German Shepherds Forum banner

EPI...Now What?..:(

3K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  blackshep 
#1 ·
I have been posting on here for at least a year and a half..to make a long story short...dealing with issues of soft poop, too much poop, weight loss, switching diets etc, itching scratching and you have all been extremely helpful...Abbey has lost 10 lbs since January...i think the worst was only in about the last 2 months...i chalked it up to being outside more and her having endless energy. i swear her eyes starting sinking in her head?...A trip to the Vet on Tuesday said it wasnt allergies...she probably isnt allergic to anything which is almost funny to me because i have been beating my head on the proverbial rock trying to figure out what has been ailing her. Adding enzymes and digestive help ...you name it, i tried it.....For those of you who dont know what EPI is, its Endocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency...her body was starving itself because she lacked the enzymes that her pancreas makes to digest and absorb her food...so i would buy it, she would eat it, and poop it out and wasnt full, and didnt get any of the nutrients from her food...She is currently on Natures Recipe Grain Free Salmon flavor....i have come to learn that EPI dogs do better on grain free diets, so the last switch was one thing i did right....The Vet ordered the powder from 1800 petmeds as i was still in the office....it got here....i have been giving it to her since Thursday. This is a difficult situation, where i have seen some improvement, there are no guarantees that she will do well on the powder, some dogs reject it?......so far though, her energy is up...have to feed 3X a day...add water, add powder and then she sits there and has to wait 20 minutes...very different from just scooping 2 scoops in AM and PM..and forgetting about it, now its all in the timing....OH and no treats....she is loving that....:(
Sorry for ranting, but is this a genetic disorder?...and what part of responsibility lies with the breeder? I contacted her and she insists she has no dogs ever present with this problem.
I am so pissed and sad at the same time....i have been beating myself up for not noticing sooner. Also, this powder is SUPER expensive...so doing this for the next 10 years or so at 127.00 for 8oz...is presenting a challenge in itself.
Im hoping to after she gains some weight back, go back to a different food that isnt as expensive to make up for some of the cost of this powder...and im sorry if that sounds bad, but it is my reality.

So, anyone out there dealing with this?...How are you dealing with it, and any treat ideas?...Im all ears.....Oh that is the best part, if you look at my old posts...Abbey s a soft eared GSD...and the Vet said the reason her ears probably didnt go up was due to the EPI....
So, of course i love her, and im obviously doing everything humanly possible for her to get her better....but i am so angry that i spent so much money on her, researched a breeder for 6 months, visited a couple of times where they were being raised....i did everything i was supposed to to avoid problems like this. My mother had GSD's and she has never heard of so many issues with dogs has she has recently....dogs got ALPO, no shots...cost 50.00 and lived wonderful full healthy lives.....until 12 or so?
You have to wonder, what has happened in the past few decades?
:help:

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes...I can sense your frustration....I had an EPI dog as well.

A few thoughts.....

Forget about the breeder and culpability on their behalf....you have to deal with the situation at hand...who cares who's fault it is at this point...the dog ended up on your doorstep...end of story.

Next...keep slowly trying to shift the pancreatic enzymes to the best levels....a hard stool ( if there is such a thing with an EPI dog) would be the goal.

Try Enzyme Diane - to see if this might alleviate your outlay a bit....if you haven't already.

Ears not up ....sounds like stretch ..blaming it on EPI...could be...but that sounds odd...I had no problems with my EPI dog's ears.

Yes, I agree....the GSD has been severely bastardized over the decades due to it's popularity....to the greater degree.....way too many health issues from bad breeding practices.

Check the B12 and SIBO situation with your dog as well...some good could be done correcting these concerns as well.

EPI is a manageable situation but a bit more effort is required.....

As I said...I appreciate your frustration of getting a "faulty" dog.....but at the end of the day...Abbey is your dog and that's all that matters....change what you can...rather than dwell on what cannot be changed....with all due respect.

SuperG

#5 ·
Thank you..i have heard of that..i don't know where to get it. I'm so overwhelmed with grief and disappointment and disbelief..i am taking baby steps. After she gains some weight back and stabilizes...im going to look into my options...ty for writing.

#7 ·
Thank you super g....i agree with all...have heard of enzyme Diane..going to do some more research on that website...i just have to make sure what I get is comparable to what I'm giving now. Also...if u don't mind..how long did your dog live until?...or do u still have that pet?

#9 ·
Okay....you asked...I had the double whammy....and perhaps this will bring some perspective to your current hardship....but I am of the belief...it is all relative...as others have had it worse than my tales of woe....

