Exercise Poo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Default Exercise Poo

Beau has always been one to have stools towards the soft end but not diarrhea, We are at the point where the first morning poo which is, honestly, about 10 inches long in short pieces, is firm, dark, and does not leave a residue when picked up.

We have gotten there with digestive enzymes and probiotics.

But as we exercise or if he does scentwork or is even just outside.....he continues to produce more which is lighter in color and soft....to the point that I really cannot pick it up effectively..it is like he empties it out before it has a chance to absorb the water back.

He does not seem to have ill consequences of this other than picking it up is a chore for me. I know, though, that it is not optimal. Fiber has not helped this problem (e.g. pumpkin).

There are zero signs of allergies on his skin, eyes, etc. And he is not an itchy dog.

Suggestions for this scenario. First stools hard. Soft later.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

My dogs have all been this same way. I have never been concerned. But would love to hear other people thoughts.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Have you ever tried Psyllium Seed Husks? It comes from the Plantago ovate plant which is rich is soluble fiber. Funny thing about psyllium is that it is used for constipation OR diarrhea! It can stabilize bowl movements in some pets/people. It also helps to detox the colon! You can start out with 1/4th teaspoon and then work up to the amount that keeps your dogs stool steady. Once using it, if the increase of the psyllium begins to loosen the stool up again, back off to previous dosage, hold there and watch.

Moms

Here is an organic, gmo free product: Buy Non-GMO Organic Psyllium seed husk (Plantago ovata) - Oregon's Wild Harvest
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Some of the GSDs that I have owned have done this. Does not matter what you feed them. I feel that the dog gets ride of all waste so he can be at the top of his game. He is excited. Knows that activity is coming and wants to be ready. Early defecation can be the result. Some things I have tried that helped was feeding a little less, spreading out the feeding times and exercise times a little farther apart.
HOBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Poo thread, got to love it. My Jack Russell and my GSD both eat the exact same food and have different texture stools. JCT, is small, rock hard sausage shaped ends. My GSD has softer stools, massive, leaves traces on the ground. I know the digestive enzymes and the bentonite (animin) with the coconut oil help's a lot. A dog at the vet, shedding on the couch there, was given the head's up about coconut oil, this dog was a shedding machine. The only thing I can GUESS is, the JRT has a more efficient digestive system the GSD. > ?
sehrgutcsg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Rusty's poop is like this when we get out of the car at training class or when we start on a hiking trail. He's excited, overly eager to get started. It's mush, hard to pick up.

At home or just out & about casually his poop is solid & well formed, easy to pick up with no residue left over.

Guess I never worried about but am curious about the responses your thread will get.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

All my dogs including Jedda have done that, too. Even though Jedda's on raw now and has compact little poos at home, she'll still have a softy about 10 minutes into a hike. I think what wouldn't normally come out for a while, and would have more water absorbed by the intestines, gets stimulated to be evacuated by the exercise. In my opinion, no worries! I don't think adding fiber would necessarily change anything about exercise poo!
kjdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Wonderful sounds like I am not alone but not sure why some dogs don't do this.
I have some psyllium I take (Konsyl unflavored, all it is is psyllium) and I thought about that....I guess it sure can't hurt.

If we are going out to work, I do cut his rations a LOT just before work.

It is terrible to pick up though.......Sure enough our morning walk, after a productive morning poo, I still filled two bags with the loose stuff and the last of it I could not get up.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Our dogs have always been that way too. They can have absolutely perfect firm, bouncy poop at home, but after running around at the park chasing balls or any other kind of intense exercise it's much softer.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

My dog do exactly the same. Sometimes twice after the first poo. We have to avoid streets with restaurants and other business in our way back home because is very dificult to pick up all the stuff
truff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.