Canine Cruciate Ligament Surgery - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Canine Cruciate Ligament Surgery

What's the best surgery procedure for my dog's cruciate ligament injury?

I thought that I would share this for those interested. It was about a three or so year study with dogs from the public who came in and fell into a certain list of criteria. The type of surgery that they got was randomized (some got TPLOs and some got TTAs) and every one had an arthroscopic examination of their stifle. The owners had forms to fill out at certain intervals and they also dropped them off at certain times for radiographs and continued forceplating. The forceplate allows us to see exactly how much force the dog is placing on each paw when it walks and we can compare when they first come in (as we do it then) to how they recovered in time.

The project was presented at this year's ACVS meeting and it was the talk of the meeting. This will all be published (if it isn't already heading for that) soon, however it has definitely changed a good deal on what procedures we tend to do where I work.

I thought people would like to read it.

Last edited by Colie CVT; 05-19-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

We are also working with an implant company to help create a hip resurfacing surgery as an alternative (for dogs who qualify) to the total hip replacement. The previous implant that they came up with wasn't really working. Half of the dogs we did it on were okay, the other two required a THR. Not sure when that is going to start up again, but they met with reps sometime recently lol.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That 50% chance that the dog will tear the "other" ACL worries me. I've heard it before and we've taken lots of precautions, so I hope we will avoid this. I hadn't heard about the info regarding the meniscus, it would be nice to see a follow up on this.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

That is the unfortunate part. Not every dog does, but we had a few in the study tear the other leg within a year of surgery. It isn't something that can be predicted, but doing certain exercises and stretches that a physiotherapist could show you should help keep him strong!

We found with the TTA that if they didn't have a meniscus tear when they had the surgery, within 6-12 months they tended to come in with limping on the same leg. The way that the tibia is moved on it, I believe it can still cause problems, that we were able to show with the study as everything seen on arthroscopy was documented at the time. The TPLO patients did not have this problem, rather it just takes them a little longer to be back to full strength, however they definitely are stronger.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

June will be 6 months since ranger had the TPLO, he's had months of Pt, really hoping it pays off.

Anything stand out with those dogs that ended up injuring the other side? Were they allowed to return to full activity to quickly?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

The correlation with the meniscus injury was with the TTA surgery and not the TPLO. And as far as the other side, that is hard to say. We have had patients hurt the opposite leg within months, to years. It seems more a year out if they injure the other leg, but the meniscus injury post surgery was only with dogs who received a TTA.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.