

llombardo 05-29-2014 03:35 AM

Here is Dr Dodd's recommendation...

Year Round Heartworm Preventive

Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Mississippi
Louisiana

Borderline

Arizona
Arkansas
California
Kentucky
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas

May - October Heartworm Preventive
Canada
Alaska
Connecticut
Colorado
Delaware
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Dakota
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

W. Jean Dodds, DVM
Hemopet / NutriScan
11561 Salinaz Avenue
Garden Grove, CA 92843

llombardo 05-29-2014 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBytes (Post 5576322)
The American Heartworm Society is saying that in -20 temps you can still get heartworm? In Buffalo NY, the land of the blizzards...LOL

Just take a look at the AHS homepage to see who sponsors this nonsense.

FYI...You need 57 degree temps or higher for 2 weeks CONSECUTIVELY, day and night - 24/7, any drop below interrupts the HW cycle in the mosquito. It takes approx. 4months for it to migrate from the dermis into the blood. So if you treat every three months, you can kill it, but not until AFTER you have hit the noted temps.

Prevent mosquito bites - eucalyptus essential oil. Run few drops between your hands and fluff into the fur.

The only reason why they say give it year round is because owners forget to give it. The year round covers the owner mistakes. It says it on their page...The "American Heartworm Society is now recommending year-round prevention, even in seasonal areas. One reason for this is compliance to make sure the medicine has been given properly by the pet owner." It's just easier for people to remember once a month. When I asked my vet about every 45 days she said that is fine, but since the cycle runs right on that border I better remember to give it.

blackshep 05-29-2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5577402)
Here is Dr Dodd's recommendation...


May - October Heartworm Preventive
Canada

I love how Canada always gets lumped into one big category! :laugh:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2