German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   HELP...Please read! (just a stitches issue) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/440137-help-please-read-just-stitches-issue.html)

belladonnalily 04-18-2014 11:39 PM

HELP...Please read! (just a stitches issue)

Tonight is 3rd night with Tuckers stitches in his rear pad. He sees the vet in the morning. He has suddenly gone nuts to tear his bandage open. He has a cone on but has managed to figure out how to work around it. So Im typing with one hand, wrestling him with the other.

How can I keep him from tearing this open? I also have Bitter Bandage over his wrap, but that doesnt seem to phase him now either. Besides tying his head to a.chair (joking...but I AM really tired), what do I do?

He's gearing up for another tantrum now...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Ellimaybel 04-18-2014 11:54 PM

Hope this helps

Homemade Tips for Keeping a Dog From Licking an Incision | eHow

Even if you can't use the suggestions, you can get connected to chat with a vet.

Nigel 04-18-2014 11:59 PM

Do you have a muzzle?

belladonnalily 04-19-2014 12:07 AM

No muzzle...I thought about that and am kicking myself for not picking one up.

Going to check out that site now.

Right now Ive put him in a too-small crate with his cone on. He looks positively miserable :(

huntergreen 04-19-2014 12:25 AM

can you get someone to run out and pick up the basket style muzzle? is he in pain?

belladonnalily 04-19-2014 01:05 AM

Theres nothing open at this hour. I dont think its pain...I think its a combination of boredom (no off leash activity...he is used to lots of both structure and free run time) and Im thinking its probably itchy. He got something for pain earlier.

Right now he is quiet in the smaller crate. I feel bad, but he just needs to get thru thr night.

I will get him a muzzle tomorrow...definitely...

Ellimaybel 04-19-2014 01:31 AM

Poor baby. Let us know how it ends up

belladonnalily 04-19-2014 07:57 AM

Well, the brat still managed to get the banadage off but the incision looks ok. Leaving for vet shortly.

I'll be picking up a muzzle on the way home.

Thanks all for responding to my frantic post! I'm thinking he is in that itchy stage of healing. Being so long and lanky, there probably isnt a cone out there that he cant figure out how to get to a back foot. Stinker!

Twyla 04-19-2014 08:05 AM

To save you some time..... Petsmart doesn't carry basket muzzles. PetCo has a variety of basket muzzle, not really designed well for GSD muzzles, but will work in a pinch.

K9POPPY 04-19-2014 08:27 AM

We've had good success with what's called a "COMFY COLLAR",sold on Amazon, is alot more comfortable for GSD's. May or may not work for you???? Bob