German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   My 12 year old boy with arthritis (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/441737-my-12-year-old-boy-arthritis.html)

gnet158 04-22-2014 06:37 PM

My 12 year old boy with arthritis

Hello everyone, my 12 year old boy Toby has arthritis in the rear legs. It really seemed to get bad since the new year. He's been on the Petsmart supplments since age 9 and haven't been any major changes until the new year. He's gotten bad.

We took him to the vet last month to do x-rays, blood work, etc. The Dr. gave him a cortozone shot in the office which seemed to help and then send us home with a prescription (not at home right now so don't know the name). It's been three weeks + and he's not showing any signs of improvement. :help:

Called the Dr. and now and he suggested another cortozone shot with some cortozone pills to help keep the effect. I had second thoughts about going that route and asked if there was anything else we could try. He suggested adding pain pills to what he's already taking so that's what I'm going to try.

My poor boy has a hard time walking, he can't walk more than a few houses. He PLOPS him self down instead of laying down. And when he pees he's rear legs are more like he's laying down. Breaks my heart.

Is there anything else we can try? I've been looking online and came across:

Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM for Large Dogs

Does this work? I really would like to go the natural route instead of the Pharma route. But don't know what works or does not. Anything else members have used with success?

Thanks for reading and caring!

llombardo 04-22-2014 06:58 PM

Find a vet that offers the laser treatment. A friend if mind is doing this with his senior dog and it has worked so far.

carmspack 04-22-2014 07:00 PM

this is good Duralactin

K9POPPY 04-22-2014 07:42 PM

I am not going to try to tell you what to do, but what your vet has suggested is quite possibly the best for your dog, at age 12, you are so lucky to have him with you, and the need to make every day comfortable is paramount. Nutramax is fine. Enjoy every day with him! IMHO, Bob

SuperG 04-22-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K9POPPY (Post 5415761)
I am not going to try to tell you what to do, but what your vet has suggested is quite possibly the best for your dog, at age 12, you are so lucky to have him with you, :)and the need to make every day comfortable is paramount. IMHO! Bob:)

Well said.

SuperG

gnet158 04-22-2014 09:00 PM

We are and will continue to make the best choices for Toby, no doubt. The thing I didn't like was the way he was willie nille, when I started to question him it was only then that he suggested the pain killers. We just want the best for our boy (as do we all).

asja 04-22-2014 09:59 PM

I give my dog Dasuqin with MSM, and I think it's good. My dog is 9 and doesn't appear to have arthritis, so that's good.

My older dogs got Adequan injections, which worked very well. Adequan is a super strength glucosamine. It has been several years now (since my older dogs both died in 2008), but I remember there was a loading dose of two injections every week for a month, and then monthly injections. It worked very well. You could ask your vet.

wolfy dog 04-22-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asja (Post 5416609)
My older dogs got Adequan injections, which worked very well. Adequan is a super strength glucosamine. It has been several years now (since my older dogs both died in 2008), but I remember there was a loading dose of two injections every week for a month, and then monthly injections. It worked very well. You could ask your vet.

Got my oldies a few more comfy years.

asja 04-23-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 5415545)

How does milk protein help?

Waldi 04-23-2014 10:17 AM

My 12 yo golden has arthritis and she has been struggling sometime with walking. I did some research on supplements and fount “Sierra Sil 14” and decided to try it. I was amazed with results on my dog, where after 3 days of treatment she would start running again. I only give her this treatment when she is visibly in pain and cannot walk. After she is fine for few months. She just had an episode where we could not walk with her and had to split walking with my gs puppy and golden into separate walks. I sprinkle Sierra Sill over her food (she hates the taste of it but will eat anything LOL) in two day she was like new. I will add that I used the same specific on my shoulder injury and had similar results.