Infection - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Infection

So my 5 month old GSD has suffered from reoccurring UTI's for the past 3 months. Our vet finally managed to clear up her UTI after 3 weeks of antibiotics which I'm grateful for but a few days after finishing her medication I started to notice symptoms again. I took a urine sample to my vet and they said the UTI is gone but now she has a whole other bacteria in her urine and they're not sure what type of infection it is.

I've tried reaching out to my breeder but they won't get back to me. We've spent 500 in medical costs to resolve this issue. My vet now wants to do another sterile urine sample and an xray of her bladder. They're unsure if there is something physically wrong with her on the inside. And we're reaching our limit with paying for the medical costs( I know that sounds horrible) giving her back isn't an option she's become a member of our family. She stopped showing symptoms of a urinary issue.

Has anyone out there had any issues like this with their females?? I'm just trying to wrap my mind around this bc how does she go from one infection to a completely different one??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
andrea04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Female has always had incontinence has more threads

Prevously normal vulva now showing signs of skin folding...is this unusual? this thread, particularly this article which has the top ten causes: Common Cause of Chronic UTI Has a Surgical Solution
Top 10 Causes of Female Urinary Incontinence
  1. Spinal disease
  2. Pelvic bladder
  3. Ectopic ureter(s)
  4. Urinary tract infection
  5. Patent urachal remnant
  6. Detrusor muscle instability
  7. Infiltrative bladder neoplasia
  8. Redundant perivulvar skin fold
  9. Chronic inflammatory bladder diseases
  10. Urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence
If they are doing the sterile catch are they using an ultrasound so they can get an idea of the bladder anyway?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi Andrea,
Sorry your baby is having so much trouble!

Here are a few things you can try:

1.Put her on a combo of digestive enzyme/pro-biotic to aide her gut after all of the meds she has taken. Digest All Plus: The Wholistic Pet or Sunday Sundae: Sunday Sundae Nutritional Supplement

2.At a local health food store, pick up some Cranberry Juice CONCENTRATE (not juice: NO sugar or additives) and work up to 2 Tablespoons per meal.
"Dr. Anthony Sobota succeed in showing that cranberry extract works by preventing the rod-shaped bacteria from sticking to mucosa of the urinary tracts. In this way they were flushed out with the urine.
Cranberry contains - among other things - the sugar substance D-mannose which has the special ability of being able to prevent harmful bacteria from sticking to the walls of the mucosal wall without harming the friendly-minded bacteria. They also contain the substance arbutin which is effective against certain bacteria and fungi, among others the Candida fungus."
Cranberry prevents E. coli, the most common cause of UTIs and recurrent UTIs, from adhering to the cells lining the wall of the bladder.

3.USDA Virgin Coconut Oil (NO hexane NO Gmo's) is also anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory which could help.

4.Feeding a kibble with grain in it (undesirable carbs/sugar) could be contributing to this. Pet Supply Plus or a doggie boutique usually carry ACANA by Champion Foods that you could try. Remember to wean her slowly off of current food and on to new food. But the very best way to go would be an all raw diet. You can purchase these diets, such as Northwest Naturals or Bravo, frozen at doggie boutiques and Pet Supply Plus.

5.UTI Free by Pet Alive: This is combination of Homeopathic Remedies that help balance the body from uti problems: UTI-Free? - Natural Remedy for Urinary Tract Infections in Cats & Dogs

Hope some of this helps!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

I cannot say for certain. My Bella was treated once for UTI. I paid the $65.00 and collected the sample myself. She was being given Bentonite powder, "Animin" a rich mineral supplement and the urine had small amounts of crystal's. I told the doctor.. I felt it was related, I am not certain. If your giving your dog supplements, like Montmorillonite powder with 72 trace elements every day, I cut back to 2 times per week, told the vet. yesterday to check out my findings and give me the Keflex next time "if" it happens again, without test number 2, office visits and so on. I am not playing that game with him or anybody else, rock's cause crystals and bentonite is crushed lava volcano rocks.. He agreed to give the antibiotics for $11.00 for a week. Check it out. I am sorry you had to spend $500.00, that is not fair, for something silly, that can be fixed at the; "fish store" if you know the dosage..
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

She is on a grain free food. Taste of the wild. I'm wondering if we should move her from puppy to adult though. I just wish the were some answers. I feel defeated by my dogs illness

Old 05-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea04 View Post
So my 5 month old GSD has suffered from reoccurring UTI's for the past 3 months. Our vet finally managed to clear up her UTI after 3 weeks of antibiotics which I'm grateful for but a few days after finishing her medication I started to notice symptoms again. I took a urine sample to my vet and they said the UTI is gone but now she has a whole other bacteria in her urine and they're not sure what type of infection it is.

I've tried reaching out to my breeder but they won't get back to me. We've spent 500 in medical costs to resolve this issue. My vet now wants to do another sterile urine sample and an xray of her bladder. They're unsure if there is something physically wrong with her on the inside. And we're reaching our limit with paying for the medical costs( I know that sounds horrible) giving her back isn't an option she's become a member of our family. She stopped showing symptoms of a urinary issue.

Has anyone out there had any issues like this with their females?? I'm just trying to wrap my mind around this bc how does she go from one infection to a completely different one??

sometimes it takes a long course of antibiotics. 30 days or more. your vet did do a C&S to determine type of infection and best antibiotic correct?
huntergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your vet needs to do the sterile sample and culture for specific bacteria. I went thru this with Jax. She needed 30 days of abx.

As a booster for her, try D-Mannose. Most UTI's are from e-coli. D-Mannose is a simple, inexpensive, sugar that strips the bacteria of its outer shell to kill it. I don't think it should replace modern abx but it can be used to help.

And just a side thought...don't screw around with this. Untreated UTI has led to kidney failure in some dogs. There is no fixing that.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

The vet did a sterile sample last week and it came back EColi so they changed her medication. And have to do a urine recheck in 2 weeks when she has finished them.

I'm really hoping we don't have another one after this. My poor girl needs a break I feel terrible that she keeps getting UTI's and has to take all this medication.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just found out today that my 6 mo old has a UTI, she had Ecoli, crystals, and blood in her urine. She's on Keflex 500mg TID for two weeks, and Carprofen for pain/inflammation. I REALLY hope this isn't a reoccurring issue and that it will clear up easily! Good luck with your girl!
megansha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So sorry guys! Don't know if it's the same with dogs but I have a cat with UTI! Diet is the key to control my cat's problem 17 years or so?? He can only eat S/O Royal Canin or Purina UTI dry food! I supplement with wet daily!

Most likely a raw diet would offer a permanent solution? Or a uti specific feed and supplement it with wet food on a daily basis could offer a solution?
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.