German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Growling with new E-collar (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/441249-growling-new-e-collar.html)

jhu8 04-21-2014 09:50 PM

Growling with new E-collar

I'm new here guys and just have a question about an issue going on with my shepherd. So a few weeks ago, my dog started licking his rear end continuously. Took him into the vet, and it was his anal glands. Had them squeezed and all seemed well. However he's still licking there and today I took him to the vet, and now the problem isn't his glands. His rear end is becoming raw from licking and he's at risk for anal fistula or other complications. So the vet gave us a E-collar for him.

Now the problem, he's growling non stop and starting to become dangerous. I've always had shepherds but this seems to be a new experience for me. I understand it's very annoying for him but not sure how to approach this. Just had it put it on today and the clips came undone this evening and he ripped out of it. Really have no idea how I'm going to even get it back on. Any suggestions on how to go about this? He also growls and get's very upset when it's medication time as well. This is just becoming very difficult at this point.

Chip18 04-21-2014 09:55 PM

I'm sorry but an E collar for that sounds flat out insane to me?? Kinda thought that's what the Elizabethan collar was for?

I'd return the E collar and find a new vet!

David Winners 04-21-2014 09:58 PM

The OP is talking about the clear plastic collar, e-collar, Elizabethan collar.

David Winners

Sunflowers 04-21-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip18 (Post 5411009)
I'm sorry but an E collar for that sounds flat out insane to me?? Kinda thought that's what the Elizabethan collar was for?

OP is talking about a cone, not a shock collar.

jhu8 04-21-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Sorry, maybe I called it the wrong thing, but it's the cone thing that goes around their neck to prevent him from licking his behind. Pretty sure the vet called it a E-collar.

LoveEcho 04-21-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure they are talking about an Elizabethan collar...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

my boy diesel 04-21-2014 10:01 PM

i am guessing he is in a lot of pain
it sounds like back to the vet for you
also perhaps one of those inflatable collars would work better

jhu8 04-21-2014 10:02 PM

yeah that's it! But yeah, he's just becoming very anxious with it. Any other methods that can be used for this? I just don't want his issue to worsen. We're suppose to apply medication to his rear end as well, so it's just all adding up to a very unpleasant experience for both of us.

Sunflowers 04-21-2014 10:03 PM

We have had problems with anal swelling and infection.

What has worked for us is cleaning back there with Vetericyn after each bowel movement, then applying a very tiny amount of Penaten cream.

You can find both on Amazon.

Before this regimen, the vet prescribed NeoPredef powder to cure the infection.
It is extremely important to keep the anal area disinfected so that the dog doesn't feel itching or pain. Putting on a collar just seems cruel, if you are not also eliminating the source of the dog's discomfort.

jhu8 04-21-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5411065)
i am guessing he is in a lot of pain
it sounds like back to the vet for you
also perhaps one of those inflatable collars would work better

Honestly I don't think he is. He's running around all the time wanting to play outside, laser, etc. It's just when its medicine time and now with the collar being on, he's getting very agitated and growling a lot! Understandable, but not sure how to approach this.