German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Found another Tick on Meiko (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/447626-found-another-tick-meiko.html)

Airman1stclass 05-07-2014 07:41 PM

Found another Tick on Meiko

So this the story. The first time I went to my vet I received either k9 advantix or frontline. The second time I went I received vectra. His last dosage of vectra was on yhe 20th of April. We went to the dog park monday. Checked him for ticks after we got done but mayne we didnt look good enough and found one today at training. A coulple weeks aago I went pick up more meds from my vet and they gave me k9 advantix 2. My question is what would you guys recommend for flee and tick meds. And also why does my vet keep switching them up? And since I found a tick on him, can I apply another dosage of flee and tick meds?

Jax08 05-07-2014 07:47 PM

I use K9 Advantix and have never had an issue.

No, you can not apply more before hte month is up and definitely not a different kind

LaRen616 05-07-2014 07:48 PM

I am using NexGard, it's a newer product.

GatorBytes 05-07-2014 07:56 PM

No. Use a natural line of defense instead of another pesticide.

Garlic (many here swear by springtime - google it)

and/or wondercide (cedar oil spray, you spritz on every few days or after dog gets wet and then dries)...kills on contact and acts as repellent

Airman1stclass 05-07-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5488130)
I use K9 Advantix and have never had an issue.

No, you can not apply more before hte month is up and definitely not a different kind

Just got off the phone with my vet and they said its ok. Im starting to think I can't trust them. They gave my puppy his rabies shot when he was 3 months old. I just recently found out that new jersey state law sais you can't give them rabies shot until 4 months. When I asked them about it they told me he was almost old enough.

Airman1stclass 05-07-2014 08:12 PM

Also we had the tick pulled out at training today. The trainer said she grabbed all of it when she pulled it out. We still felt a little bump so we tried to see if anything else would come out of it. We squeezed it sorta like a pimple and it had like a black tip and almost like dry skin but it wasn't really a scab because we pulled it out of his skin. Should we be worried?

jocoyn 05-07-2014 08:56 PM

You will sometimes get a bump from inflammation but you should be able to inspect the tick and see the mouthparts. NEVER pull a tick with your fingers as you can squeeze the infection into the dog and you are getting it on your fingers.

I LOVE this tool. love it love it love it. I think there are two sizes but it is very easy to use and it has never left behind the head for me.
Tick Twister at PETCO

As far as preventive - I am in the garlic camp. I do still pull off a few ticks but not as many as when I used insecticides so I think it more effective.

Ganzuelo 05-07-2014 09:04 PM

Sorry to hear about your tick issue.

When your dealing with ticks treating your animal alone will not cure the issue. I always recommend chewable to my clients like trifexis or comfortis.. (I'm in the Pest Control Industry)

I would inspect the pet bedding and walls around the areas your dog frequents. A product like Boric acid will help in those situations.

Also treating your property by keeping the grass short and treat longer grasses and shrubs with a product that has Bifen in it will help too.

If you have to go to the dog park than you must frequently check your pets. Unfortunately no matter what product you have on your pet will require the tick to bite down, once that happens the tick should die. I've seen ticks and fleas living on my own animals that were treated so you must check them regularly.

The easiest would be to stay away from those areas.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jocoyn 05-07-2014 09:47 PM

FWIW, I do a twice daily tick check on my dog during tick season. Many ticks have to be on the host for a specific amount of time before disease transmission starts. Staying out of those areas is not do-able. We back up to woods and he is a working dog who is in the woods and fields a lot of the time.

Best thing I EVER bought for my yard was nematodes from Arbico organics. They are amazing.

Pax8 05-07-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airman1stclass (Post 5488210)
Just got off the phone with my vet and they said its ok. Im starting to think I can't trust them. They gave my puppy his rabies shot when he was 3 months old. I just recently found out that new jersey state law sais you can't give them rabies shot until 4 months. When I asked them about it they told me he was almost old enough.

Yeah, that vet sounds sort of sketchy. I've never heard of a reputable vet giving a pup the rabies shot before 4 months. And it would worry me that he keeps switching up the flea/tick treatment. Anytime I use a chemical treatment, I find one that works and stick with it. The more chemicals the puppy is exposed to, the higher chance of a negative reaction. I'd probably look into a different vet.

Also, I've started the garlic based flea/tick preventative and it's been stellar so far. :) My dog gets his dose of garlic every day and he gets sprayed down with the Wondercide before we hike or run at the park. No problems so far.