German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Vets Best shampoo for itching. Need help with which one? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/453177-vets-best-shampoo-itching-need-help-one.html)

Msmaria 05-22-2014 01:45 PM

Vets Best shampoo for itching. Need help with which one?

We just found out Dex is not only allergic to fleas but also pollen. Hes currently on Comfortis, monthly. Hes been scratching all night and day. Vet said to order Vets Best Shampoo and bathe him every two weeks.

There are so many different shampoos from Best Vet and I'm not sure which one to order? Has anyone used these products and does every two weeks sound reasonable? I don't want to dry out his skin and cause more itching.

llombardo 05-22-2014 01:48 PM

My cousin is a groomer and gave me some oatmeal and tea leaf stuff that works well.

Msmaria 05-22-2014 01:52 PM

Thank you, I see 2 shampoos that have those ingredients. Is bathing every 2 weeks ok?

Nico Pico 05-22-2014 02:02 PM

Our vet prescribed Douxo Chlorhexadine PS Shampoo for my dog's itching. It has a light pleasant scent, & it seemed to help my dog. We've been buying it on Amazon, because it's cheaper than the vet. We tried an oatmeal based shampoo & condition first, from the groomer. But, it didn't help my dog.

Msmaria 05-22-2014 02:14 PM

Thank you, I'm going to take a look at that shampoo too. Somehow I have to stop his constant scratching. I feel sorry for him. :(

llombardo 05-22-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msmaria (Post 5552961)
Thank you, I'm going to take a look at that shampoo too. Somehow I have to stop his constant scratching. I feel sorry for him. :(

The vet advised me to bath every two weeks with the oatmeal/ tealeaf

Traveler's Mom 05-22-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico Pico (Post 5552913)
Our vet prescribed Douxo Chlorhexadine PS Shampoo for my dog's itching. It has a light pleasant scent, & it seemed to help my dog. We've been buying it on Amazon, because it's cheaper than the vet. We tried an oatmeal based shampoo & condition first, from the groomer. But, it didn't help my dog.

My doggie dermo also recommended Douxo Chlorhexadine PS. Not the Douxo Maintenance one. I also use the wipes by the same company.

I would also ask your vet about Apoquel.

Lynn & Traveler

Freestep 05-22-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msmaria (Post 5552817)
Vet said to order Vets Best Shampoo and bathe him every two weeks.

There are so many different shampoos from Best Vet and I'm not sure which one to order?

Why don't you ask your vet which one would be best?

Gretchen 05-22-2014 05:12 PM

I wonder if a different flea med would help? Molly would itch a lot when she was on trifexis (comfortis with heartworm meds). One of our cats also has flea allergies, so far the medication that has seemed to give the best relief was Revolution.

When Molly did have itchy skin, the shampoos with chlorhexidine in them like what Nico Pico mentioned seemed to be most effective.

pyratemom 05-22-2014 06:37 PM

I agree with using a shampoo with chlorhexidine. I use Allermyl by Virbac and it makes Raina's coat really shiny. She has food and airborne allergies and I have to bathe her every other weekend or she starts getting itchy. Before I discovered Allermyl I tried several others with different ingredients but the Allermyl worked best. There is also an antibacterial lotion called Resi Keto Chlor by Virbac for putting on the itchy spots while the dog is still wet. I also put it on with a wet sponge between baths if necessary. It really took care of the red spots. She is also allergic to bug bites.