Itchy, scratchy going crazy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Itchy, scratchy going crazy

My Thor is 5 months old, he was on TLC from the breeder, she said very good Dry food. https://www.tlcpetfood.com
He has always had a bit of itchy skin, as in if you scratch him he would scratch a lot to, so I thought is just growth.
6 weeks ago he got really bad and his skin got so inflamed and red, he would just lick and scratch all day, mostly belly.
I put him on Organic Human Grade Chicken grinned with bone and organ, he was on this for 3 weeks, his poops got better much less and not peeing every 20 min, but he was getting worse, I have put him on Organic Human Grade Beef grinned with bone, organ and Tripe.
after 1 1/2 weeks of this he seems a bit better in the skin but now I smell his ears are yeasty. His poops are very black, looks like Tar, should I wait for more time, I have heard that it takes time for the allergy to come out of them.
Any suggestions would help, hes not a happy puppy this way
Attached Thumbnails
Itchy, scratchy going crazy-20140516_112755.jpg  
Thor'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

He could be allergic to chicken and/or beef. These are frequent allergic reaction food triggers for dogs. Have you tried a fish-based food or a novel proten such as rabbit or bison? Food allergies can be maddening and it may take several tries before you find the right ingredients.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Have you taken him to the vet? maybe run a food allergy panel?

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

if its not a food or seasonal allergy, could be a staph infection...either way take him to the vet and see what they say
Old 05-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

At his age, sounds like his immune system has taken a hit from vaccinations.

Any other scripted stuff from vet at same time?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

I will take him to the Vet, I did a stool test last week and it came back clear, could be the needles, I hate doing them but I was scared to not do the first boosters for him.
I heard doing Allergy tests is sometimes inconclusive, but he is so Itchy I feel so bad for him I don't want him to live like this forever, Poor baby.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

GatorBytes, He has had his needles and he was on Panacur first then Metronidazole for Giardia which he had very bad. Could this have contributed to his body going all messed up.

WVGSD, The food he was on from birth from the Breeder was a mix of Chicken, Lamb, Salmon mixed, there was no Beef so I am Trying that
Old 05-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor'sMomma View Post
GatorBytes, He has had his needles and he was on Panacur first then Metronidazole for Giardia which he had very bad. Could this have contributed to his body going all messed up.

WVGSD, The food he was on from birth from the Breeder was a mix of Chicken, Lamb, Salmon mixed, there was no Beef so I am Trying that

60-80% of the immune system starts with digestion. Yes those meds (a lot for such young pup so soon concurrent w/vaccines) could and likely did cause an imbalance. Giardia alone cause tiny perforations in the GI tract. This can lead to Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS). Bad bacteria feeds off the die-off from parasites, YEAST proliferates when bad and good bacteria are out of balance, the liver (the major detoxifying organ) has to process the die-off as well as the toxins unnatural to the body from the meds. When liver is overloaded filtering then this spills over to other parts of the body. The skin is an organ....then you have immune suppression from the vaccines in a pup who's immune system has not fully developed.

Add Coconut oil (will kill off yeast), a probiotic to get the gut back in balance, if you can feed RAW (starch's are sugars and feed yeast, RAW is only way to avoid starch), a digestive enzyme to break down the proteins that may be leaking into the blood (re: LGS) causing an immune malfunction as body treats as a foreign invader and a product called SEAVIVE, it is a combo of Seacure (a predigested fish protein w/high amino acid profile) for gut repair and Bovine Colostrum to modulate the fragile immune system

If your pup is allergic to chicken, that is likely due to vaccines as some are grown on chicken embryo's
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

GatorBytes; I have him on Raw Organic beef with organs and trip grinded as I think he is allergic to the chicken.
I also have him on probiotic and cold pressed virgin salmon oil. I will add ( digestive enzyme and SEAVIVE, Bovine Colostrum ) can i get this in the health. The Cocounut Oil about how much should I put on his food, he is 50lbs now.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor'sMomma View Post
GatorBytes; I have him on Raw Organic beef with organs and trip grinded as I think he is allergic to the chicken.
I also have him on probiotic and cold pressed virgin salmon oil. I will add ( digestive enzyme and SEAVIVE, Bovine Colostrum ) can i get this in the health. The Cocounut Oil about how much should I put on his food, he is 50lbs now.
The Seavive you get from "Proper Nutrition", you may find elsewhere online though, but not in health food stores that I'm aware.

The CO is 1tsp/10lbs of body weight.. It should be Raw organic cold pressed hexane free (not sure if said that w/o looking back). You will want to start off at tsp for few days, then 2 for few days etc. and work up to a tblsp.+ as grows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.