Horrible Rash - Vet Clueless...help? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Normally I avoid antibiotics, but I would give them in this case. The area is very large and the bacteria need to be controlled.

Please be sure to purchase a probiotic so as to replace the gut bacteria the antibiotic will kill. Otherwise you will add diarrhea to her problems.

The iodine is wonderful to have in the house and is great for any skin things that crop up.
Is it still bleeding as in the above pics?
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by use2b View Post
this will sound crazy but I am an old man who has cured dogs the vet could not cure with " very used motor oil " new oil will not help or work at all.
very old burnt oil from a terrible running car has stuff in that old oil that will kill anything on a dog. I know it sounds crazy but it has always worked for me. good luck
Burnt motor oil is an old regimen........we would mix it with flowers of sulfur from the drug store. Yes, it helped. Of course they gave kids sulfur and cod liver oil to kill worms when my grandmother was little. Every spring. The dog we used it on ultimately developed skin cancer. I am a big fan of old time/natural methods but burnt motor oil is full of all kinds of cancer causing stuff. Not sure what she got into though.

When Grim got a staph infection on his paw the vet had us soak him twice a day in provodone-iodine in addition to the antibiotics.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post

When Grim got a staph infection on his paw the vet had us soak him twice a day in provodone-iodine in addition to the antibiotics.
Works wonders, that stuff! Should be in everyone's medicine cabinet! I thought it would stain, but diluted as per the above video to look like iced tea, it does not stain.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Normally I avoid antibiotics, but I would give them in this case. The area is very large and the bacteria need to be controlled.

Please be sure to purchase a probiotic so as to replace the gut bacteria the antibiotic will kill. Otherwise you will add diarrhea to her problems.

The iodine is wonderful to have in the house and is great for any skin things that crop up.
Is it still bleeding as in the above pics?
Yes, she's still oozing. I have iodine...should I put it on now, or wait?
HARTMYRESCUES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Silver Shield Gel (collodial silver)
Amazon Amazon

Worked wonders on Jax when she has infected elbow callouses. Provided instant relief from the itching

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Silver Shield Gel (collodial silver)
Amazon.com: Nataure's Sunshyine Silver Shield Gel 3 oz. tube: Everything Else

Worked wonders on Jax when she has infected elbow callouses. Provided instant relief from the itching
Thank you!
HARTMYRESCUES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTMYRESCUES View Post
Yes, she's still oozing. I have iodine...should I put it on now, or wait?
I would talk with the vet. The iodine I used was a dilute solution and I soaked him in it for 10 minutes at a time. What I did was soak towels and hold them on his paw. ........... But ask the vet!

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can put coconut oil on the rash. It is very soothing. Calendula cream would also be helpful.

I would keep him out of that water until the rash has healed. AFter that he should be thoroughly rinsed when he comes out.

Last summer Rafi got a horrible rash in his groin from something in the lake. It spread and spread. I tried everything but it wouldn't completely go away. The vet finally sold me Chlorhexidine pads and I treated him for two days and the rash was gone!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

You may want to get a shirt for her to wear for the next little while as well. It will help with sunburn, ensuring she doesn't get any oozing or antibiotics on furniture and help the wounds heal.

I'm at a loss on a cause. Any poison ivy or poison oak in your area. My brother got it bad with blisters once.
Oliver'smom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Could it be a hotspot? Moses had one a few years ago that went from the size of a dime to the entire side of his face over night. Do a search on here for Moses hotspot and you can see pics and treatment recommendations.

Vertericyn is handy to keep on hand.

Something else to consider:

Pythiosis of the skin (or cutaneous pythiosis) results in the development of swollen, non-healing wounds, and invasive masses of ulcerated pus-filled nodules and draining tracts. Tissue death (necrosis) follows, with the affected skin eventually turning black and wasting.

Causes

This infection is caused by direct contact with water that accommodates Pythium insidiosum, a water borne fungal parasite. It is usually swallowed or inhaled by the dog, and from there makes its way to the animal's intestinal tract.

Last edited by GSDAlphaMom; 05-13-2014 at 05:28 PM.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.