German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Dog attacked my shepherd, need input for several things... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/441505-dog-attacked-my-shepherd-need-input-several-things.html)

KotaRT 04-22-2014 08:43 AM

Dog attacked my shepherd, need input for several things...

Ok folks....

I was making decent progress with my pup until yesterday. :(

If you don't know, I am working with Healing Guardians Healing Guardians*"Saving Dogs & Rescuing Veterans" - Home ....in order for my dog to become a PTSD/TBI service dog. I have been working with Dom since essentially the beginning of his venture with the non-profit...and I am eternally grateful for the help he has provided! So if ANYONE needs some guidance on service dog stuff let me know, I can meet with you, help you get in touch with Dom, or even just give your dog a friend to run around with, etc... it is very tough to find people like this who do great work and don't make you wait 2 years to get a dog.

I digress...

So yesterday, I was working my dog at the dog park...doing my normal little 5-10 minute training sessions just to give him a quick refresher which I do multiple times a day when I don't teach him something new. My pup is 11 months old, and very playful. I love that about him. Since I am an irritable ******* and everyone hates me because of how I am now...he has helped get me out and social, and lessen the amount of jerk in my soul. lol.

Some random guy comes in the dog park. My dog, being fun and curious goes up to his dog and sniffs the dogs face and neck and wants to play. IMMEDIATELY - the other dog snaps at mine. Now a lot of you may say..."well **** if a human got in my face, I would do the same thing." Well, sure...but dogs are supposed to have these things called 'owners' who do this thing called 'training'. Animal neutral exercises are what I have worked on a lot, as far as sitting my dog face to face with other dogs...laying him on top of other dogs etc. ****, even just socializing a dog as they are growing will prevent them from behaving this way (at least it has for mine).

You dog training pros, feel free to correct me, I can be wrong sometimes....I'm just trying to set the stage for you all.

ANYWAYS! Sorry, today I am all over the place. So I let that one go. I was getting ready to pack up all of my pup's things when I heard the most god awful thing any handler would want to hear. My heart dropped. My dog about 200 feet away, eyes clinched shut, yelping/screaming as loud as he could, while the other dog was still chomping away. My dog ran to me and laid in my lap. I was scared ****less the other dog had gotten his eye(s) but he didn't (thank goodness). So far, I only found some punctures in the lips/gums, scratches, and I would like to take a look at his neck really good, because his fur is reallllly thick. I don't want to miss anything.

The other owner didn't stick around long. He saw I was looking at his face and mouth and taking pictures and left. No worries though, funny thing about being on a military post is...well...most people probably know where you live or who you are anyways...so even if you think you're slick...you're not.

My dog AT MOST probably either was running around the dog, tried to hump him maybe? I'm not entirely sure. He never barks unless he's threatened, and is a true sweetheart. So it really sucks to see him suffer.

So my question to you all is WHAT would YOU do?

-Of course I mean in regards to, let the wounds heal themselves with a little help from antbiotics without going to the vet? (I only say this to save money)

-Going to the local Military Police Station to file a report? I AM NOT SURE WHAT ACTIONS THEY WOULD TAKE! I also don't know if this would be appropriate action, cinsidering the circumstances.

Any other suggestions? I thought I had other ideas, but I guess my brain wants to be all complicated today.

Folks, please don't take this thread in the wrong way, I'm not LOOKING to hurt or do harm to anyone or anything. Believe me...the last thing I want is attention. I am extremely open minded when it comes down to it. I just want peace and quiet, but with the situation I am in currently with the accident I had (I was hit and run by a drunk driver, and had to pay medical bills as active duty which is unheard of)....money is VERY VERY tight...so any "surprise attacks" on the check book, are debilitating. I know it sounds stupid, and it is...but believe me...if I could control what happened to me and all the money that I don't have any more I would ;)

Thanks for the input in advance...and if you made it through all of this without wanting to kick my ass or thinking I'm annoying, I will offer you a hug or a cookie, your choice.

Here is one of the puncture wounds I mentioned, I am guessing treatment will probably be antibiotics and let it heal on its own. I wouldn't see any reasin for sutures in that area. I will have to look at everything else though to be sure.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/...psu4kmxuuu.jpg

carmspack 04-22-2014 08:58 AM

right to the chase -- get your dog out of the dog park .

this
"Some random guy comes in the dog park. My dog, being fun and curious goes up to his dog and sniffs the dogs face and neck and wants to play. "

"IMMEDIATELY - the other dog snaps at mine.

parts removed .

"this thing called 'training'. Animal neutral exercises are what I have worked on a lot, as far as sitting my dog face to face with other dogs...laying him on top of other dogs etc. "

Your "training" is anything but neutral . Not from the dog's perspective and they are the ones experiencing the emotional discomfort . Very invasive .
Please go read the
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...zation-20.html

llombardo 04-22-2014 08:58 AM

Never trust the owner of another dog to train their dogs, this is why dog parks are not generally a safe place to go.

wolfstraum 04-22-2014 09:16 AM

First off - sorry to hear you are having problems with the military stuff and got hurt....and also very very very sorry to see that your pup got hurt!!!!!

