Found another Tick on Meiko - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Found another Tick on Meiko

So this the story. The first time I went to my vet I received either k9 advantix or frontline. The second time I went I received vectra. His last dosage of vectra was on yhe 20th of April. We went to the dog park monday. Checked him for ticks after we got done but mayne we didnt look good enough and found one today at training. A coulple weeks aago I went pick up more meds from my vet and they gave me k9 advantix 2. My question is what would you guys recommend for flee and tick meds. And also why does my vet keep switching them up? And since I found a tick on him, can I apply another dosage of flee and tick meds?
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I use K9 Advantix and have never had an issue.

No, you can not apply more before hte month is up and definitely not a different kind

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am using NexGard, it's a newer product.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No. Use a natural line of defense instead of another pesticide.

Garlic (many here swear by springtime - google it)

and/or wondercide (cedar oil spray, you spritz on every few days or after dog gets wet and then dries)...kills on contact and acts as repellent
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I use K9 Advantix and have never had an issue.

No, you can not apply more before hte month is up and definitely not a different kind
Just got off the phone with my vet and they said its ok. Im starting to think I can't trust them. They gave my puppy his rabies shot when he was 3 months old. I just recently found out that new jersey state law sais you can't give them rabies shot until 4 months. When I asked them about it they told me he was almost old enough.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also we had the tick pulled out at training today. The trainer said she grabbed all of it when she pulled it out. We still felt a little bump so we tried to see if anything else would come out of it. We squeezed it sorta like a pimple and it had like a black tip and almost like dry skin but it wasn't really a scab because we pulled it out of his skin. Should we be worried?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

You will sometimes get a bump from inflammation but you should be able to inspect the tick and see the mouthparts. NEVER pull a tick with your fingers as you can squeeze the infection into the dog and you are getting it on your fingers.

I LOVE this tool. love it love it love it. I think there are two sizes but it is very easy to use and it has never left behind the head for me.
Tick Twister at PETCO

As far as preventive - I am in the garlic camp. I do still pull off a few ticks but not as many as when I used insecticides so I think it more effective.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about your tick issue.

When your dealing with ticks treating your animal alone will not cure the issue. I always recommend chewable to my clients like trifexis or comfortis.. (I'm in the Pest Control Industry)

I would inspect the pet bedding and walls around the areas your dog frequents. A product like Boric acid will help in those situations.

Also treating your property by keeping the grass short and treat longer grasses and shrubs with a product that has Bifen in it will help too.

If you have to go to the dog park than you must frequently check your pets. Unfortunately no matter what product you have on your pet will require the tick to bite down, once that happens the tick should die. I've seen ticks and fleas living on my own animals that were treated so you must check them regularly.

The easiest would be to stay away from those areas.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

FWIW, I do a twice daily tick check on my dog during tick season. Many ticks have to be on the host for a specific amount of time before disease transmission starts. Staying out of those areas is not do-able. We back up to woods and he is a working dog who is in the woods and fields a lot of the time.

Best thing I EVER bought for my yard was nematodes from Arbico organics. They are amazing.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 05-07-2014 at 09:50 PM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman1stclass View Post
Just got off the phone with my vet and they said its ok. Im starting to think I can't trust them. They gave my puppy his rabies shot when he was 3 months old. I just recently found out that new jersey state law sais you can't give them rabies shot until 4 months. When I asked them about it they told me he was almost old enough.
Yeah, that vet sounds sort of sketchy. I've never heard of a reputable vet giving a pup the rabies shot before 4 months. And it would worry me that he keeps switching up the flea/tick treatment. Anytime I use a chemical treatment, I find one that works and stick with it. The more chemicals the puppy is exposed to, the higher chance of a negative reaction. I'd probably look into a different vet.

Also, I've started the garlic based flea/tick preventative and it's been stellar so far. My dog gets his dose of garlic every day and he gets sprayed down with the Wondercide before we hike or run at the park. No problems so far.
Pax8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.