German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Lawn Care and health (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/442153-lawn-care-health.html)

SuperG 04-23-2014 06:49 PM

Lawn Care and health

I'm curious as to how much thought you might give when it comes to fertilizers and weed killers being put on your lawn where your dog will be?

SuperG

Lilie 04-23-2014 07:03 PM

I personally, don't use any. The only thing I use is Fire Ant killer and that is also do to the safety of the dogs!

Heidigsd 04-23-2014 07:06 PM

I don't use chemical fertilizers/weed killers at all.

SunCzarina 04-23-2014 07:15 PM

It's a catch 22, if you don't fertilize your grass won't survive the summer. If you do fertilize, you have to keep the dogs off the lawn for a while.

I've tried a bunch of natural lawn products, trouble was they're poop, bloodmeal, bonemeal products so the dogs want to eat them. This year I'm trying this
http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/S...orth_std08.jpg

Had to fence the dogs off the back lawn for 2 months anyway. There was nothing left of last years lawn except a few random pieces. I didn't fertilize at all last year because we had a new puppy. Who knows what a puppy's going to eat so I just seeded.

This year, lime, fertilizer, seed and a covering of peat moss to hold it all down. It's coming up nice, needs a little patch work but nice. Maybe some of it will survive the winter...

jocoyn 04-23-2014 07:24 PM

My dog yard (in the back) is mulch and leaf litter and stuff like that

My front yard is bermuda grass it gets milorganite and I have embraced the "zen of weeding" - between scanning and getting the weeds when young and using horticultural vinegar on them I do ok. Of course Bermuda is good to fill in brown spots from the vinegar. That said my lot is only 0,4 acre and it is a cul de sac so the grass front and side yards are not so much. Small enough to even cut with a reel mower.

I have really convinced myself that since I never had a dog with cancer until I started with lawn chemicals and spot on flea and tick meds that I would stop that nonsense. We have been Roundup/herbicide free for about 5 years now. I get by bug stuff (mainly beneficial nematodes) from Arbico Organics

K9POPPY 04-23-2014 09:10 PM

Fertilizers and weed killers and GSD's don't mix- residues can stay around for long periods. I wouldn't chance it- Bob

readaboutdogs 04-23-2014 09:45 PM

Yes I'd like to know how to get rid of those old goat head stickers! I haven't hardly used chemicals over the years, never liked the smell or the fact the dogs lick their feet and track into the house! We had a couple really hot dry summers and the stickers went wild! I pulled them up one year and I swear the next year they were worse! I know I should water to let the grass keep growing, and my neighbor said not to bag, my mower is a mulcher so he said let it mulch and it'd help fertilize, didn't seem to do much! Where would you get the horticultural vinegar? Would regular vinegar not work? I'd like to learn more on no chemical lawn care!

SuperG 04-23-2014 09:57 PM

Appreciate the replies...thank you.

Over the years ..as far as fertilizer goes..I have used Ringers Lawn Restore which works very well and claims to be safe for pets. Ringer Lawn Restores is made of pellets pressed from hydrolyzed meal; these pellets contain poultry feathers, nitrate of sodium, potassium sulfate, bones and soybeans.

I wonder if I am just fooling myself into believing it is not harmful ????

SuperG

SunCzarina 04-23-2014 11:33 PM

Sounds like the stuff I used 2 years ago. Morgan went OCD to break into the back lawn so she could eat it.

AngelaA6 04-24-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunCzarina (Post 5420993)
This year, lime, fertilizer, seed and a covering of peat moss to hold it all down. It's coming up nice, needs a little patch work but nice. Maybe some of it will survive the winter...

Might be a silly question but why would you put peat moss down? My husband has spent the past two years trying to kill it in our front yard. It's like three inches thick....