Puppy tore up paws. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy tore up paws.

I'm an idiot...

I took my little guy to the pool yesterday to keep introducing him to water. He did well but there was another dog/playmate there and they were racing around the pool having fun. After several minutes of swimming and chase I called him back and his last two steps before his sit stay had a slight limp. He hadn't limped at all before so I figured he stepped on something.

After drying off I noticed a little blood and immediately started kicking myself.

As it turns out, he tore all of his paws up pretty good. I don't think they are bad enough to require liquid stitches or anything... just a little cleaning 2-3x a day and booties on when we go out to potty.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I'll post pics in a bit so you can see the damage.
Drew Orleans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Epson salt is good for paw pad injuries like that. The pool deck was probably nonslip coated which is rough on paws. My old guy cut his foot on some glass and I was worried it wouldn't heal but my vet had me use Epsom Salt. I dissolved the salt in warm water then sat on the floor with my dog and used a sponge to hold the Epsom Salt water on his foot. At the sponge cooled off I would resoak it and wring it out and continue. The water stays warm for awhile but he would have no part of sitting with his foot in the water so the sponge idea was born and it worked quite well. His foot healed quickly and didn't get any infection. Good luck with you puppy paws.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Drew Orleans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Poor pup! My puppy loves running around our pool too while we are playing in it. Thankfully that hasn't happened to him but I will be careful with that from now on. The worst thing that happened was when he got so excited he fell right in. We found out he can swim though! It didn't phase him a bit, we got him out and he went right back to playing! Silly dog. He hasn't learned to love swimming yet but he will get on the top step to cool down when it is hot. The Epsom salts sound like a great idea. And I hope he heals quickly so he can get back to playing!
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.