Tumor in 20 mo. old GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Tumor in 20 mo. old GSD

I noticed my 20 month old, female licking an area under her front left 'armpit' this AM. I checked the area and found a large nasty looking lump! I am fairly certain it was not there yesterday.

It is very red with a slight amount of blood from her licking it, very raw looking, size of a smallish egg.

My vet was out today, so I ran her in to the emergency vet. At first the vet thought it was probably a wound that got infected or a mast cell tumor. They performed a needle biopsy.

Diagnostic Test Results:
Fine needle aspiration revealed a mixed inflammatory (~70% eosinophils, 20% neutrophils, 10% macrophages) and ephithelial population. Only two mast cells were noted on the slide.

Vet feels that it is probably not an infection or a mass cell tumor after reading the results, but some other type of tumor and put her on the following meds-

Medications:
Simplicef (200mg): Give 1 tablet orally every 24 hours for 7 days. Give with food and give until gone.
Rimadyl (75mg): Give 1 tablet orally every 24 hours for 7 days.
OTC Benadryl (25mg): Give 2 capsules orally every 8 hours. You will need to purchase this medication from a local pharmacy.

Vet said that she thought it would be a miracle if it disappeared in the next few days and that it probably would have to be removed surgically and biopsied.

Any thoughts at all of what this could be???? I am frantic with worry.....
farnln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Your best option for answers is trusting your emergency vet or get a second opinion with your main vet. Anyone on here will be professional guessers.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am following up with my vet tomorrow.
Just wondered if anyone else has had a dog this young have a tumor.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hmmmm.... oncology is definitely not my specialty. Inflammatory could be a good thing, could be a reaction vs. a neoplastic concern. A few mast cells can be seen on normal aspirates and not be a huge concern. I would have the entire mass removed and sent off for pathology review. That way if it does come back as something malignant you already hopefully have it remove and got clean margins.

Do I normally see tumors that young? No. Have I? Unfortunately, yes, but it's rare.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Visited vet this afternoon.

He feels that it is either a histiocytoma or a mast cell tumor. Probably leaning towards the histiocytoma because of her age, but it is rather large for a histiocytoma.

Vet wants it out sooner rather than later.

Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Best of luck! Hope they can get this taken care of for your kiddo
Old 05-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Best of luck, keeping you and your girl in my thoughts and prayers.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I was going to say, given her age and it looking the way it sounds, histiocytoma - which I think I am not spelling right - sounds like a good bet. My golden had one on his side when he was younger. Mast cell tumors can be a pretty common thing too. They have different grades, and as long as it is a grade one or two, they tend to be isolated and once removed with proper margins (they need deep margins), they don't tend to happen again.

Wishing you guys luck!
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 05:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

She ended up having TWO masses removed on Friday.

By Thur. eve. another, much smaller, growth had appeared on the outside of her thigh. We wouldn't even have noticed it (hidden by thick hair), but she was itching and digging at it frantically.

The larger one began swelling while vet removed it, so she ended up with a cortisone shot during surgery. She has 4 staples & a bunch of stitches in her 'armpit' now and has to wear the 'cone' most of the time as she just can't leave them alone. She doesn't seem to be in any pain though.

The larger mass was sent out for testing and the results won't be back for a week or so.

Lab question?-is it normal to have ANY mast cells in aspirate? Also, can someone explain the original aspirate results to me?-(~70% eosinophils, 20% neutrophils, 10% macrophages) and ephithelial population. Only two mast cells were noted on the slide.

What, if anything does this indicate? Does it mean that 70% of the cells aspirated were eosinophils? and what does that indicate?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

A few mast cells can be normal. Rapid growth especially when poked is concerning and very mast cell like. The other two cells are white blood cells. Neutrophils normally attack infection eosinophils are normally present during something like an allergic reaction. They show an inflammatory response, beyond that cytology is not my strong point

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.