He won't/can't poop? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default He won't/can't poop?

Okay, so I recently acquired a rescue GSD about 5 days ago. He's a big, healthy 2 year old male. For the first two days he wouldn't touch anything to eat, not even cookies (treats). I figured it was just due to stress and a new environment, so gave him a few days to adjust. Well, he finally started eating and will now gladly take cookies. Now, he eats about 2 cups of his food a day before he gets full, although the amount he eats slowly increases each meal, until today.

He barely touched his food today, but he drinks plenty of water and is not lethargic, just anxious. I noticed that he wouldn't poop or pee while on a lead, but only in the back yard. I have been working with him so that he learns it's okay to poop on a lead and while not in the back yard.

I can hear his stomach gurgle and growl and he acts anxious and whiny which seems to be out of character for him. He just seems antsy because he needs to poop, but he refuses to! I just took him out front on his lead and he squatted down twice to poo (yay!!), but nothing but gas came out. He still looks and feels bloated at the back of his abdomen, so I know it's in there! He hasn't been out back today, but I will be taking him out back in about 30 minutes to see what happens. I know he's just playing the stubborn card...

Could he just have a bad case of gas?? Or do I have a paranoid pooper on my hands? Or has anyone else experienced this? I have read about bloat and now I'm paranoid!

(NOTE: I had to start him on what I assume to be new food for him because I can't get in contact with his old owners to see what he was eating with them, so I know he's having tummy issues due to the immediate switch.)
RiserGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Looking at the symptoms of bloat, he doesn't match any of them... He doesn't walk funny, he isn't lethargic at all, he's just as active as before, he ate some grass earlier and was able to vomit it back up twice, he hasn't had any vigorous exercise other than walking to potty, and he is still acting fine other than not pooping.

Stool sample was clear and he has a clean bill of health other than the pooping issue.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Can you try a longer leash? Maybe it's too close and he feels insecure? How about a long walk. That always gets my guys pooping!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Can you try a longer leash? Maybe it's too close and he feels insecure? How about a long walk. That always gets my guys pooping!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
We have tried several long walks, that doesn't seem to help. I finally got him to squat and try to poop but nothing but gas came out. I have a 15ft training lead that I will try if it's just because he's paranoid and insecure. We're out back and waiting to see what he does ATM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Aaaaaaaand, he pooped ._. I answered my own questions. I have an insecure pooper. Sigh.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiserGSD View Post
Aaaaaaaand, he pooped ._. I answered my own questions. I have an insecure pooper. Sigh.
Yay!!!

I was hesitant to ask you if you took your pup to the vet before or after he stopped eating to clear his stool samples...

It's difficult providing medical advice over a forum.

<3
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i dunno, i'd be worried. stress can bring on both bloat and torsion, and the symptoms aren't always the same. the eating grass and vomiting worries me too. i truly think a vet visit is in order.

ps...please re-think the "stubborn" issue, dogs do not have that human emotion. dogs operate primarily upon instinct. no stubborn or getting even or vindictive in the dog brain.

again, i'd be real concerned. hope i'm overreacting and that it's just an upset tummy from stress.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

well yay!!! appears i was over-reacting. i'm a better safe than sorry kinda girl, lolol...
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

last year our dog was deathly ill.i spoke to the vet over the phone and he said give her an enima ASAP. it was our 1st canine enima ,it was scary and we were nervous-but it saved our dogs life.i now keep an enima bottle for dogs in my canine 1st aid kit.
pineconeforestGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yep, he's already seen the vet and was all clear. The vet was telling me that he's just being "funny about his business" and said he's A-okay, just that it's gas due to new food without a transition period. Stool was clear, no blood, or mucous, or worms/parasites.

I'm still keeping a close eye on him because he was eating and throwing up grass. He's happy now and less anxious and started eating again.

Just an insecure pooper, so I will start with training in different enclosed areas with the 15ft lead. He's such as mess lol.

I swear, I was this . Close to giving him an enema because I thought he could've been constipated because he refused to poop for 24-30 hours. I worked at a vets office for several years so I have experienced some very odd situations with pets! However, because everything else was ruled out I was starting to get nervous! I tend to go into panic over-drive when it's my own pets lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.