I have to wonder at what type of training you are being encouraged to do from your descriptions!!!!!! But I TOTALLY agree with Carmen. What you are admiring and training for is exactly what I, as a breeder, an owner, an experienced trainer, abhor about dog parks!!! Teaching a dog to lie on top of other dogs is not socializing!!!! It is aggressive and dominance! In this instance your dog was not under control, your dog was allowed and encouraged to approach and even try to dominate a strange dog...and unfortunately, he paid the price by being attacked and hurt. In most cases, it would have been your dog who actually attacked the other dog with the behavior you describe...but that would come down the road if you continue training for this type of behavior.

Dog parks are not good places IMO....things like this happen all the time...dogs get ambushed, attacked and hurt.

I would get the dog to a vet. He needs a specific course of antibiotics with punctures in the mouth...not just anything you have lying about.

Amurphy26 04-22-2014 09:18 AM

If there are a number of puncture wounds I really think you have no option but to make a visit to the vet. You have a partnership with your dog, he helps you and in return you provide him with food and look after his health. I say this as the owner of a dog who died following a dog attack. Her puncture wounds healed well, even the deep ones in her ear but there was nerve damage to her spine that wasn't immediately apparent.

Also it doesn't matter where you are, dog park, beach, town etc don't let your dog run up to others and if it does and a warning snap is made, get your dog under control. I have a reactive dog and regularly take her to areas with other dogs and eye to eye contact with another dog terrifies her, I dread to think what she would do if another dog tried to hump her! She may not get aggressive but my work with her would definitely be set back.

Hope the wounds heal and your dog makes a full recovery.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

carmspack 04-22-2014 09:33 AM

100% and more if possible agree with Wolfstraum.

That is why I started the socializing thread because we see so many young dog's put into situations that will affect them adversely for a very long time.
OR ill prepare them for a well socialized life .

What you did in YOUR attempts to socialize the dog did not help your dog one speck.

Actually OTHER DOGS socialize your dog .

Your dog was impulsive , went into the personal space without ritualized meeting and greeting , and paid for it.

You have to go to the Vet and get anti biotics. Looks like your dog got a pretty good penetration in the gum/jaw line . You don't want any possibility of infection or abscess which will infect behind they eyes or brain .

Sometimes having a wild zoo of activity at a dog park is a better atmosphere than entering a dog park with only one dog in it (from the dog's perspective). The dog already there could perceive the area as his private domain, his territory. The dog entering this situation may be apprehensive and then to have your dog rush him , friendly or not, was too much , too fast, too close , and your dog got a piece of canine discipline from a canine.

wyoung2153 04-22-2014 10:39 AM

I agree with carmspack.. so I won't repeat what they said.. but I'll add this...

"...tried to hump him maybe? I'm not entirely sure."

^^^This would have gotten a swift snap from my dog, who doesn't even give a rats butt about other dogs. Titan doesn't escalate, and generally gives me the oppurtunity to get the other dog off him, but if I'm not quick enough, he will get the other dog off. That's it.. not blood drawn, no escalation, just "get the F off me!" BUT humping isn't something you should be non-chalant about like "AT MOST" this is what he might have done. That's dominance in dog world and nobody likes that.

Second. When you were packing your things up.. why was your dog just running around?? To the point where you had no idea what even happened. When I am packing up to leave, Titan is with me, until I say so.

Being military, myself, I would not go to the MP on post. They will not do anything especially because no one saw exactly what happened and from the sounds of it, your dog may have actually provoked the other. If anything, they will make note and if it happens again they will have it, but it is very doubtful they will go looking for this guy.

I'm sorry you're dealing with PTSD, that is never an easy thing to deal with. Hope that you can get your dog trained and certified for that. Just try to pay a little more attention to his behaviors and what you are condoning.

DJEtzel 04-22-2014 10:56 AM

Well, I'll be pretty neutral about this.

Your dog WAS being annoying from the sounds of it, mine would have snapped at him too. It just isn't appropriate. At that point, you should have made sure he was in control (recall, don't let him bug the dog) and stayed nearer to you/away from the offending dog. The fact that you didn't know what your dog was doing to get attacked is a huge red flag. You can't be angry if you weren't even supervising your dog.

Dog parks are a huge risk. I would personally not be taking a dog to one if he was being raised as a service dog. A LOT could go very, very wrong - this for instance, could create a dog aggressive dog and he would not be suitable for work. Or, on the flipside, it could create an over-eager, happy, excitable dog that is not suitable for work because he cares more about dogs and people around him.

I would file a complaint wherever you could because a dog shouldn't be correcting a dog hard enough to start a fight with a younger dog that is not engaging him in aggression - that was over the top.

My pup got a few ear punctures in a spat this weekend, about the same size as your dog's. I had antibiotics at home that I put him on as a preventative, but it was probably not 100% necessary. Clean the wounds, let them stay dry (don't wrap or apply cream) and I doubt you will have an issue.

misslesleedavis1 04-22-2014 11:03 AM

Urgh dog parks are trouble.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

DJEtzel 04-22-2014 11:12 AM

This forum is the worst for blanket statements, I tell ya... :rolleyes: