German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Help Needed. Ehrlichiosis (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/447345-help-needed-ehrlichiosis.html)

Otis 3 05-07-2014 08:39 AM

Help Needed. Ehrlichiosis
 
Hi Guys,

I am very worried about my 4 years old german shepherd.
He was diagnosed with ehrlichiosis a week ago. Blood tests were done with his white blood cells count almost zero. He was ehrlichiosis positive.
He is very very weak , barely standing on his legs. He is taking doxycycline 2 times per day 200 mg. Total 400 mg per day. He is 42 kg.
So after 4 days on doxy there was no improvement and 2 days ago his left paw was swollen. I called the vet and he told me that whatever it is , it will be ok because of the doxy that he is already taking. Anyway the next day his opposite leg got swollen all the way from the shoulder to the paw. This morning he was not well at all and I took him immediatelly to the vet again. We made blood tests and they showed no improvement in the blood counts. Again the white cells were almost 0 and the red very low. He made him an injection and also reduced the doxy to 200mg per day and gave me also Cefalexin to take it together with the doxycycline.
Also told me that it is a mirracle he is still alive with those blood counts and that if he makes it through the weekend he will live.
By the way I forgot to tell you that he is drinking too much water and urinating a lot as well. The vet told me his kidneys are Ok. Also there is no diarhea and there is no vomiting. Right now he is eating only raw meat because this is the only thing he accepts.
Anyone has an experience with this terrible disease. I want to know because as I can read in the net most of the dogs respond to the therapy within 24-48 hours. Why mine is not responding. Also today he made a test for Lyme disease and also Babiosis and both tests are negative.

HarleyTheGSD 05-07-2014 12:22 PM

I'm very sorry to hear this! My 19 month old has this as well, though it's not showing. Reading your post, though, has me worried. :(

Otis 3 05-07-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5485482)
I'm very sorry to hear this! My 19 month old has this as well, though it's not showing. Reading your post, though, has me worried. :(

Hi There,

I am very sorry for your dog. If you have not started treatment yet , then start it right away , do not wait for symptoms. This is very cruel disease.

HarleyTheGSD 05-07-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otis 3 (Post 5485906)
Hi There,

I am very sorry for your dog. If you have not started treatment yet , then start it right away , do not wait for symptoms. This is very cruel disease.

We have started the treatment. He takes four pills once a day. I just hope it doesn't get bad. :(

JakodaCD OA 05-07-2014 02:10 PM

I think if I were you, I'd be going to a different vet and pronto.

I would want further testing done and it doesn't sound like this one is doing much at all.

My dog is chronically positive for erhlichiosis, no clinical signs, but when I do treat her, she is on 5mgs per body weight TWICE a day of doxy.

I would want something done NOW, if this were my dog, the swelling concerns me, the tons of drinking concerns me, the no white blood cell count concerns me.

Find another vet or ER ..

Traveler's Mom 05-07-2014 02:10 PM

I am so sorry you are both going thru this. I am sure LisaT will step in to comment. I recommend you go to the tick list
Tick Disease discussion list <TICK-L@APPLE.EASE.LSOFT.COM>
Wonderful knowledgeable people over there. Very experienced. I'm not sure if my link will work or not but she'll surely be along as soon as she reads this to give the correct one.
Lynn & Traveler

Otis 3 05-07-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA (Post 5486242)
I think if I were you, I'd be going to a different vet and pronto.

I would want further testing done and it doesn't sound like this one is doing much at all.

My dog is chronically positive for erhlichiosis, no clinical signs, but when I do treat her, she is on 5mgs per body weight TWICE a day of doxy.

I would want something done NOW, if this were my dog, the swelling concerns me, the tons of drinking concerns me, the no white blood cell count concerns me.

Find another vet or ER ..

Hi There,

actually we did go to another vet 2 hours ago. The same result. Positive for ehrlichia. Negative for lyme. Negative for babiosis. The kidneys and liver are OK. Treatment - doxycycline 5mg per kg per day ( total 200 mg per day ) Both vets could not explain the swollen front legs. They believe that it is a secondary infection and thats why the first one gave me also Cefalexin.
Also I called a vet that I have abroad ( I also have another dog with my parents in another country ) , so the vet told me that with the few cases that he had with ehrlichiosis , he treated with doxycycline 5mg per kg / 2 times per day , together with 40mg Solu Medrol injected 3 times a week in order for the doxy to be effective.
I am getting crazy with the vets here.

JakodaCD OA 05-07-2014 07:16 PM

I would up the doxy dosage, 200 mg per day is wasting meds that won't do anything.

I had my 75# dog on 400 mg TWICE a day..

Are there any specialist/board certified surgeons/facilities in your area?

You may be getting the same results, but I don't think the protocal they are prescribing is helping..:(

I haven't heard of the injections, but anything is worth a try

gsdsar 05-07-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA (Post 5487930)
I would up the doxy dosage, 200 mg per day is wasting meds that won't do anything.

I had my 75# dog on 400 mg TWICE a day..

Are there any specialist/board certified surgeons/facilities in your area?

You may be getting the same results, but I don't think the protocal they are prescribing is helping..:(

I haven't heard of the injections, but anything is worth a try


I agree. That dosage is not right for E. Canis. I would double it and then split it between two doses.

The swelling if the legs could be edema, not infection which could be because of the anemia and lower white cell count.

I don't know what country you are in, but I would have my dog hospitalized.

My male had ehrlichia. He was on a much higher dose of Doxy.

Good luck. I hope he feels better.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Otis 3 05-09-2014 01:20 PM

From Today we are on 300mg doxy per day ( 2x 150mg ) and 16mg Medrol per day ( 1 time per day ) . He is also taking Cefalexin 500 2 times per day for the swollen legs. By the way the swollen legs are much better now and the right one is almost back to normal now. By tomorrow the other leg that was much more swollen should be ok as well. As for the ehrlichia treatment there is no improvement but the vet told me that we should see results after day or two. The good think is that he is eating at least some meat but I find it very difficult to give him the pills. The first 5 -6 days it was easy as I was putting the pills inside the meat and also in peanut butter , but he discovered it and now he is checking everything twice before eating it. I have to improvise for new methods because he has to take his pills at any cost.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2