German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Snores or wheezes (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/450401-snores-wheezes.html)

lalachka 05-15-2014 10:18 AM

Snores or wheezes

Hi, my doggie snores or wheezes. I can't exactly describe this noise. He's been doing it for a year or so, like right after eating or sometimes laying down and awake and doing it

Since he's always done it I figured it's something they do but then he did it in front of my friend that also has a shepherd and she freaked out. So now I'm freaking out.

Anyone has a shepherd that regularly makes these sounds but is otherwise normal? What can it be? Should I go to the vet?

Anubis_Star 05-15-2014 11:49 AM

Some dogs simply snore. Could also be something like a reverse sneeze.

I wouldnt run off to the vet if the dog is otherwise fine. But I would get a video of it, and next time you're at the vet show them the video and ask them about it.

Snoring can be a concern, elongated soft pallet that could cause breathing issues, especially in dogs that are sick and potentially already having problems.

lalachka 05-15-2014 12:58 PM

I was able to record it

2014-05-15 Boomer wheezing - YouTube

GatorBytes 05-15-2014 01:08 PM

I believe wheezing/coughing could be related to heart problems.

Best get to vet

lalachka 05-15-2014 01:29 PM

Yeah I'm going to take him in

Eiros 05-15-2014 03:23 PM

Good call on taking him in...

Warden does the reverse sneeze sometimes, the first time he did it was in the middle of the night and almost gave us a heart attack. Vet says his heart and lungs sound good, so I dont think it means anything, but it doesnt sound like your recording of Boomer!

Hopefully he's ok!!

lalachka 05-15-2014 04:12 PM

I hope so too. I will find a good vet and go on the weekend. I'm on vet #4 and still not too excited.

Lilie 05-15-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis_Star (Post 5521754)
Snoring can be a concern, elongated soft pallet that could cause breathing issues, especially in dogs that are sick and potentially already having problems.

Could heart worms cause a dog to snore and wheeze?

lalachka 05-15-2014 06:56 PM

I tested him a few months ago and then had him on preventative for a few months until 2 months ago I decided to stop giving it. So I doubt it

I made an appt with a new vet for Saturday. Let's see how that goes. I'm afraid they will just say I need X-rays and I don't think I'm ready to put him under. I've been wanting to get his hips done and haven't because I don't have a vet I completely trust and anesthesia is a serious thing

Also, he won't stay there without me. To leave him there without me would be making him to go through huge stress, he will scream, lunge and cry.

Not looking forward to the appt. every appt I ever had I got the impression that the vets are guessing just as I am

Anubis_Star 05-15-2014 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 5523274)
Could heart worms cause a dog to snore and wheeze?

I guess potentially wheeze. But more likely you'll simply notice elevated respiration rates and efforts as heartworm cause fluid to back up on the lungs. If a dog had severe enough heartworm that he's wheezing you are going to be seeing other clinical signs. Again hard time in general breathing (which would cause the wheezing), fatigue, weight loss, etc

Sent from Petguide.com Free App