Yoshi Has EPI and a question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yoshi Has EPI and a question

Well its been a while,but had a question and you folks would be the ones to know. But first an update. We have added another dog, she was also an adoption, supposed to be another shep/husky mix, she was 5 months old. Now 3 months later she isn't growing ( maybe a little) and the shep is not there, she has the look of a husky mixed with a collie, in my opinion, but all is well with both dogs. In the last few months Yoshi began a rapid weight loss that concerned us, all of the info here led me to have the vet test her and She has EPI, confirmed by blood tests. She has been on Butler Schein's PancreaPowder Plus and has rebounded quite well and back to her normal weight. My question is what do your dogs take, and where do you get it? It is a bit expensive, so just wondering if anybody gets it cheaper or has ideas where to look? $115 for 12 oz, lasts about a month. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Pic of Yoshi and our Alley.
Attached Thumbnails
Yoshi Has EPI and a question-3-2.jpg  

Last edited by lsuduke; 05-18-2014 at 10:20 AM. Reason: explain pic
lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

So sorry that Yoshi has EPI I am just seeing so many dogs being diagnosed with this lately.

I belong to the best EPI group and I suggest you join also, I don't know what I would have done without their help when Nikki was first diagnosed.
Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Nikki gets Viokase but it's also very expensive. Many owners with EPI dogs use Diane's enzymes they are much cheaper than the enzymes you get from your vet: Enzyme Diane -

When managing EPI it is important to address the following besides enzyme replacement therapy:

1. Food
2. B12
3. SIBO

You can read about it here: http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009

Last edited by Heidigsd; 05-18-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Max has EPI for 6 years now, caught early very, its manageable, I switched to enzyme Dians stuff, much cheaper, Max`s gets 1tsp per 2 1/2 cups of food per feeding, thats all hes needed, his weight has stayed around 100lbs, give or take a pound, hes also weighed every other week, and I`ll adjust it according to how his stools look

Tester/Observer T.D.INC

Last edited by ken k; 05-18-2014 at 04:29 PM.
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I used the pancreatin by Diane as well.....it seemed to be the best deal I could find.

Enzyme Diane -

Heidi gives sage advice regarding the SIBO and B12 problems as well.

My last GSD had EPI and it was disheartening to discover her ailment BUT.....EPI is very manageable and there is no reason the pooch can't live a good life. There is a bit of experimenting at first to find the proper levels of pancreatin to add in to their meals but once you dial it in...it's fairly easy going forward.

I believe I bought the 1 kilo size enzymes from Diane and it lasted months, so overall the additional expense seemed minor...compared to the product I first bought from the vet.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.