Seizure, 1st one - high stressed dog. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Seizure, 1st one - high stressed dog.

I've read this forum for 8 years, that's Tessa's age, my GSD. I've gained some wonderful knowledge, thank you. I am asking for some opinions and been there situations please.
Today Tessa went into a seizure at the groomer (kennel place) as soon as my daughter got her inside the door. Tessa has been to this kennel at least once a year while we travel and goes there 2x a year for a bath, etc..
It was a full blown typical (what I've read) with loss of control, shaking, foaming at mouth and recovery taking several minutes.
We went to the vet, recommended by the groomer. I went inside to speak with the tech. We are pretty sure taking Tessa in there to another high stress situation would not be good for her. The tech said all the Dr. would do is a neuro evaluation and if we wanted we could wait to be fitted in, or take Tessa home and keep an eye on her, and bring her back for a 4 o'clock appt.
For the past 5 years +/- Tessa has not had a annul exam, I take her to the mobile vet at the equine center for her yearly vaccinations.
Should I take her for a check - up? Would there be any health issues discovered as the cause for this seizure? Should I wait a few days and let her recover before putting her back in the high stress situation? She has always been a "high strung" GSD, is it possible that she seizured from the situation? Any insight will be greatly appreciated. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Unhappy Seizure, 1st one - high stressed dog.

I've read this forum for 8 years, that's Tessa's age, my GSD. I've gained some wonderful knowledge, thank you. I am asking for some opinions and been there situations please.
Today Tessa went into a seizure at the groomer (kennel place) as soon as my daughter got her inside the door. Tessa has been to this kennel at least once a year while we travel and goes there 2x a year for a bath, etc..
It was a full blown typical (what I've read) with loss of control, shaking, foaming at mouth and recovery taking several minutes.
We went to the vet, recommended by the groomer. I went inside to speak with the tech. We are pretty sure taking Tessa in there to another high stress situation would not be good for her. The tech said all the Dr. would do is a neuro evaluation and if we wanted we could wait to be fitted in, or take Tessa home and keep an eye on her, and bring her back for a 4 o'clock appt.
For the past 5 years +/- Tessa has not had a annul exam, I take her to the mobile vet at the equine center for her yearly vaccinations.
Should I take her for a check - up? Would there be any health issues discovered as the cause for this seizure? Should I wait a few days and let her recover before putting her back in the high stress situation? She has always been a "high strung" GSD, she is only comfortable here in her house, is it possible that she seizured from the situation? Any insight will be greatly appreciated. TIA
Old 05-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

being high strung does not cause seizures. you want to see the vet at 4 for the neuro check. most likely an onset of epilepsy. easily treated and managed with low cost meds. that being said this is cause for concern and cannot be ignored.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can only give you worse case stuff. Two Rotts with cancer and a shepherd with something probably along the lines of epileptic seizures. But there's too many possibilities for guessing. There's no other choice but a Vet, and tests. I hope it isn't something too bad Anita. Good luck.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My last GSD was 6.5 years old when she had her first seizure. Since she developed them at a later age I suspected it was something else going on with her.
I would definitely see your vet and I would also keep a log on her seizures so that you can track of the frequencies. Did she have any vaccinations recently?
Good luck, I know that seizures can be very scary for both you and your dog.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

One of my dogs had a few seizures, and it turned out he had a very low thyroid. Once on thyroid medicine (cheap!), he never had another seizure. It's worth checking out.
Ares
asja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

go to the vet appt at 4!!!!!!!!!!!!

no reason to wait....

Good luck!

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Go to the vet appt - this dog should not be vaccinated again. Not saying the vaccine caused this one, but vaccines are for HEALTHY animals only. She may have an underlying condition (low thyroid) or she may have epilepsy. Either way, I would talk to your regular vet about not vaccinating her again.
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dogs rarely start with epilepsy at her age. It is very rare. I would go to the vet. There is most likely an underlying problem. You may need to be referred to a neurologist.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

What gsdsar said. Generally speaking seizures starting this late is more a clue that there is something wrong inside, whether it is a metabolic reason or a brain tumor, it should be looked at. Vets should be giving an exam even if they come out to your house. Without taking vitals, looking the animal over for potential signs for disease, giving vaccines has a huge potential to cause harm instead of what the goal of them is.
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.