German Shepherds Forum banner

Possible ear infection?

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
He's showing all signs, whining when ear touched, itching it, Etc. I'm going to bring him to the vet soon, he hasn't been putting his left ear up (the one that's bothering him as much) they're usually both up at the same time now it isn't. Any one else go through this? Let me know!

See less See more
#3 ·
Vet SOON? Get to the vet ASAP. As in, call this morning and see if you can make an appointment.

Sounds like an ear infection. Could be bacteria, could be yeast. They need to do a cytology, look under a microscope, then prescribe the best medication. You don't want to sit and wait on an ear infection, it could easily cause the ear drum to rupture and damage to the inner ear.

#7 ·
I had multiple vets try to treat a persistent infection on my female for a year without success. Zymox fixed it in 4 days, confirmed by cytology by the vet. There is a reason it has thousands of 5 star ratings. I've let others borrow my bottle and resolved 20+ others infections too

But go to the vet if you wish and go on a course of antibiotics

#8 ·
Interesting on the Zymox. My dog always has itchy ears. My question would be the active ingredient is Hydrocortisone 0.5%. That stuff is great for relief it doesn't cure. What else as far as active ingredients that I cant seem to find would cure the problem.

Hydrocortisone is not good for long term use. Is this stuff to be used often or only at signs of a problem?

#11 ·
When they are infected, for seven days. It is the enzymes that wipe out the micro organisms from what I understand. As I mentioned, a collection and analysis a week after zymox on my female showed no living bacteria or yeast

#12 ·
A vet should be seen first as it may not be an ear infection. There could be a foreign body in the ear (pulled 10 large grass awns out of a beagles ear the other day, that had been shaking it's head and painful. OUCH). If there is any kind of damage or rupture to the ear drum then zymox should NOT be used. So a vet should examine the ear first. If it is an ear infection and the op wants to try zymox then great. But the cause should be diagnosed because again, just giving any kind of medication or treatment to the ear could cause more harm than good

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#13 ·
Which is why it can be very dangerous to just recommend medication over the internet. No one knows if this IS an ear infection, everyone is just assuming

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.