On going diarrhea, and introduction - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default On going diarrhea, and introduction

I got a new GSD 3 weeks ago, Sammy. He is purebred with AKC papers. He's a big guy. Very skinny for now, and 110 lbs.

Extremely laid back and very very loyal, but high energy when it's appropriate.

Here he is with my other pup. The little guy is a shepherd husky mix (or so we think) named Chief.

Anyway, I've had him for 3 weeks now and I've only seen him have solid stools a couple times. I didn't think anything of it at first since he had to go thru the stress of changing owners and coming to a new house, and he had to make an abrupt change in diet as I don't know what he ate on the farm where I got him.

I called my vet to make an appointment (to get him checked and up to date on all shots) but that appointment isn't until Friday, but now it's been 3 weeks and I'm getting concerned about the diarrhea.
I'm concerned that he may have worms because he came from a farm on the plains East of Denver, CO where he ran free and was around the fecal matter of all the other farm animals. The previous owner seemed to care very much about him, but he was one of 14 dogs and loads of other farm animals, so probably got less attention than he's getting now.

Both dogs are on Blue Buffalo, and I'm gonna switch them to a different food because I'm just not convinced that it's not it's all cracked up to be. I would love to go raw, but I can't afford that..

Anyway, just wanted to come here and say hi, and introduce my boys. I live up in the mountains of Colorado (house is at 10,000') and the dogs have hundreds of acres to run around. Fox, deer, moose, etc. all are on my property and the boys love it up here.

Last edited by Rocket; 05-18-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

From the picture the dog does not like very skinny or even skinny at all. 110 pounds is way off the charts on the high side but the dog does not look fat either. They are lanky and skinny looking until around 2 1/1 years old. Blue Buffalo is getting famous for diarrhea issues. When you switch do it gradually to avoid more runs. Make sure the dog is getting fluids. Diarrhea dehydrates the dog which can be real dangerous. Good luck great looking dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I got a new GSD 3 weeks ago, Sammy. He is purebred with AKC papers. He's a big guy. Very skinny for now, and 110 lbs.

Extremely laid back and very very loyal, but high energy when it's appropriate.

Here he is with my other pup. The little guy is a shepherd husky mix (or so we think) named Chief.

Anyway, I've had him for 3 weeks now and I've only seen him have solid stools a couple times. I didn't think anything of it at first since he had to go thru the stress of changing owners and coming to a new house, and he had to make an abrupt change in diet as I don't know what he ate on the farm where I got him.

I called my vet to make an appointment (to get him checked and up to date on all shots) but that appointment isn't until Friday, but now it's been 3 weeks and I'm getting concerned about the diarrhea.
I'm concerned that he may have worms because he came from a farm on the plains East of Denver, CO where he ran free and was around the fecal matter of all the other farm animals. The previous owner seemed to care very much about him, but he was one of 14 dogs and loads of other farm animals, so probably got less attention than he's getting now.

Both dogs are on Blue Buffalo, and I'm gonna switch them to a different food because I'm just not convinced that it's not it's all cracked up to be. I would love to go raw, but I can't afford that..

Anyway, just wanted to come here and say hi, and introduce my boys. I live up in the mountains of Colorado (house is at 10,000') and the dogs have hundreds of acres to run around. Fox, deer, moose, etc. all are on my property and the boys love it up here.
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
From the picture the dog does not like very skinny or even skinny at all. 110 pounds is way off the charts on the high side but the dog does not look fat either. They are lanky and skinny looking until around 2 1/1 years old. Blue Buffalo is getting famous for diarrhea issues. When you switch do it gradually to avoid more runs. Make sure the dog is getting fluids. Diarrhea dehydrates the dog which can be real dangerous. Good luck great looking dog.
His ribs are very very pronounced when you pet him.. But he's the biggest GSD I've ever interacted with. The boys have plenty of water and they stay hydrated (especially at this altitude it's a challenge to stay hydrated). He's a heavy guy, but super agile and athletic. His legs are so thick with bone and muscle, and his head is enormous even compared to other GSD's. Based on how he runs, stands, and sits, and his demeanor he seems like he comes from a European working line.. But his papers are AKC.

He just turned 2 a couple months ago, so I guess he'll start filling in soon.

Thanks partner!

Last edited by Rocket; 05-18-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

He's gorgeous! My girl had loose stools on blue buffalo as well so hopefully a change in food will help! We feed TOTW now and she's doing much better.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

What a handsome boy

Blue Buffalo seems to have many complaints: Top 566 Complaints and Reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeD1217 View Post
He's gorgeous!
Thanks!
If y'all don't mind I'll show him off for a minute here.

In this pic Sammy (110lbs) is on the left, Chief (60lbs) in the middle and Phoo (75lbs) on the right.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidigsd View Post
What a handsome boy

Blue Buffalo seems to have many complaints: Top 566 Complaints and Reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods
Thanks! I love him!

I just read that. Thanks! Looks like I'm making the right choice to switch.

Last edited by Rocket; 05-18-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

hi lovely pack
Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
you might wanna read through this to see if it is something you will want to ask the vet about
have the fecal done with emphasis on coccidia and giardia
good luck
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He is beautiful.
I agree with the others, he does not look skinny at all. GSDs are supposed to be lean.
If you can try raw, I would go for it.
If not, then definitely stop the BB.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

I have big German shepherds. You dog is beautiful. Many of these larger dogs are not full grown until they are 3 or 4 years old. I do not like Blue Buffalo. Make sure you are not over feeding to compensate for your concern over his weight.
PM me if you want my thoughts about what to feed. It would help me if you can show me the pedigree of your dog.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.