German Shepherds Forum banner

Spooked GSD all of a sudden

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  barnyard 
#1 ·
Our 15 month old GSD has suddenly started acting strange. He does not want to go outside - he quickly does his business and runs back in. He has always loved the yard and fence plays with the other surrounding dogs. He keeps sniffing the air like there is something going on. We have asked our neighbors and they say they haven't used any chemicals. Any suggestions and/or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

#3 · (Edited)
My oldest female non GSD did this when a coyote was in the yard. She refused to go out there, I had to take her out in the front. It lasted for about a week and she was fine after that. I just tried every day to see what she would do, if we were in front and I tried going to the back she wouldn't budge. I knew she was ready when she stopped pulling away. She also did this when a hot air balloon low enough to touch the roof came by and while the idiots were talking to her the gas released. She broke off her tie out on that one and then ran inside to the window to make sure it was gone. No backyard for her for about three days that time.

#8 · (Edited)
Ears go back if he is scared of something, Ears go forward he sniffs and looks if he is looking for or senses something.

I saw it one night on a walk with Rocky. He stopped, ears pointed forward, sniffed the air and turned around??? I looked and could not see or hear anything in the darkness but I turned and followed him!

Don't know what it was about but I had never seen him do that before. No idea if it's the case with your guy but he very well may sense something??

#10 ·
Good morning - Thanks again for your concern. we have several people living in our household. We also have two other non GSD dogs - someone is always out in the yard with them. they come back in the house with us. This morning, Ranger appears better but as the day progresses, we will see. My son is home with the dogs ALL day.

#16 ·
I still think it was some kind of wildlife that could have been dangerous, is there coyotes or anything else where you are that would pose a threat?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.