environmental hazard? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default environmental hazard?

I live in a suburban neighborhood. Lately when I walk my dogs, I am seeing dead animals on the grass near the sidewalk, such as dead squirrels and birds. They don't seem to have injury, nor are they in the street. For instance, the latest one was a dead squirrel in the knot of a tree. Looked just peacefully asleep, except didn't move when Ashley sniffed it (right before I yanked her back). I wonder what is killing them and I thought of stuff all our neighbors are having their yards sprayed with. Seems like humans are always competing for the prettiest yard. (And if that sounds like sour grapes, it most likely is since I have three big dogs.) Seriously though, I have noticed more and more grass treatment trucks in the neighborhood.

Two years ago, our lab got deathy ill. We almost lossed him and even the vet never did come to certain knowledge about what was making him sick. Now I wonder about these chemicals because at that time, we were over in our neighbor's yard with the dog all the time and he loved to roll around in her grass. To take this a bit further, a few years ago, you could go all your life and never know someone with a brain tumor or on kidney dialysis, now I hear of this every day. Does anyone know exactly what the grass is being sprayed with? Does anyone think I'm crazy?
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Are you around widow makers? lots of little animals turned crispy in seconds from one of those.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

What are widow makers?

I know I have seen more squirrels with tumors on them than before. And a bald cardinal. [that was ugly-looks like a tiny vulture]......

I don't use yard chemicals and keep my dog off the grass or wash his feet when we get home if he walks on it. Same with search training.

Since I quit using these chemicals, I have slowly seen things in my yard like lightning bugs, bees, etc. I really think we are going to find Roundup is a major issue, JMO.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I guess living out in BFE, I'm a bit sheltered from major yard chemical use. But I will say, I wouldn't mind something that'd kill squirrels in my yard... greedy little rodents steal every last pecan off my trees every year... Anyone who's grown pecan trees knows how long a process that is.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Big Transformers that step down the electricity from higher levels above to lower levels in your cable wires.

Death of a few hydro men and many furries that get close.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I absolutely agree 2000% it's the chemicals. You may want to consider documenting all of these events and seeing if there is an agency in your county (such as board of health) that can look into it.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think I will do that. I didn't know the term "widow maker" but yes we have them, but two of the squirrels were in knots in the trees, presumably their homes.

Apsel, you are just funny.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sorry im engaged to a cable guy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Tell him to be careful!

My husband said to call the lawn service company, give them my neighbor's address and ask to see the MSDS sheets on whatever they spray her lawn with. He doesn't think they are allowed to refuse.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

You mean I'm required to tell you what I do to MY yard? <generic you> That would so not fly in my neck of Texas.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.