ear infection - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default ear infection

Dose anyone know of a allergy to food that causes a ear infection Any ideas on a non allergic feed that can be tryed I rehomed a female I have her back now She has a infection in her ears Antibiotics did not resolve infection
Thanks in advance
Mike
canyadoit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Grain free food.
Put my guy on it for other allergy related stuff, but not ears. However, I had a kid who had several food sensitivities and many ear infections. When I changed his diet, the ears cleared up. I figured it would be the same for other mammals, and it worked. I feed taste of the wild grain free.
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 03:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks I just got the dog back from rehoming her I checked on her after two months she is a mess Ears packed under weight chewing on her feet She is not going back I am keeping her I doubt I will ever rehome a dog again
canyadoit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Shadow has food allergies and the very first sign is always her shaking her head, ears flare up within an hour or two.

In her case we have her on a grain free food, but the actual allergy is to beef.
I keep a tea tree oil wash on hand always, just in case she gets some by accident. I have the ear infection stuff the vet gave me but the wash soothes the itching immediately and I don't generally have to use the actual medicated stuff at all.
Sabis mom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

kyra had allergies that were not fixed by grain free food.
huntergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
kyra had allergies that were not fixed by grain free food.
What did work for Kyra?
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'd also try switching to a fish-based limited-ingredient diet (Fish & Sweet Potato--there are several brand that are available like Natural Balance, Taste of the Wild, Nature's Domain, and several more). The fish has agreed with dogs I've had that are sensitive. I avoid chicken with sensitive dogs, as it seems a culprit for some of them.

Since the infection is recurring, you might look into a treatment for ears called Oti-Pak, available from your vet. It is SO much better than dribbling antibiotic ointment in the ear and rubbing it around. The vet packs the ear with "goop" (a medicated wax, I think). It dries and then stays in there at least a week and slowly desolves, treating the ear the whole while. You don't have to do anything with it, other than very gently cleaning any oozing that may come out as it breaks down. Our rescue's vet uses it on the dogs who have the grossest, nastiest ear infections, and it works. It's so much easier than struggling with the ointment with a dog whose ears hurt. We've never had to re-treat ears on a dog with Oti-Pak, and we've seen some BAD ears. (They don't seem to hear well while it's in there though -- I think it pretty well plugs up the ear until it dissolves.)

Here's a video that explains it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9sGSKcU9zI

Last edited by Magwart; 05-28-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.