German Shepherds Forum banner

HELP...Please read! (just a stitches issue)

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  belladonnalily 
#1 ·
Tonight is 3rd night with Tuckers stitches in his rear pad. He sees the vet in the morning. He has suddenly gone nuts to tear his bandage open. He has a cone on but has managed to figure out how to work around it. So Im typing with one hand, wrestling him with the other.

How can I keep him from tearing this open? I also have Bitter Bandage over his wrap, but that doesnt seem to phase him now either. Besides tying his head to a.chair (joking...but I AM really tired), what do I do?

He's gearing up for another tantrum now...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#6 ·
Theres nothing open at this hour. I dont think its pain...I think its a combination of boredom (no off leash activity...he is used to lots of both structure and free run time) and Im thinking its probably itchy. He got something for pain earlier.

Right now he is quiet in the smaller crate. I feel bad, but he just needs to get thru thr night.

I will get him a muzzle tomorrow...definitely...

#8 ·
Well, the brat still managed to get the banadage off but the incision looks ok. Leaving for vet shortly.

I'll be picking up a muzzle on the way home.

Thanks all for responding to my frantic post! I'm thinking he is in that itchy stage of healing. Being so long and lanky, there probably isnt a cone out there that he cant figure out how to get to a back foot. Stinker!

#11 ·
Thanks all! Good info about the muzzles...Ive spent over $200 just on supplies for this little incident, not including vet bills (thank goodness for pet insurance) so I'm trying to research muzzles today instead of buying the first thing I find. Vet gave me Ace to give him to hopefully buy me time to do this.

If anyone else has muzzle suggestions, let me know. I can order today overnight and at least get it by Tuesday. I'm going to call my trainer today to see if he or anyone in the club might have one I can borrow.

Good news was his incision looked good. AND he was actually happy to go see everyone there today. Everyone in the clinic had to come out to see him before we left. Apparently he was a hit. Makes me feel good to know they made it a good experience for him. And they're the most affordable vet in town. I'm really lucky.

But it is obvious that he is completely over this "bedrest" crap. Vet says if I can keep the new bandage on until Monday that will be a good goal. Then just covering it to go outside will suffice. In 9 more days he'll get his stitches out, which will require another sedation because they are so deep.

I normally would hate the idea of sedating him, but I must admit I am doing a happy dance while he dozes in the kitchen floor right now.

#15 ·
Very happy to hear it. Went through it with Cleo cat when she got spayed. First she chewed the stitches so the vet gave me bitter cream. She then figured out to rub herself on the carpet to wipe it off and then chew, so the vet used a soft cone. She then figured out to go between the couch and chair and the cone would fold back. She wound up with staples and a hard cone. Sometimes they just want to be difficult lol

#17 ·
Slather some coconut oil on it and re-wrap. That should give the itch relief.

#19 ·
Going to try the coconut oil and socks/duct tape this morning. He did well yesterday and last night but the minute I dropped my guard he destroyed the boot I bought him and pulled the bandage back off.

He just gets suddenly crazy and its like gator-wrestling trying to keep him away from it :what: It has to itch something fierce. Poor boy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.