German Shepherds Forum banner

Recurring UTIs

2K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  Bonzay 
#1 ·
Our female puppy has had Urinary Tract Infections off and on ever since we got her, and to be honest, we're getting really frustrated with the situation. Please forgive me for this long post, but I want to be as thorough as possible.

The first time we saw symptoms I took her to the Emergency Room, and they put extra water under her skin (for lack of a better expression), used K-Laser to help with the inflammation, and prescribed Amoxicillin for seven days.

Three days without antibiotics later the UTI came back, and the vet took a sterile urine sample to get a urine culture. They also took an ultrasound, which turned out to be ok, and did the (pricy) K-Laser for three days. The results from the urine culture came back, and it turned out that the bacteria were resistant to Amoxicillin, so we received another antibiotic, Baytril. After that, I think she was UTI-free for five days before it returned.

This time we saw a different vet who prescribed Zeniquin. I also started to give her cranberry extract every day and after two weeks of no signs, I thought she was fine for good. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Since it didn’t happen on a weekend or late in the evening, we were finally able to see our regular vet. He ordered another urine culture, and these results showed no resistance to Amoxicillin. I gave her the last dose on Sunday, but sure enough, she started squatting again yesterday afternoon. She even peed inside later, and I was certain she has yet another infection. I got a urine sample this morning, brought it to the vet and guess what, it turned out to be negative! She is still squatting today, peeing three, four times within a short period of time and I can’t believe the results came back negative. Does anybody have an explanation for this? I ordered PetAlive’s UTI-Free, but it won’t get here till next week, and I’m not sure how to proceed at this time. Your feedback is very much appreciated, thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you given her vitamin C supplements? C will help raise the acid in the bladder and help keep the UTI's at bay. I would start with 500mg(human grade) of EsterC and over a week double the dosage, then you could go up to 2000mg(1000am and 1000pm) to keep that acidity level high. C isn't stored but flushed out of the system so you can't overdose it. Though it can be hard on the gut when first introducing it.

#4 ·
What are you feeding her? I'd get her off grains and make sure she drinks plenty of water

#6 ·
If she's eating grain, it could be playing into the UTI's. The cranberry extract you gave is a source of C...though maybe it wasn't enough. How old is your pup....I would not do the EsterC for a young puppy(it has calcium) but go with a natural C with rosehips and only do 500mg for a youngster.

#8 ·
I feed raw so am not the best one to ask about kibble advice. There are plenty of threads on the subject though! If I were to feed kibble I'd probably go with earthborn holistics meadow feast or wellness. They both have the right calcium/phosphorus ratios for growing pups.
How old is your pup?

#10 ·
You're not alone Lucie is now 17 weeks old and has been suffering with them for the past 10 weeks.

She is now on her 4th round of antibiotics and 3rd different type of antibiotics.

We has to have cystocentisis I think it's called where they use a needle to get a sterile urine sample right from her bladder. We have also paid for more urine tests than I can count ones we've obtained from Lucie ourselves.

Usually by the 3rd day she's off antibiotics is when it reoccurs again. Our vet has told us she should grow out of this and our breeder says there have been no issues with any of her litter mates.

We've about reaches our limit with this whole thing but the vet says to try the medicine for 3 weeks instead of 10 days.

We love our Lucie dearly and will do whatever is needed to ensure she gets rid of it once and for all.

So you're not alone and don't lose hope it's frustrating to no end but keep hope something will work!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#11 ·
Do either of your pups have recessed(inverted) vulva's?

#13 ·
andrea04, I'm so sorry to hear that you have the same problems! It helps to know that we are not alone though, and I thank you for sharing your post :) Hopefully our pups will both be healthy soon! I will try the vitamin C supplement that onyx'girl suggested and UTI-free once it gets here, and of course I'll tell you how and if it works.

Yes, she has a slightly inverted vulva. One of the four vets we visited said they could alter it when she gets spayed, but I really hope she won't have to go through that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.