Pain killers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Pain killers?

Hey guys, my 29 week old pup is suffering from some pain in his joints (possibly pano), can I give him baby aspirin to help ease the pain?
LingLing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

NO. No over the counter human pain meds.

You need to see a vet to diagnose the pain, and then likely prescribed anti inflammatory and pain medications

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

They can take enteric coated aspirin. Give after food. When Sadie has joint pain I give her one after meals. At 100 pounds vet said she can have up to 2 per day. If you go to Walmart, go to the pharmacy section to get it. Go back to the pet section and find the dog aspirin. It's the same thing. The difference is only in price - not product. But do ask your vet for the strength. Not sure at that age. BUT DO NOT GIVE IBUPROFIN OR TYLENOL!!!

I'm the ALPHA
45yearsofGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

No. Aspirin is horrible for pets. Dangerously increased risk of gastric bleed and organ damage. I don't work with a single vet that condones or recommends it, it is considered a very cheap and old school thing to recommend in the field when there are much safer prescription nsaids

Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Old 05-15-2014, 01:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

And the enteric coated ones can be even worse!! (This coming straight from the mouth of the vet I'm working with tonight). The coating on enteric aspirin can cause it to stick to the lining of the stomach and can cause an overdose when suddenly multiple tablets are in the stomach

Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

Old 05-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Buffered aspirin if you have no other choice. Coated aspirin is the worst for a dog its useless. Ask your vet. Not sure why the pet companies sell coated since it doesn't get digested and goes into the intestines. It than can cause problems in the intestines.

http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/Aspiri...henDangers.htm
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Many vet RX pain meds are very affordable -- if your vet's prices are high, just ask for enough to get you through the next few days, and ask the vet to allow you to fill the rest of the script elsewhere.

Carprofen (generic Rimadyl) costs about 0.75/caplet ordered through KVsupply.com, with your vet's prescription. Walmart pharmacy even now carries it.

Vet-prescribed Tramadol can be filled at any human phramacy with your vet's RX for under $10 (it's even be on the $4 generic list at some pharmacies). Metacam/meloxicam can also be very cheap.

Drug cost really need not be a deterrent to veterinary-prescribed pain management.

Last edited by Magwart; 05-15-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.