My EPI dog....my beloved..most awesome gal Hana..was liberated at 8 years old....not due to her EPI but because of her DM ( Degenerative Myelopathy)....couldn't bear to see such a regal creature have to struggle so hard....so I said the last goodbye while she still had some well deserving dignity intact.

Final analysis...if Hana had to end up on any doorstep...I am so glad she ended up on mine....her 8 years were the best years I could have given her and asked for in return....

SuperG

#12 ·
Super G...understand completely...i lost my last girl Nov 2011...she was 11.5...i lost her due to infections that kept coming because of her incontinence that she was diagnosed with at 5. She was a pet store dog...what did I know 14 years ago. She ate Iams from the day I brought her home. One day we made the decision that I cleaned her private area for the last time..did her laundry for the last time...she was panting alot due to her discomfort and just looked at me with that beautiful face and said mom I have had enough....so I'm sure you can understand why it feels like my heart is breaking all over again...and Abbey is just over 2. Thanks for all the good advice!

#14 ·
She is telling me that she fed Floyd raw pancreas and yes it helped a lot but he still needed powder enzymes as well. B12 is a problem, she says, and SIBO can be a problem, no two dogs are the same.

She says to let you know that she will post when she gets home.

Again, I'm really sorry. I remember your dog, she was 10:45!

#16 ·
I said "goodbye" to my first shepherd at 6 years old ...cancer so they said...so I know the feeling....so 8 was better than 6.

Needless to say....I went elsewhere for my third and current GSD.....feel like a fool going back to the same place twice with my first two....but live and learn....funny thing...if I could do it all over again...knowing what I know today...I'd share my life again with both those dogs for 6 and 8 years....heck..they were going to end up somewhere.....better with me than so many other homes...I was the winner..no matter how I slice it.

SuperG

#21 ·

:wild: Still makes me laugh!

For what it's worth, I don't think the ears had anything to do with the EPI, either.

Many of us do what we think are all the right things and still end up with dogs with problems. I know how frustrating it can be. I do my best to put all the frustration energy into beating whatever problem flares up. Takes a while and it is emotionally draining, I know.

#18 ·
My first GSD Brandy..yes came from a pet store..of course I know better now..but I thought breeders were for fancy people with lots of money that wanted show dogs. I wanted a pet. I might not have been certain what conditions her parents lived in...but we knew when we saw her that she was the one...she was the true meaning of a gentle giant at a cool 100 lbs...she loved everything and everyone...and I wouldn't change a thing I did that day...she was brought to me for a reason regardless of where I actually bought her from...i still miss her.

#19 ·
I can understand you frustration since my story is very similar to yours. I am sorry that Abbey has EPI but at least you know and can start her treatment. I am seeing so many dogs diagnosed with this lately it's insane :mad:

I would join "epi4dogs" and read through all the great information. The members are great and will help you with any questions: Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Nikki is on Tylan for life for SIBO and gets weekly B12 injections. She gets special treats because she also has food allergies and atopy. I would not give Abbey any treats right now until her EPI is stable. Do you know what her B12 level is?

#20 ·
Heidi..i do not know what her B12 level is..i assume this is the next step. It just seems between kids and dogs...the allergies and issues are like none I have ever seen. When your buying dog food...ever wonder why there are over 100 kinds and brands and recipes?? I know I have. Thankyou for your advice!

#22 ·
Forgot to add that it helps to keep a daily log at first. I just wrote everything down in a notebook or you can print this out: Printable EPI Log -

It really helps when you can go back to see what you changed (enzyme dosage, food, meds, etc) and how the dog responded.

#24 ·
I have a Shiloh shepherd with EPI and we've been using enzymes from Enzyme Diane for years very successfully. I started with the 6x powder and changed a couple of years ago to the 8x powder, which is stronger and less is required in the food. Keeva is 12 and the EPI hasn't affected her quality of life too drastically.
I did give her raw pig pancreas at one point instead of enzymes and that worked well but we did go back to the enzymes for convenience. I avoid fatty or rich foods like turkey or bone marrow, but she can tolerate a few extra treats. I would say that stress is the most detrimental thing for an EPI dog. A stressful episode like a vet visit can cause loose stool but that usually clears up within a day or so.
She does have additional autoimmune conditions, including pannus and degenerative myelopathy, and a couple of small skin tumors. Out of everything, the EPI is actually one of the least debilitating issues.
It can definitely be managed.

#26 ·
There's lots of support groups online for owners of EPI dogs! Just do a google search! :)

I don't have experience with it myself, so my knowledge is limited, but my understanding is that once you get the digestive enzymes and diet sorted out, they can go on to live long and full lives.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, but I do think it's something you can manage, so don't give up hope!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.