German Shepherds Forum banner

11 Month Old Female Seems Depressed? (Not Spayed Yet)

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Spooki 
#1 ·
Hi I haven't got onto these boards in a while, last time I properly used it I had probably only had her a few months. Well shes a female, 11 months old has from pretty much day one been a very picky eater, we've tried a good few different foods since getting her such as Royal Canin, Burns, James Wellbeloved and a few others that I can't think of. We did over time mainly stick to James Wellbeloved as she has very sensitive skin and it seemed to work best, plus she seemed to prefer that for for the longest (as she seems to get tired of her kibble very quickly) But getting her to eat the "proper daily amount" has always been a bit of a challenge and yes out of worry we have (annoyingly) given into mixing what we can to make her eat it (small cut up pieces of chicken, rice, banana, liver etc) (I swear she prefers fruit and veg to meat at times...:confused:) but anyway back to my question... She has yet to be spayed, we're thinking to book her in for middle of May. Our vet advised to let her go through her first cycle before getting her done as we did. She went into heat around 20th of Feb for a good month I'd say, and we were told to give it a good 8 weeks after she finished to get her spayed. So now out of the blue our always very happy loving life puppy has been acting strange on and off for about a week? (Had to be the Easter holiday weekend too:crazy:) basically the day I noticed something wrong she seem kind of quiet, and I thought as she slept outside that night she may not have slept which is sometimes the case and she may be tired a bit the next day, but over the course of that day she got very down in herself, looking sad, alot more calm on her walk not pulling on the lead like normal, going into deep sleeps and then off her food and vomiting! We were so worried that day that we booked her in for the vet as she was like this a good 24 hours. But then the next day she perked right up again to almost her normal self and demolished a bowl of chicken and rice as she just had a sudden HATRED for her kibble and had no time for it no matter what we mixed into it. So we cancelled the vet appointment as it seemed pointless going as she was compleatly fine chasing the water from the hose in the garden back to life again, we just thought it was an off day. Then she started up again I think the next morning getting sick, not eating and quiet and has been back and forth all weekend like this really.. The first day we did feel she was genuinely sick but since that when shes been on and off we can't help but maybe feel it could be some hormone related thing? As how can she seem fine when I play with her with the hose and then later on look fully depressed in her bed and not eating, she's not even drinking as much water as normal and its been quite hot the past few days here... I'm just completly confused and worried and thought maybe someone here could have some idea if this is maybe something that hormones could bring on or anything else? We have another appointment in the morning for the vet that we will not be cancelling, it's actually the first time they've been properly open since before Easter really (except emergencies), but hopefully all will be well!

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry have not been on since. Thanks for the reply! When I went to the vet the next day he noticed she had an upset stomach and said she had either picked up a bug (a kind of food poisoning) probably ate something while on a walk. He gave her antibiotics and she was back on form and to herself in no time :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.