German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Sick puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/451666-sick-puppy.html)

P71 05-18-2014 11:45 PM

Sick puppy

12 Week old Dutch/German cross.

Background:

I have had Lycaon for 3 weeks. On the way home from picking him up he threw up twice. I put this down to stress. The next morning he did it in his kennel again.
I started feeding him Freshpet rolled food. After the second day he cut his intake to less than 3/4 lbs a day, so after about a 4-5 days I switched him over to a home cooked diet composed of chicken meat (gizzards, heart, boneless breast & thigh) with blended eggs and blended vegetables (spinach, peas, carrots, broccoli) and a dollop of probiotic yoghurt. He tolerated this very well and was up to close to two lbs a day. He passed his second (my first with him) vet check, and the Doc said his weight looked very good. I started to add in some liver (chicken and beef) and fish. This caused very loose stools but after a couple of days this improved. I had precooked enough food for a couple weeks and he was putting on weight (still had a distinct waist from above, was 24.5 lbs when I weighed him Friday) well and doing normal puppy stuff. Every once in a while (perhaps three times that I observed) he would do that puppy puking noise and would bring up a little clear liquid.
This weekend I made up a new batch of food for him. There were two differences this time. I added pork and as this time I had access to a pressure cooker so I used bone in chicken meat that I pressure cooked for 2 hours. I had read that this would cause the bones to be extremely soft, but I figured I would be able to pull them out. When I attempted to the bones were softer than canned salmon bones... trying to pull them out with a spoon made them fall apart like dried mud or chalk.
Yesterday he ate a little under three lbs, if you include the weight of the broth.

Symptoms.
This morning he had liquid stool. He behaved normally on his morning walk and ate about a lb for a late breakfast. On returning home I noticed that there was a jug of motor oil that had been knocked over and Lycaon walked through the puddle before I could get it cleaned up. I then took him and the kids out to a local park (not a dog park because not all his shots are complete, though as with most places this time of year there were one or two dogs present). He again was his normal self, running around jumped in the lake (fairly nasty water in there), and played with the kids. Got home and offered him food. He ate a couple mouthfuls and quit. I thought that was odd, but not too big a deal. I had to take my son to his mothers so I put Lycaon in his crate and left hime for about 45 mins. I got home and let him out, hung out with him for about another 30 then let him outside. Very liquid stool again and then he immediately threw up what looked to be about 3/4 lb of food... most of what he had eaten all day. Now he is not eating or drinking at all, and his energy is somewhat though not overly subdued... he still comes when called, my roommate has friends over and e went and greeted them and he is still following commands, just far more like an adult dog would than a puppy.

I plan on taking him to the vet tomorrow if there is no improvement but am I missing something really obvious?

BowWowMeow 05-19-2014 01:03 AM

I would guess it's the pork. It's too fatty. Hopefully it's just too much for his system and not pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is very painful.

Don't give him any more food tonight. Tomorrow, put him on a bland diet -- boiled chicken, overcooked rice, sweet potato and a little pumpkin. Feed him very small amounts a time. Add real probiotics (not just yogurt).

You can also give him some slippery elm to help heal his gut and alternate with activated charcoal which will absorb any gas and toxins.

If you don't have experience preparing a homemade diet I would buy some of Monica Segal's books. Don't try to do it yourself, based on the Internet.

my boy diesel 05-19-2014 01:08 AM

you are not giving him enough calcium
dogs need bones or calcium in some form to go with the meat
i would get him to the vet asap and have them diagnose his stomach troubles
but also if you are not able to formulate a good diet with meat and calcium in a proper ratio i would strongly suggest a good quality kibble while he is in this critical growth period

P71 05-19-2014 01:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestions...

BowWowMeow, I seriously doubt it is pancreatitis, he is not exhibiting any signs of pain, is tolerant of being touched on the stomach... basically other than the intestinal problems he is acting just like a puppy... just a little subdued. You might be right about the pork, though it made up only about 10% off the food. He is not eating at all... offered him some straight chicken broth and he was not having it, though he did start to drink, so that is good.

My Boy Diesel... Whilst I am sure you are right that adding more calcium would firm up stool, I am not sure it would account for the acute symptoms he is displaying. I was measured his food to include about 1/2 of an eggshell per day, and the couple of tablespoons of yoghurt should have brought him into the low end of the recommended daily allowance of calcium.

Honestly I am hoping he just scarfed something at the park that did not agree with him and will be back to normal shortly. Either way, if things do not improve I will take him in for a check.

my boy diesel 05-19-2014 02:48 AM

the calcium in undried eggshells and yogurt is not enough
it must be given in a ratio mg per lb
the stomach situation may or may not be related but thats for the vet to figure out

Springbrz 05-19-2014 10:43 AM

You said he stepped in motor oil. Are you sure he didn't ingest some of the motor oil? What did you clean his feet with? It's possible all the soap wasn't rinsed from in his feet and he licked them, ingesting soap?
Definitely a trip to the vet.

Anubis_Star 05-20-2014 07:37 AM

likely gastroenteritis, could be caused by something new in the diet, could be from dirty lake water.

I too am concerned about calcium content in his diet.

My diets always contained raw bone.

You want to be careful you dont feed too much egg. My adult dogs only get a couple eggs a week.

I feel vegetables are basically pointless in a dog's diet, I would rather just have raw meat, bone, and organ, but that's neither here nor there in this thread.

huntergreen 05-20-2014 10:53 AM

since we can only guess at what could be wrong, i would get him to the vet asap. here is what we know, he is sick, vomiting, loose stool and may have ingested motor oil or some other substance. did you take his temp, measure urine out put ect...

huntergreen 05-20-2014 10:54 AM

i would also bring a stool sample.