EPI...Now What?..:( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default EPI...Now What?..:(

I have been posting on here for at least a year and a half..to make a long story short...dealing with issues of soft poop, too much poop, weight loss, switching diets etc, itching scratching and you have all been extremely helpful...Abbey has lost 10 lbs since January...i think the worst was only in about the last 2 months...i chalked it up to being outside more and her having endless energy. i swear her eyes starting sinking in her head?...A trip to the Vet on Tuesday said it wasnt allergies...she probably isnt allergic to anything which is almost funny to me because i have been beating my head on the proverbial rock trying to figure out what has been ailing her. Adding enzymes and digestive help ...you name it, i tried it.....For those of you who dont know what EPI is, its Endocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency...her body was starving itself because she lacked the enzymes that her pancreas makes to digest and absorb her food...so i would buy it, she would eat it, and poop it out and wasnt full, and didnt get any of the nutrients from her food...She is currently on Natures Recipe Grain Free Salmon flavor....i have come to learn that EPI dogs do better on grain free diets, so the last switch was one thing i did right....The Vet ordered the powder from 1800 petmeds as i was still in the office....it got here....i have been giving it to her since Thursday. This is a difficult situation, where i have seen some improvement, there are no guarantees that she will do well on the powder, some dogs reject it?......so far though, her energy is up...have to feed 3X a day...add water, add powder and then she sits there and has to wait 20 minutes...very different from just scooping 2 scoops in AM and PM..and forgetting about it, now its all in the timing....OH and no treats....she is loving that....
Sorry for ranting, but is this a genetic disorder?...and what part of responsibility lies with the breeder? I contacted her and she insists she has no dogs ever present with this problem.
I am so pissed and sad at the same time....i have been beating myself up for not noticing sooner. Also, this powder is SUPER expensive...so doing this for the next 10 years or so at 127.00 for 8oz...is presenting a challenge in itself.
Im hoping to after she gains some weight back, go back to a different food that isnt as expensive to make up for some of the cost of this powder...and im sorry if that sounds bad, but it is my reality.

So, anyone out there dealing with this?...How are you dealing with it, and any treat ideas?...Im all ears.....Oh that is the best part, if you look at my old posts...Abbey s a soft eared GSD...and the Vet said the reason her ears probably didnt go up was due to the EPI....
So, of course i love her, and im obviously doing everything humanly possible for her to get her better....but i am so angry that i spent so much money on her, researched a breeder for 6 months, visited a couple of times where they were being raised....i did everything i was supposed to to avoid problems like this. My mother had GSD's and she has never heard of so many issues with dogs has she has recently....dogs got ALPO, no shots...cost 50.00 and lived wonderful full healthy lives.....until 12 or so?
You have to wonder, what has happened in the past few decades?
Abbey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm sorry your girl has this.
If it were my dog, I would add raw panceas to his diet.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Cheetah's Canine EPI Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency FAQs

https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index...art&Itemid=130

Last edited by Sunflowers; 05-25-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes...I can sense your frustration....I had an EPI dog as well.

A few thoughts.....

Forget about the breeder and culpability on their behalf....you have to deal with the situation at hand...who cares who's fault it is at this point...the dog ended up on your doorstep...end of story.

Next...keep slowly trying to shift the pancreatic enzymes to the best levels....a hard stool ( if there is such a thing with an EPI dog) would be the goal.

Try Enzyme Diane - to see if this might alleviate your outlay a bit....if you haven't already.

Ears not up ....sounds like stretch ..blaming it on EPI...could be...but that sounds odd...I had no problems with my EPI dog's ears.

Yes, I agree....the GSD has been severely bastardized over the decades due to it's popularity....to the greater degree.....way too many health issues from bad breeding practices.

Check the B12 and SIBO situation with your dog as well...some good could be done correcting these concerns as well.

EPI is a manageable situation but a bit more effort is required.....

As I said...I appreciate your frustration of getting a "faulty" dog.....but at the end of the day...Abbey is your dog and that's all that matters....change what you can...rather than dwell on what cannot be changed....with all due respect.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you..i have heard of that..i don't know where to get it. I'm so overwhelmed with grief and disappointment and disbelief..i am taking baby steps. After she gains some weight back and stabilizes...im going to look into my options...ty for writing.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey'sMom View Post
.i don't know where to get it.

Here's where to get it and check pricing... Click on this....Enzyme Diane -

SuperG
Old 05-25-2014, 09:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you super g....i agree with all...have heard of enzyme Diane..going to do some more research on that website...i just have to make sure what I get is comparable to what I'm giving now. Also...if u don't mind..how long did your dog live until?...or do u still have that pet?
Old 05-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Thank you..i have heard of that..i don't know where to get it. I'm so overwhelmed with grief and disappointment and disbelief..i am taking baby steps. After she gains some weight back and stabilizes...im going to look into my options...ty for writing.
I linked it for you. My Pet Carnivore carries it.
Don't be overwhelmed, this can be managed.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Thank you super g....i agree with all...have heard of enzyme Diane..going to do some more research on that website...i just have to make sure what I get is comparable to what I'm giving now. Also...if u don't mind..how long did your dog live until?...or do u still have that pet?

Okay....you asked...I had the double whammy....and perhaps this will bring some perspective to your current hardship....but I am of the belief...it is all relative...as others have had it worse than my tales of woe....

My EPI dog....my beloved..most awesome gal Hana..was liberated at 8 years old....not due to her EPI but because of her DM ( Degenerative Myelopathy)....couldn't bear to see such a regal creature have to struggle so hard....so I said the last goodbye while she still had some well deserving dignity intact.

Final analysis...if Hana had to end up on any doorstep...I am so glad she ended up on mine....her 8 years were the best years I could have given her and asked for in return....

SuperG
Old 05-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you sunflowers for the information. Now..can she still have SIBO?...what is it?...and B12 issues despite being on powder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.