German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Foreign body & Gastropexy Surgery (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/441353-foreign-body-gastropexy-surgery.html)

Shaina 04-22-2014 01:07 AM

Foreign body & Gastropexy Surgery

My new shepherd mix, Colt, was acting 'off' last night and I decided to take him to the emergency vet just to make sure he was okay. He wasn't showing typical symptoms for bloat or a foreign body (no vomiting or diarrhea, no fever, etc) but I could tell something was wrong. Long story short, his stomach was partially twisted and they ended up removing a sock from his intestines.

This morning was rough, but by 1pm he was hungry and eating baby food. He's eaten a few small meals of chicken/hamburger/rice/baby food and has drank some water. He is pretty out of it. He's currently on tramadol and famotidine, took his first doses of those at about 6pm.

He hasn't pooped since about 11am which was just a few specks of very soft stool. I know that sometimes after anesthesia that's normal. He's been somewhat burpy but not enough to really concern me, although he did just spit up a little bit as I was trying to put on his cone. Other than that, no vomiting (and he's eaten small meals every two hours today). I think we're on the right track.

If any of you have experience with this surgery I'd love some advice. I'd definitely love to hear some encouragement and what was normal for your dog during recovery. Keep him in your thoughts, we're not out of the woods yet!

BowWowMeow 04-22-2014 02:27 AM

Thank goodness you took him in!

Be sure to give probiotics and I would also give digestive enzymes after that surgery. I hope his recovery goes smoothly!

SummerGSDLover 04-22-2014 03:27 AM

I totally agree! So glad you took him in! :( Poor guys had a tough time of it. Keeping him and you in my thoughts for a speedy recovery and peace. I haven't had a dog go through this but I'm sure someone has!
I'm glad he's eating.

*-*Summer*-*

K9POPPY 04-22-2014 06:02 AM

Good to hear that your pup is getting better- as far as getting him back on track, go easy on the hamburger, it's often harder for a pup to digest with stomach issues, the chicken is easier, good luck on the recovery! IMHO, Bob:)

Shaina 04-22-2014 10:54 AM

Thank you guys! I've been adding a small amount of plain yogurt to the mix for the probiotic factor. His appetite is great but he still hasn't tried to defecate which I'm not sure whether or not that is normal at this point. I work at a veterinarians office and go in at 1pm today - he'll be coming with me, so at least I know the vet can point me back in the right direction :)

RebelGSD 04-22-2014 11:59 AM

Mine had full bloat and was hospitalized for three days. They kept him on pain meds. With real bloat the toxins released are a concern, they can cause irregular heartbeat. In your case this was probably not an issue. At home the recovery was uneventful. Activity has to be avoided initially, until the pexy is heals and is stronger. Good luck!

Shaina 04-23-2014 11:35 AM

Happy to report our first poop in 48 hours :) Talk about a big relief!

huntergreen 04-23-2014 02:11 PM

been there done that. after surgery we only fed some canned food that the vet supplied. sounds like all is going well. i wouldn't give any supplements or food that is not ok'd by the vet.

Anubis_Star 04-23-2014 03:50 PM

As long as it hasn't been 5-6 days or more, we don't care if they poop lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App