Don't know what's wrong - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Don't know what's wrong

Zoe is a our 14 months old and has been very healthy. Friday morning I let her outside and she was acting completely normal. I put her in her crate and thought everything was fine. When my wife got home she had peed in her crate. She was taken outside then given a bath. Afterward my wife noticed she was acting very lethargic. Saturday morning she was acting a little better but still not normal. She was drinking and ate. Saturday evening she was acting even better. She was a little playful and had a little pep in her step. Still not 100% but way better than 24 hours earlier. Today she has regressed. She is still drinking but not eating. No vomiting or diarrhea. But she has zero energy. She is also extremely hesitant going up or down stairs. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow am but was just curious if anyone had any clue what could cause her to act like this so suddenly.
ndirishfan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't have any words of wisdom. Sounds like she might be in pain of some sort. I hope it's nothing serious.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

We have felt around all her joints and abdomen and she hasn't reacted like she was in pain. I'm at a loss and starting to get very worried
Old 04-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm glad you'll be taking Zoe to the vet. It's hard to diagnose symptoms over the internet...It honestly could be a number of things. Might she have gotten into something dangerous--even a plant or some kind of cleaning solution. Is she in pain from palpating anywhere. Has she gone to the bathroom.

Praying for your girl. Keep us posted about her condition please.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
I'm glad you'll be taking Zoe to the vet. It's hard to diagnose symptoms over the internet...It honestly could be a number of things. Might she have gotten into something dangerous--even a plant or some kind of cleaning solution. Is she in pain from palpating anywhere. Has she gone to the bathroom.

Praying for your girl. Keep us posted about her condition please.
She doesn't appear to be in pain. Primarily she just has zero energy which is not like her at all. Also she is apprehensive with the stairs which is unusual.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am glad you are taking Zoe to the vet. I have never experienced this with any of my dogs but one thing I always worry about is Lepto. I hope it's nothing serious and that she will be back to normal real soon.

Leptospirosis in Dogs - Signs - Diagnosis - Treating Leptospirosis

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Be sure to have the vet run a tick panel. Hope she's ok!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Whatever happen to your dog, the first thing to do - is to measure her temperature. Every dog's temperature is slightly different, and it's very important to know which is normal for your dog. Measure when your dog is healthy and relaxed. It is very easy to do, everything you need is a thermometer, a little bit of vaseline and sterilizer (some spirit). Ask your puppy to lie down on her side. Sterilize the worling end of the thermometer, put some vaseline to smooth it and push gently into her anus and hold her down for 2 minutes. Everyone can do it before taking your dog to the vet, the majority of the viral deseases start with the rise of bodily temperature.

Warm weather causes many problems (food poisoning; besides lethal infections carried by ticks, their bite could be a reason for asthmatic allergic reactions; lack of raw meat causes vitamin deficiency; warmth helps infestation of worms, etc), and if your dog is lethagic, it could be difficult to recognize sometimes, whether the reason is the outdoor temperature or it was caused by some illness. If she is hesitant going up or down stairs - something makes difficult the belly muscles to contract. Her belly may hurt - it could be a gut infection. But she could also have swallowed something - you'd need to X-ray her for that.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Took Zoe to emergency clinic. Checking for infection and flea and tic diseases. She has a 107 degree temp��
Old 04-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yikes, that's really high. So glad you took her in today. I hope they figure out what the problem is and come up with an effective treatment plan.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.