Help!! Anal fistulas - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help!! Anal fistulas

Hi, okay I'm going to start off in the very begining so please bear with me!
In 2009 I bought a cute little GSD. He was around 12 weeks old. He is ACK registered. I bought him in Kentucky. I picked him up and he was covered in fleas. On our way back home I stopped and got flea shampoo and free medication. He was eating perina puppy food. All was going good. 6 months goes by and I'm now living in Tennessee. Again, all good with charm. (The GSD.) one day I was driving and he was in the truck bed. He pooped and started to eat it. I didn't think anything of it but I pulled over and cleaned it up and told him no. A week or two later, a guy in front of me hit a deer. My boyfriend and I at the time waited for the deer to die and took it to teach me how to gutt a deer. While gutting it my dog look off with the leg. I didn't think it was bad. At the time I was stupid enought to let him have it. He ended up eating alot of the deer. (Mistake on my part.)
Everything was going okay still. A few weeks later charm got kicked by a horse we think because he came back to the house limping. We took him to the vet, got him Xrayed and was told he had hip displasia. He started on some meds. (He took them for about a month and the limping went away so stopped)About 2 months later I moved back home to Chicago (with charm.)
He is about 7 months old at this point. He starts to have trouble pooping. He can't go, at all. We took him to the vet and we were told he's depydrated. They give him an IV he he goes within an hour. About a week goes by and he's having trouble pooping. He's trying and trying but nothing is happening. Take him back to the vet, they give him some loose stool meds for us to take home. They work. The Worked so good now he just leaks poop. he leaks about a size of a quarter of diahrrea when he tries. We bring him back to the vet and they examine him. They tell us he has anal fistulas. We start treatment (medication and cleaning him, clipping the hair around his anus, everything we try. We do. Nothing is working- for about 6 months he doesn't get any better. Starting to look real sick, loosing weight, not eating. (On prescription dog food at this point.) nothing is working. We take him to another vet for a second opinion. Same thing. Keep doing what you are doing. He's not that bad where we need surgery. Keep doing what we are doing for another 5 months. Nothing is changing. He look like a dog you'd see off TV that's starved, he leaks from his butt, but at the same time, he loves to play! You throw that ball and **** run after if for hours! (He's drinking water still and eating but just can't poop) we have trying raw diet, cooked chicken, dry food, wet food, organic food, you name it, we have tried it! Money is not an issue when it comes time to our love ones, 2 feet or 4 paws.) we go to another doctor for another opinion ( still friends with our first vet and she refers us to this other one) he tries laser treatments. Wow! They worked! He actually had a few soild poop with the treatments and medication and topical ointment! We after 2 months it went back to the start. The vet told us this is just what it is. He will never get better. It will come a day where you decide when to put him down. He's not in pain. He leaks poop. When he tryies to go poop he does hurt. But it's more of a sanitary issue because he's leaking all over your house. It's been years charm has been having trouble pooping. He is a great dog. The reason they won't do surgery is because the anus isn't bad "enough." He is 5 now. We still haven't have up on him.
When I say we I mean me and my dad and mom. I'm grown and married now but my dad fell in love with charm. He really is a loving dog and when we moved my dad asked if he could keep charm. I agreed. I can't afford to get the dog lasered every week and all the medication he is on. Thank heavens for wonderful human grandparents charm has who loves him unconditionally.
I told you all of this because yesterday I got a call from my mom who was crying. Charm isn't doing good and they will have to put him down if they can't get him back up. They want to give him one more great go. Any information, any suggestions, anything would be great! I'm flying home tonight to start some homeopathic remedies on him. I will be keeping you all updated. this is my first time asking a "forum" for help but I feel that after spending thousands of dollars on this pup maybe we are looking at it to in depth. Thank you so much for reading
Michelle_loher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry....we've had members here with dogs that suffered this condition.

You may want to ask a moderator to move this to the "health" section of the forum.

The reason I suggest that is your thread may get more responses and suggestions in that section as this is the 'puppy behavior' section.

I hope someone can give you supportive advice that helps your dog!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is a very painful issue

Been there done that twice, The vets you went to, don't sound to educated in fistula's.

Check out this site perianal-fistulas

And join their email list.

You've got a couple of options, different medications..One I would consider is removing the anal glands. BS that they are telling you surgery can't be done because it's not 'bad' enough?

That site should list vets in areas that are "up" on fistula's.

Another thing you can try is Desitin, as in baby diaper rash creme..Shave up the area, keep it clean, use a Q tip, insert Desitin IN and around the fistula(s) twice a day..

Desitin isn't a cure, but it may relieve some pain, and can possibly close up the fistula(s) depending on how bad/far gone they are. Canned pure pumpkin added to food can aid, (1 heaping T each meal)

Your best source of info is to go the link I posted above and I'm moving this thread to the health section..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Couldn't this dog have EPI (exocrin pancreating insufficiency) in addition to the PF. Loose stools, eating poop, weight loss. I would check that out before putting him to sleep. EPI can be managed.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

WD suffered from the AFs. he had all the same symptoms and was in a lot of pain. I tried just about everything and finally decided to end his misery when three great independent vets didn't see a healthy future for him. It was devastating and I am hurting for you. That was last year and I never regretted it but it was the toughest thing I had to do in my life. Please do not let him suffer too long if there is no hope.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

absolutely, the majority of dogs with true PF Disease (not caused by anal gland issues) also have other issues, epi, allergies, sibo, etc.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
absolutely, the majority of dogs with true PF Disease (not caused by anal gland issues) also have other issues, epi, allergies, sibo, etc.
True, WD was only 1 year old and looking back he had so many infections. As an 11 week old pup he had two bladder infections that were hard to clear up, Demodectic mites, Giardia, diarrhea daily, a nasty dog odor, yeast leasions and then the oozing of pus out of his peri anal area and the pain with defecating.
I broke down in Petco when I was shopping for a muzzle so I could treat him. he was always such a great dog and this AFs thing was making him aggressive.
I am wishing you much strength and peace for your dog.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I had one with PFs in 2005 (ish) and the help I got from that group saved me from a bumbling vet and gave my dog several years of comfort and remission. That site and the support groups is invaluable. I can't give advice now because they have learned a lot more than when I dealt with it. .......... wishing you some resolution and comfort for your great dog. EDIT, Oh one thing we did do was give him a fiber supplement (I think unflavored metamucil) that made the stool soft but held it together for him and made pooping so much more comfortable while retaining control. I am sure there is advice on that as well there.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you everyone. I am back in Chicago right now with him. I will be up here
For a few weeks to try and clear this all up once and for all. He does have good allergies, and alot of health problems. I posted this on my
Phone and who ever moved this to the health page- thank you! I am not familiar with working these "forums." Thank you.
Another "side note," he doesn't seem to be able to control his poop, watery diarrhea, he has no control over umm passing gas and having poop come out. Thoughts?
Michelle_loher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 06:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would really get a feeling for his quality of life. It is not bad to let a dog go if it is his time. You also have to consider your parents and it sounds like they are doing a lot of what they can. My guy with PFs had a lot of allergies and was prone to bacterial overgrowths with bloody mucousy stools. It may be (ask the vet) that a combination of Flagyl, probiotics, digestive enzymes, and the appropriate fiber additive may help with that. I hope you can get on the PF-L list as it really has folks who have dealt with this long term.

Have you given him a run on Hills Z/D food? It is designed for dogs with allergies (so common with dogs with PF) and may buy you some time to figure out ...... mine with the condition could not tolerate chicken and once we cleared that from HIS diet, things got a lot better.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.