German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Horrible Rash - Vet Clueless...help? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/449730-horrible-rash-vet-clueless-help.html)

HARTMYRESCUES 05-13-2014 03:48 PM

Horrible Rash - Vet Clueless...help?

1 Attachment(s)
This morning, I went to rub my hand over her back while she was eating and she yelped. I was shocked, so I attempted to find out what was going on. She would not let me touch her back. She was very sensitive. I was able to feel a lump on her back.

Let's backtrack... we have three dogs - she's our only GSD. They play in a small lake or reservoirs out back with trees and shrubs that surround it. Houses surround the lake. We do have brown recluse, black widows, water snakes, copperheads, etc. I cut down a lot of the brush in a localized area behind our house. There is a common area, we do not sit right on the lake.

Each day, I take them out about three times a day. They play and swim. Saturday, she was bathed... no signs of pain or swelling. Sunday, they played with some friend's dogs while we chatted. Although the dogs were near, she did go under some brush whereas normally she's right next to me.

So, we go to the vet, she was so sensitive that they sedated her to shave her back. I was in shock at how badly her back looked. The vet has no idea what may have caused it. She has little holes all over her back. They were oozing from the scabs being torn off from shaving her. All this to ask... do you have any idea what it could possibly be?

Attachment 209226

Liesje 05-13-2014 03:51 PM

Flea allergy? Though the top of the back is kind of a weird spot for fleas, but that's my first guess.

Sunflowers 05-13-2014 03:55 PM

Oh. gosh, poor baby. Many GSDs have such sensitive skin. Those to me look like infected bites of some sort.
Chigger bites, maybe?

What worked for us on Hans's multiple and constant skin sores was the iodine regimen, plus putting Penaten cream on the sores. Penaten is like a miracle. Zinc accelerates healing and has been a Godsend to us.

The iodine regimen:

A Simple Remedy to Treat Dog Skin Infection

Penaten:

Penaten goes a very long way. All you need is a very tiny bit, otherwise it gets really sticky.

use2b 05-13-2014 04:03 PM

this will sound crazy but I am an old man who has cured dogs the vet could not cure with " very used motor oil " new oil will not help or work at all.
very old burnt oil from a terrible running car has stuff in that old oil that will kill anything on a dog. I know it sounds crazy but it has always worked for me. good luck

HARTMYRESCUES 05-13-2014 04:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you... I'll have to look into those medications. She's on Sentinel - no sign of fleas. I posted some close-up pictures. They almost look like pencil stab wounds. My other dogs swim in the same water, but no reaction like this. The vet speculates a follicle reaction. ?

Attachment 209250
Attachment 209258

HARTMYRESCUES 05-13-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by use2b (Post 5513258)
this will sound crazy but I am an old man who has cured dogs the vet could not cure with " very used motor oil " new oil will not help or work at all.
very old burnt oil from a terrible running car has stuff in that old oil that will kill anything on a dog. I know it sounds crazy but it has always worked for me. good luck

That's a new one! I don't have really old motor oil. I don't change it myself... I take it to the dealership. I'll have to remember that one! Maybe Coca-Cola... hey, it cleans batteries. Okay, perhaps a bad joke.

Sunflowers 05-13-2014 04:07 PM

Ow, ow, ow...oh, my heart goes out to that poor dog.

What did the vet say to do? Those need to be disinfected, otherwise it will be awful :(

HARTMYRESCUES 05-13-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5513202)
Oh. gosh, poor baby. Many GSDs have such sensitive skin. Those to me look like infected bites of some sort.
Chigger bites, maybe?

What worked for us on Hans's multiple and constant skin sores was the iodine regimen, plus putting Penaten cream on the sores. Penaten is like a miracle. Zinc accelerates healing and has been a Godsend to us.

The iodine regimen:

A Simple Remedy to Treat Dog Skin Infection

Penaten:

Amazon.com: Penaten Cream ( 150 ml )(Packing Maybe Vary): Health & Personal Care

Penaten goes a very long way. All you need is a very tiny bit, otherwise it gets really sticky.

Awesome...I'm ordering it now!

Sunflowers 05-13-2014 04:11 PM

Great. You can get the iodine at the drug store.
If her back is that raw, it may sting, so I would get a muzzle. If she can tolerate an ice pack, that might help. too.

I have had that tin of Penaten since December 1 and still have 3/4 of it.

HARTMYRESCUES 05-13-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5513314)
Ow, ow, ow...oh, my heart goes out to that poor dog.

What did the vet say to do? Those need to be disinfected, otherwise it will be awful :(

They gave me no topical to treat it. Just antibiotics, analgesic, and pain med.