German Shepherds Forum banner

environmental hazard?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Lilie 
#1 ·
I live in a suburban neighborhood. Lately when I walk my dogs, I am seeing dead animals on the grass near the sidewalk, such as dead squirrels and birds. They don't seem to have injury, nor are they in the street. For instance, the latest one was a dead squirrel in the knot of a tree. Looked just peacefully asleep, except didn't move when Ashley sniffed it (right before I yanked her back). I wonder what is killing them and I thought of stuff all our neighbors are having their yards sprayed with. Seems like humans are always competing for the prettiest yard. (And if that sounds like sour grapes, it most likely is since I have three big dogs.) Seriously though, I have noticed more and more grass treatment trucks in the neighborhood.

Two years ago, our lab got deathy ill. We almost lossed him and even the vet never did come to certain knowledge about what was making him sick. Now I wonder about these chemicals because at that time, we were over in our neighbor's yard with the dog all the time and he loved to roll around in her grass. To take this a bit further, a few years ago, you could go all your life and never know someone with a brain tumor or on kidney dialysis, now I hear of this every day. Does anyone know exactly what the grass is being sprayed with? Does anyone think I'm crazy?

#3 ·
What are widow makers?

I know I have seen more squirrels with tumors on them than before. And a bald cardinal. [that was ugly-looks like a tiny vulture]......

I don't use yard chemicals and keep my dog off the grass or wash his feet when we get home if he walks on it. Same with search training.

Since I quit using these chemicals, I have slowly seen things in my yard like lightning bugs, bees, etc. I really think we are going to find Roundup is a major issue, JMO.

#4 ·
I guess living out in BFE, I'm a bit sheltered from major yard chemical use. But I will say, I wouldn't mind something that'd kill squirrels in my yard... greedy little rodents steal every last pecan off my trees every year... Anyone who's grown pecan trees knows how long a process that is.

#6 ·
I absolutely agree 2000% it's the chemicals. You may want to consider documenting all of these events and seeing if there is an agency in your county (such as board of health) that can look into it.

#13 ·
No, he doesn't mean YOU have to tell me, but perhaps the folks who sell the stuff might have to IF ASKED. Like for instance, I work at a non-profit and we have to show tax returns, which include how much money our senior officers make, to ANYONE who walks in off the street and asks to see them. It is a matter of public knowledge. I think he means that chemicals being used in the environment are also a matter of public right-to-know.

#15 ·
I'm not sure about your neck of the woods, but here we contact our County Extension office when we have such questions. I've always found them very informative.

One time all the Pecan trees on our property started dropping large limbs. I thought I had some sort of insect. I called them and someone actually came out to my home. Turns out the type of Pecan trees I have "self prune" every so many years.

It's important to note that had my trees had an insect or disease, I would have been required to treat them or destroy the trees to protect other trees. Just FYI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.